Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Let's get something going for Donaldson's

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bill Bland R575959. Sailed on three of Donaldson ships out of Avonmouth. S.S.Delilian 2 trips 20-11-52 to 14-2-53 to sT John N.B. 3rd trip Delilian 19-5-53 to3-7-53 Montreal. Capt Mac Millian, Mate Euwing,Bos. John MacKay age 63 sang like Hank Williams, Chief steward Fraser, Chief Eng. A Mr Hays. M.V.Salacia 2 trips 16-8-53 to 15-10-53 [ droped a conrod middle of Atlantic paid off Govan]Capt. MacNie ? Wore White sand shoes with his uniform, could not get over that one.Mate a Mr Gordon, Bosun Duffy , never saw anyone with so many cig burns on their shirt front. M.V. Calgaria6-12-56 to8-1-57 Capt. Clinton, Mate Campbell believe he became a Thames pilot, 3rd mate was a Mr Telfor. Belive he wrote a book on the history of Donalbson Line. Salacia motor ship O.S job was to bag soot in bottom of funnel , only ship ever on to have to do that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Donaldson Line

What about the MV Corinaldo a fine Clyde Built Doxford engined, luxury feeder. A seaman could not ask for more. I was in a repair gang on her about 1960.
    Wonderful, wonderful the flagship of the Glasgow Pool. By the way I was drunk at the time.

regards
    jimmy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jimmy,
    Wasn't that the one they cut in half and lengthened?
    Duke Drennan R809731

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Duke,

I dont recall the Corinaldo being lengthened, at least not in the Clyde anyway. She had a long career being sold on.
    Could have been mind you.

regards
    jimmy

Gulliver Guest

Default Donaldson Line.....

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Drennan View Post
    Jimmy,
    Wasn't that the one they cut in half and lengthened?

Duke,I think you might mean the SANTONA,(of 1959)which was lengthened by about 11 metres in 1966.
    She was sold to Maldives Shipping Co. as MALDIVE TRADER in 1974. Was wrecked and broken up 1983.

She is "famous " for being depicted on the 5 Laari stamp in 1978.(pic Below)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's the one Gulliver, I remember seeing her before and after she was lengthened. The Clyde was a busy place in the 60's. I sailed on a couple of Donaldson's boats, not a bad company at all.
    Duke Drennan R809731

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bill Bland again . Jost remembered, when on the Salacia in Montreal we loaded a part cargo of wheat, engine room was asked for water on deck to washdown dust on deck, water didnot appear in hose but the old "Bunker C" fuel oil what a mess , seems the oiler started the wrong pump.Happy days. Was in montreal in 1995 on a world trip and did one of thoese bus tours of the city, well low and behold where the Cunard ships used to tye up no more warehouses or grain elevators but flower gardens.Did not get the chance to see if "Joe Beefs" was still there. Does anybody remember the sunday evening concerts on the radio from "Bells Mission". Will see if the old grey matter remembers anymore.Cheers for now to all old shipmates and Board of Trade Acquaintance's.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default phil crawley R716769

I did one trip into the lakes in the Leticia 15/10/65-17/12/65 the chief steward was Rossi Reece (spelling??) he had been chief steward on the Captain Cook, the cook had been chef in her, the food was OK but there always seemed to be just enough never any extras, we had twelve passengers, the bedroom steward was an old guy called Donald who had been with the company for years, the Tiger was Lachlan Christie from Glasgow, the second cook and baker was a Liverpool/chinese kid who had just got his rating and I remember him getting a rough ride in the galley, there was ammunition in No1, the animals from a rodeo in No2 the other hatch's were full of Islay Mist and Mc Ewan's Export, a bit of which went missing, a down below guy had a few while on watch and fell onto a console in the engine room and switched off a pump or something and put the the ship in danger, there was then a search to find any missing cargo, the weather was lousy, taking sixteen days Liverpool - Montreal, I was told we were the last ship out of the seaway before the ice closed it.
    Phil Crawley.
    Last edited by Phil Crawley; 13th April 2011 at 07:50 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lecky View Post
    I think Wally also sailed on Charlie Hill's boats (Bristol City Lines) as well. It was either the City Boats or Fyffes that I sailed with him.
    Wally was on the Bristol Ciity for awhile,I aslo sailed with him on the Norwegian for three trips,the man was an excellent cook,more like a Chef.I think his home was in Devon but he married a Avonmouth girl.

John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your memory's failing you, Duke. No wooden decks to holystone on Liberty Ships.

Ian

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast