Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Let's get something going for Donaldson's

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember all too well holystoning on Donaldson's "Laurentia" westbound across the Atlantic and then chipping ice off the masts on the way back. No fun when you were the last boat out of the Lakes before the ice came. Worse still was getting lowered from the bow in a wooden plank at the locks and trying to get the lines over the bollards in a howling gale.
    But you know what, like all of us, I'd do it again in a heart beat.
    Last edited by Duke Drennan; 21st April 2011 at 11:55 PM.
    Duke Drennan R809731

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Let's get something going for Donaldson's

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Drennan View Post
    That's a good one Nils, he probably had no idea what he was in for, weather-wise, particularly if it was winter. Did they make him work?
    R734125 sailed LETITIA ,LISMORIA,SANTONA FROM 61 to 67

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi, Duke, I was 12+ months on the Eucadia, Former Lismoor, 71/72 caught up in the Indian /Pakistan war. Suez Canal closed had cargo for both countries, Kept running back and forth to Aden unload/Discharge/ Unload/ Discharge. Spnt 4 months in Aden, Worse 12 + Months i ever done aboard a ship. Terry.
    {terry scouse}

6. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Terry do you not mean the former Linkmoor. Remember her being built was run by Walter Runcimans then, before being managed from Glasgow and the offices of Anchor line. Cheers JS Runcimans at one time or another had ships Avonmoor Brockleymoor Cragmoor Dartmoor Exmoor Fernmoor Glenmoor Hazelmoor Innesmoor Jedmoor Kirriemoor Linkmoor Marstonmoor N???? O???? P????? Q???Rostonmoor T????? Ulvestenmoor V???? W????? X????? Y?????? Zurichmoor JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 22nd June 2015 at 01:56 AM.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon, Red Lead Ted thanked for this post
    Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Terry do you not mean the former Linkmoor. Remember her being built was run by Walter Runcimans then, before being managed from Glasgow and the offices of Anchor line. Cheers JS Runcimans at one time or another had ships Avonmoor Brockleymoor Cragmoor Dartmoor Exmoor Fernmoor Glenmoor Hazelmoor Innesmoor Jedmoor Kirriemoor Linkmoor Marstonmoor N???? O???? P????? Q???Rostonmoor T????? Ulvestenmoor V???? W????? X????? Y?????? Zurichmoor JS
    ####proper ships john.....a good tramp company ....all gone now....regards cappy

10. Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

think they had an orangemoor lost in the war john ......regards cappy ps i am going to bed every body is turned in ......asking brian how is his head .....and i dont mean the ships head ....will no doubt bring a torrent of abuse .....after his 80th birthday yesterday......had a few vodkas myself .....hard stuff after the little sols.....but enjoyed ......hows your whisky going ...are you down to the last case yet.......regards cappy

12. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Which last case was that Cappy, theres always a last case. Would hate to die and leave it for someone else to get cockeyed on. Makes me mad when the press out here push the case of the poor FIFO workers who are the millionaires of Perth, just don't like going away for 3 weeks at a time. They wont print anything that I write in the letter page. The first couple of months here in 91, got the shock of my life when found a certain person doing the rounds and giving talks at Unis. about a certain disaster. He was being backed I would assume by some newsman. I wrote to the paper and it all stopped. Papers like the Customs never forget their sources of info. be it good or bad. Anyhow am looking for a customs officer willing to look the other way while I shift another few cases around. Will probably be raided tonight now as they watch and listen the same as a few more depts. The walls have ears or in our case bulkheads. fancy having two bulkheads as ears. Braid is now going to incorporate a character in his next novel with a Cappy with 2 enormous ears. Cheers and I am now down to the last bottle. John S
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 22nd June 2015 at 06:09 AM.

14. Likes cappy, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes John. Your correct it was the Link moor, The Lismoors are my relative's I think a trip to the dementia clinic is overdue,

Photographer: Malcolm Cranfield [View profile] Title: EUCADIA Added: Mar 23, 2008
    Captured: IMO: 5209156 Hits: 1,514
    Photo Category: General cargo ships built 1960-1969 (Over 3000gt)
    Description:
    Anchor Line's 1961 built EUCADIA is seen on West Wharf 3, Avonmouth, discharging cargo from India, on 19th February 1971.

Built at Newcastle in 1961 as LINKMOOR for Runciman, she became EUCADIA in 1968 when Runciman and Anchor Line combined.

She lasted until 1981, when she briefly traded as SIGIRIYA before arriving at Gadani Beach on 5.2.83 to be scrapped.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    {terry scouse}

16. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

which last case was that cappy, theres always a last case. Would hate to die and leave it for someone else to get cockeyed on. Makes me mad when the press out here push the case of the poor fifo workers who are the millionaires of perth, just don't like going away for 3 weeks at a time. They wont print anything that i write in the letter page. The first couple of months here in 91, got the shock of my life when found a certain person doing the rounds and giving talks at unis. About a certain disaster. He was being backed i would assume by some newsman. I wrote to the paper and it all stopped. Papers like the customs never forget their sources of info. Be it good or bad. Anyhow am looking for a customs officer willing to look the other way while i shift another few cases around. Will probably be raided tonight now as they watch and listen the same as a few more depts. The walls have ears or in our case bulkheads. Fancy having two bulkheads as ears. Braid is now going to incorporate a character in his next novel with a cappy with 2 enormous ears. Cheers and i am now down to the last bottle. John s
    ###or balls

18. Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's her alright The Glenmoor, the Hazelmoor, the Innesmoor, the Jedmoor the new Kirriemoor all had the same type of hull features and all were built at Doxfords in Sunderland I think. When in Runciman colours they were black hulled, Cappy will tell you they were the colour of rust that's probably because he threw everything over the side or flogged it in Port Said. The funnel was Black with a white band in the middle a third of the funnel area and a big blue R insignia on. They were all I believe built as open or closed shelter deck vessels. Cheers JS

20. Likes Red Lead Ted liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast