Thread: J &J Denholm m.v.NORSCOT.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default J &J Denholm m.v.NORSCOT.

Hullo all,
    My name is Archie Paice (R632359)
    I sailed on only one Denholm ship. I was 2nd Cook & Baker on the m.v.Norscot. I joined the ship at Thames Haven and sailed to Grotton Connecticut in the USA. When we had discharged our cargo we were directed to Curacao to load again. In those days as there was very limited fresh water in Curacao, it was normal to load if possible, fresh water en route, this water would be used in the cooling system at the refinery, on the Island ( at least this is what I was told ). So on our way South we went up the river river into Philladelphia, I remember that we lay at anchor just between two bridges, one of the bridges I do remember was named the Walt Whitman Bridge. Eventually after filling the tanks with water we headed again for Curacao. As we came out of the river into Delamare Bay, ( for some reason I have always thought it was Chesapeake Bay ) we were in collision with another ship the m.v. President Harrison. It was a fair old collision we were split open from half way down the forecastle deck on the Starboard side, right down to about half the length of the foredeck. There were all sorts of ships around at the time and I vividly remember a Caltex tanker crossing by our after deck, this is where I was standing because I had just come out of the Galley, the crew were all on their afterdeck sightseeing, I remember a couple shouting " Jump you Limey Bastards", great ? that's all you need, that type of thing. Eventually a pair of huge deep sea Tugs apeared, Moran Towing Company. They towed us back up the river to a small ship building company. The Sun Ship Building Company. Chester City, Philadelphia. We were not payed off but had to remain on board for the whole time it took to rebuild the ship, about two and a half months. The Company J&J Denholm were very generous, they saw fit to pay us $10 a month extra, this did'nt even pay for a trip to the pictures. I can't think for the life of me where we went after leaving Chester City and I can't remember where we were eventually paid off. I shall have to consult my Discharge Book when I am back in the UK next April.2011

Regards, Archie.
    Last edited by Archie Paice; 11th January 2011 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: pete hobson

Hello Peter,
    I was on the same long trip with you I was the mess man. Great trip. Best Terry