Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New member - Naess Scotsman -

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New member - Naess Scotsman -

Hi Guys,
    Just newly logged on to your J&J Denholm Forum. I sailed on the Naess Scotsman from1964-1966 as R/O.
    I can only remember the Captain - Callum McPhee from Barra. He joined Denholms as a "chiipy", spent the war years in a Japanses POW Camp where he studied navigation and ended up Commodore Capitano of Denholms I believe. A really great Skipper and a happy ship. Does anyone know of him or the Naess Scotsman. I heard thru the Radio Officer's Association website that she was transferred to the RFA in late '69 and eventually sank off the Seychelles after hitting a reef around 1970/71.
    I was MN R/O for 9 years and sailed on 10 different ships in that time. I have listed them on my profile is anyone is interested. Am retired now and hitting the big 70 next month!!.(Still doing 10K twice a week!!).

Good to speak to you guys and enjoy the banter. Keep it coming.

Cheers,

JoeD, Motherwell.

Gulliver Guest

Default Welcome ...

Welcome Aboard Joe! Enjoy the trip like we do!

A Little info about NAESS SCOTSMAN... and pics.

RFA vessel ENNERDALE ex NAESS SCOTSMAN blt.1963 , 47,270 dwt. (She was Renamed ENNERDALE in 1968)
    Sank after striking an uncharted granite pinnacle off Mahe, Seychelles in position 4.29.36N/55.31.22E) on June 1st 1970. No casualties The wreck was later blown up
    by R.N.Divers.

A Diving Report off the Web(sorry can’t remember which site) follows:-

‘I have actually scuba dived on the resting place of the Ennerdale in about 35 metres of water off Mahe. She is basically in 2 sections and in surprisingly good condition considering she had been down there about 25 years when I was there. I dived on the stern section and it was an outstanding dive. The highlight being a very large octopus resident in the top of a stanchion post, plus assorted other good things including reef sharks. At that depth you can't stay down more than about 25-30 minutes as you have do a safety stop on the way back to ensure you don't get "the bends", this means you can only dive on one section at a time. I did not dive on the bow section but I am told it is also very good. These ships are surprisingly large when you are just finning around looking at the ship and the nautical life. Wreck dives were my personal favourites. ‘

Regards
    Gulliver

Last edited by Gulliver; 10th February 2011 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default welcome

Welcome aboard that man
    Enjoy the site as we do.
    Ron the batcave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default M. T. Naess Scotman -

Hi Ron,

Many thanks for the quick reply and thanks again for the info on the "Scotsman"'s demise. That was great, but sad, especially that 2nd photo. One of my old mates at the James Watt Memorial College in Greenock, (training college for Deck, Engine and Radio Officers, alas no more!), he took her out new on her maiden voyage in '63 from the German builders and I took over in '64 until '66. After 9 years at sea this was by far my best ships with a great crew. Capt. McPhee was a great skipper. These guys from the Islands were known as "North Sea Chinamen" as they were so natural mariners and so approachable at all times.

I may come back to you again for info on other ships I sailed on as you seem to have some good info web sites to call on.

Thanks again Ron. Take care.

Cheers,

JoeD.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Welcome

Hi Joe
    Would just like to give you a warm Welcome to this very good site!
    Here you will find lots of info,a good Crew and with luck also find a few old Shipmates!
    So sit back grab a Tinny,relax and just enjoy the trip!
    Hope we will have you here for a long time! Have a happy stay!

Cheers

Vernon (castleman)
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Joe,

I was a deck cadet on board Naess Scotsman in1965 - so I would have sailed with you. It seems like another lifetime now and my memories of the crew and our voyages are fading now. I think that the third mate was Thomas Moore, 2/0 was'Skinny' Davis. I have a feeling that a Mate called Meagran joined towards the end of my time there. The other deck cadet was, I think, called Dave Miiller.

Any of these ring a bell?

Anyway greetings and welcome to the site.

Barnaby Perkins

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That would be Rodney Megran and Dave Miller still going strong , working for HSE in Aberdeen.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default angus mc innes

hi joei dont know if you will remember me iwas the 4 th eng on the naes scotsman in 1966

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default naess scotsman 1965

Hi Joe ,Iam Angus Mc Innes and was the 4th eng in 1965 to 66 and the c/eng was G Tizard an ex- r/n the old man A botham

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default captain calum macphee

i sailed with captain macphee in 1959 on the link one on her first trip in the denholm fleet originaly named polly moon
    we joined her in copenhagen on a cold feb day, we were on a paper pulp charter from sweeden to rochester and greenhithe
    outwardbound we loaded ford cars in dagenham for sweeden through the kiel canal.
    captain was one of the best skippers i ever sailed with in nature and seamanship i know that as i was in the merchant navy for 45 years.
    he was from barra but lived in glasgow most of his life, he was later in denholms office 120 st.vincent st, in the late 60s
    i was in denholms for at least 12 years every time he saw an old shipmate in he made a point of speaking to them.
    a good officer and a gentelman.
    my name is donald murray ex AB, AND CPO.
    retired in 2005 last den ship was M.V. ATLANTIC DENHOLM
    SUPPLY VESSEL.
    Last edited by donald murray; 1st January 2013 at 05:05 PM. Reason: ABOUT CAPT.MACPHEE

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast