Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Euroliner/Eurofreighter /Asialiner 1974-76

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Euroliner/Eurofreighter /Asialiner 1974-76

A collection of stories

In Wilmington North Carolina on the Euroliner while discharging, a container got stuck and the crane kept lifting, the outcome was the jib of the crane broke and collapsed over the ship, no one was hurt. I like the photo of the crane driver you can just imagine what is going through his head. The dockside guys said the rig listed and jammed the container and the ship say the crane moved or was not directly over the container. No idea what the outcome was except we had an extra day in port while the debris was removed.

There was a small pub nearby that we used to go to at lunch time and it is the first place I ever saw frozen beer mugs. The beer mugs were kept in the freezer so the beer was ice cold. We became regulars in that bar and the barmaid bought me a wee present when we left. It was a small potted plant, a Croton Hybrid, I only knew that because it still had the label on it. I keep it in my cabin for a couple of months and when I paid off in Greenock I took it home and gave it to my mother. She used to put it into flower shows and won prizes with it, but one day she moved it from where it was in the living room and it died, but she had had it for a few years.
    The calls at the Greenock were mainly to take on containers whisky being exported to the US and I remember on the Eurofreighter, in the crew bar, there was a large bottle of whiskey in the bar and this bottle never seemed to go below a ¼ empty or above ¾ full. I always thought that this was a magic bottle. However once while the ship was in Weehawken, New Jersey I was going for a drink in a local bar and as I was going through the dock gates I was stopped by two plain clothes cops. It was like something out of Starsky and Hutch they pulled up in an unmarked car pulled guns and told me to put my hands up and stand against the wire fence of the docks. They searched me and asked me where I was going, I told them who I was and showed them my shore pass and they let me go. I found out later that day that a container with whisky was missing some cases. Maybe this had something to do with the magic bottle I never found out. I believe that the only reason these ships called at Greenock was to take on whisky for the US.

On another occasion a container full of Lowenbrau beer was being loaded at Bremerhaven in Germany and it got stuck in the cell guides. The cells guides are the steel structure that the containers are slotted into in the hold of the ship. The crane driver tried to pull it back out but it got jammed and the doors were ripped off and as it was being pulled out much of the cargo fell out into the hold of the ship. The cell guides were repaired before leaving Germany but there was no time to clear out the broken beer bottles. I joined the ship in Greenock a few days later. On the way to New York we had a look in the hold and we all got together, officers and crew and salvaged about 2000 bottles of Lowenbru. This beer was taken into the accommodation and stashed where ever we could find any space. The beer lasted us almost two months (two round trips).
    On these ships we always took on stores in Greenock and part of these stores was draught Skol. The chief steward would put an order in for stores every month, however after beer miracle he did not need to order any. I heard that the catering superintendent in Denholm’s head office asked if everyone onboard had gone teetotal when he found out no beer was being ordered.

A regular procedure we carried out on the gas turbine engines was to water wash the turbine blades. The engines used to get a build up of salt for the sea air and this would be detrimental to the engines. The way this was carried out was to turn the engines on the hydraulic starter and hose the engine inlet with fresh water and degreaser. To do this you had to stand in front of the engine, in the air inlet chamber (called the plenum) and point the hose into the engine as it was turning at a slow speed with no fuel on. One captain asked if he could see this happening so he went into the plenum as this was happening and had a torch in his hand he tripped, dropped the touch and as he tried to catch a hold of it, it bounced on his hand and went straight into the engine. He was not the engineer’s friend after that as they had to change out the engine and fit the spare, an eight hour job.

On another occasion some bright spark at Pratt and Whitney thought we could carry out the same procedure by blowing crushed walnut shells thought the engine as it was running at full speed. A gas turbine engine has eight burner cans where the fuel is burnt to produce the exhaust (gas). The temperatures of these were monitored very closely and if the was a big difference between these temperatures then this was an indication that an engine may need changed out. One of the engines had a slight differential and we were told that using the walnuts would fix this. We tried it and it made no difference at all but the mates on the bridge said the funnel looked like a roman candle as the exhaust was full of burning walnut shells.

We had a boiler which was leaking and in Greenock we got welders on to repair the leaks. This was on a Friday and was a bad idea. The guys came on in the morning and set up their welding plant and started the job. I had been told by the Chief Engineer to stay with them and give them any help they required. There were a couple of welders and a couple of labourers. The job was going well but at about 15:00 they said that they had to go ashore to pick up their pay packets as it was Friday. So they downed tools and went ashore and came back a few hours later. I could tell they had stopped off at the pub on the way back. As the welding was going on one of the labourers said to me, ‘would you like a wee wine son’, I of course replied,’OK’. The guy was one of the old school who wore an old suit jacket and a waistcoat while working. He went into the waistcoat and produced a sherry glass and into his jacket pocket and produced a ½ bottle of Lanlik (a very cheap wine that was popular at the time). So I had a wine in the engine room. Needless to say the welding did not hold and was subsequently repaired in New York.

In Wilmington there was a Sears Roebuck shop in the local mall where we used to buy cigars I think they were about $10 a box and I would sell them in the Imperial bar, in Glasgow, for £20. Another thing that surprised me in the States was that you could buy jeans in odd waist sizes and loads of different legs sizes. If we took our seaman’s shore passes with us we did not need to pay any sales tax. We used to buy Kaki shirts and trousers and used these as uniforms on the ship. They were perma press so if you washed them and put them through the tumble dryer you never needed to iron them. Sears also sold good tools, their own make was Craftsman, and they came with a lifetime guarantee, the Chief Engineers used to buy tools from Sears and we would save any that broke and get them replaced the next time back in Wilmington.

img607.jpg
    oops that looks expensive, this was not the beer incident its the Wilmington crane failure

img842.jpg
    What the F--- happened!

img845.jpg
    Wreckage being removed

img612.jpg
    Baltimore sunset

Euroliner.jpg
    Euroliner

IMO 7033795 O.N. 341260
    EUROLINER (1971 – 1979)
    As built: 30,909g. 21,666n. 28,433d. 798’ 6” (BB) x 100’ 3” x 35’ 1¼ “
    Post 1980: 30,411g. 11,859n. 31,820d. 243.42(BB) x 30.56 x 10.70 draught in metres

As built: Two, gas turbines by Pratt & Whitney, reduction geared to screw shaft. 58,600 shp
    Post 1980: Two, 9-cyl. 4 SCSA (620 x 660mm) 9TM620 type by Stork-Werkspoor Diesel BV, Netherlands. 31,812bhp.

26.3.1970: Keel laid by Rheinstahl Nordseewerke GmbH, Emden (Yard No.419).
    24.10.1970: Launched.
    22.3.1971: Completed for Scarsdale Shipping Co Ltd (Denholm Ship Management Ltd, managers).
    25.3.1971: Registered at London. (O.N. 341260).
    1979: Sold to Navifonds Nr. 8 Seeschiffsanlegegesellschaft Engler Beteiligungs GmbH & Co KG, W.Germany.
    1980: Re-engined.
    1980: Renamed SEAPAC TRENTON
    1981: Renamed ORIENTAL GOVERNOR, under Panama flag.
    1986: Sold to South Wealth Shipping Ltd , Liberia and renamed YS ARGOSY.
    1988: Renamed OOCL BRITAIN.
    1988: Renamed OOCL DOMINANCE .
    1990: Renamed ATLANTIC SENATOR.
    1991: Renamed AL MUHARRAQ.
    1993: Sold to Bright River Shipping Ltd, Liberia and renamed BRIGHT RIVER.
    1995: Renamed RIGHT RIVER for voyage to breakers.
    18.3.1995: Arrived at Alang for demolition.
    17.4.1995: A G Scrap Corporation commenced work
    IMO 7105814 O.N. 341508
    EUROFREIGHTER (1971 – 1979)
    As built: 30,909g. 21,666 n. 27,984d. 798’ 6”(BB) x 100’ 3” x 35’13/8”
    Post 1980: 30,495g. 20,543n. 31,830d. 243.42(BB) x 30.56 x 10.18 draught in metres

As built: Two, gas turbines by Pratt & Whitney, reduction geared to screw shaft. 58,600 shp
    Post 1980: Two, 9-cyl. 4 SCSA (620 x 660mm) 9TM620 type by Stork-Werkspoor Diesel BV, Netherlands. 31,812bhp.

23.10.1970: Keel laid by Rheinstahl Nordseewerke GmbH, Emden (Yard No.420).
    17.4.1971: Launched.
    28.7.1971: Completed for Scarsdale Shipping Co Ltd (Denholm Ship Management Ltd, managers).
    30.7.1971: Registered at London (O.N. 341508).
    1979: Sold to Navifonds Nr. 8 Seeschiffsanlegegesellschaft Engler Beteiligungs GmbH & Co KG, W.Germany.
    1980: Re-engined
    1981: Renamed SEAPAC VALLEY FORGE.
    1981: Renamed ORIENTAL KNIGHT, under Panama flag.
    1984: Sold to Chinese Maritime Transport Ltd, Taiwan.
    1991: Sold to Collier Shipping Ltd , Hong Kong.
    1993: Sold to Splendor River Shipping Ltd, Ltd and renamed SPLENDOR RIVER.
    1995: Sold to Nerd Shipping Inc , Liberia and renamed NERD 1.
    26.9.1995: Arrived at Chittagong for demolition.
    4.10.1995: Bismillah Ship Breaking commenced.

IMO 7119733 O.N. 343043
    ASIALINER (1972 – 1979)
    As built: 30,909g. 21,666 n. 27,904d. 798’ 7” (BB) x 101’ 11” x 35’ 1¼”
    Post 1980: 30,495g. 20,543n. 31,830d. 243.42(BB) x 30.11 x 19.18 (11.521 dt) metres

1.2.1971: Keel laid by Rheinstahl Nordseewerke GmbH, Emden (Yard No.428).
    21.9.1971: Launched.
    12.2.1972: Completed for Scarsdale Shipping Co Ltd (Denholm Ship Management Ltd, managers).
    14.2.1972: Registered at London (O.N. 343043).
    1979: Sold to Navifonds Nr. 6 Seeschiffsanlegegesellschaft Engler Beteiligungs GmbH & Co KG, W.Germany.
    1980: Re-engined.
    1981: Renamed SEAPAC BUNKER HILL.
    1981: Renamed ORIENTAL MINISTER.
    1987: Sold to South Loyal Shipping Inc, Liberia and renamed DART EUROPA.
    1988: Renamed OOCL EUROPA.
    1990: Sold to Cie Maritime de Gestion Titana S.A.R.L. and renamed VILLE DE TITANA under Bahamas flag.
    1990: To Liberia flag.
    1991: Sold to Albany Marine Inc , Bahamas.
    1995: Reverted to Cie Maritime de Gestion Titana S.A.R.L. and renamed MONTREAL SENATOR under Bahamas flag.
    1996: Renamed MED COLOMBO.
    1997: Renamed CHICAGO EXPRESS.
    5.5.2001: Arrived at Alang for demolition.
    10.5.2001: Bansal Shipbreaking commenced work.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Euroliner/Eurofreighter /Asialiner 1974-76

Thank you, very interesting, keep them coming. Even in the 50's the US Khakis were great buys

Liked the bit about the tumble dryer, never sailed with one of those, ours was a bit of old log line stretched between two points with sail twine loops attached formed a hitch and fastened to the waist band and mother nature blew them dry and semi ironed them.............different days.........but all good in their own way.

Doubt many got potted plants, but probably came home with other presents!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I still have my Craftsman leather tool pouch and belt, bought in the early 70's, great for going up masts for light repairs. Still in good now.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 20th May 2021 at 09:38 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The one about the Scotch brings back memories of my time in the pubs.

There was a Whisky then by the name of Bells, most superior claimed so many of the patrons.

Little did they know that what they drank was the breweries own label Scotch which cost about two thirds the price of the Bells. Looked good in the Bells bottles.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Likes Doc Vernon, Tony Taylor, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    The one about the Scotch brings back memories of my time in the pubs.

There was a Whisky then by the name of Bells, most superior claimed so many of the patrons.

Little did they know that what they drank was the breweries own label Scotch which cost about two thirds the price of the Bells. Looked good in the Bells bottles.
    very common practice, probably why a lot of places do half price doubles n trebles

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was ch.mate on all four of them 1974-1977. Best memory is on the fastest of all of them - the Asiafreighter . beautiful summers morning , steaming down the Minch at 35 knots
    bound for Greenock. On the vhf , two local fishermen chatting with one another " here's one of them Seatrain boats , they come down this Minch like f##ckin' trains.
    Happy days.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Cassels View Post
    Was ch.mate on all four of them 1974-1977. Best memory is on the fastest of all of them - the Asiafreighter . beautiful summers morning , steaming down the Minch at 35 knots
    bound for Greenock. On the vhf , two local fishermen chatting with one another " here's one of them Seatrain boats , they come down this Minch like f##ckin' trains.
    Happy days.
    there is something great about a bit of speed....after a couple of old bangers i joined a shell tanker ...the sts hemiplecta ...ist steam turbine vessel ....reaching the giddy speed of 18 knots .....just looking at her wake was hypnotising.......R683532 cappy

9. Likes j.sabourn, Tony Taylor, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bet you even had your cap on backwards . JS
    R575129

11. Likes cappy, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Bet you even had your cap on backwards . JS
    had to hold me foreskin incase the wind got behind it ,,,and blew us of course john .....shiver me timbers........R683532

13. Likes j.sabourn, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#9 If you hadn’t had it cut off and left behind as a souvenir for the boy friend / Girlfriend in Osaka , would have found use for it today as a Covid Face mask. Bet that’s what they use it for now. ? Cheers JS.
    R575129

15. Likes Denis O'Shea, cappy liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast