Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: SS Royston Grange

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default SS Royston Grange

I was in the Royston Grange in 66 i sailed with a fella on the St Essylt who flew out to join the Swan River all a long time ago now all the best .
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 29th October 2009 at 09:37 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile SS Royston Grange

I did my first trip deep-sea on the Royston Grange. march to may 1963. Afine ship, a sad loss a decade later as we all know. Cheers, Colin. K.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Barry Seamen抯 Mission RIP

In any other Town etc, old and historic buildings would have become listed as such and saved. Here is another building that is at least not knocked down, but has virtually been lost.

The Seamen’s Mission, Barry Dock was built at the turn of the century and opened its doors to the visiting seamen in 1905. It served more than 30,000 seamen and their families annually.

The facilities provided accommodation, meals and a reading room. Sunday services were held in the adjacent chapel named St. Peter’s.

http://www.loft-co.com/brochures/seamans_mission.pdf

Progress ?

With the demise of shipping at Barry Docks, the Mission and Chapel finally closed. The Chapel Bell and Communion Wine Table (that was commissioned by the ships docked in Barry at the time of the Titanic disaster, as a memorial to the seamen that had been lost), were removed to St. Mary’s Church, Holton Road, Barry, when the doors of the church finally closed.

SO MANY OF THE OLD BUILDINGS:

Were left to decay and when in a desperate state, knocked down. Again, not even the facade saved. Barry is a town of many temporary car parks and no Museum.

At least St. Mary’s has retained a little of the past - Every ship in port made representation and are represented by this artifact. Fortunately, there are many more - Not on open or public display, All Saints and St. Pauls witness and remember much, the Royston Grange tribute at St.Paul's Church in Barry has a local tribute in a similar stained glass window to the one at All Hallows, near Tower Hill in London.

Virtually every older home in Barry Dock has an artifact in an attic and one collection alone in the town is without a home.

K.
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 22nd April 2012 at 01:22 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hiya, i was on the royston grange, joya mcance ,hardwicke grange and faraday, all between 1970-1973,as a young deck hand, youre the first ive come across to sailing with someone on a few ships on this site,not that i know you but hi anyway, i had a huge corner cabin on the faraday it was her maiden voyage methinks, the other deck hand was j.o.s. brian mcmillon i think, cya.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

me

royston grange------galley boy,1960

swan river-------pantry boy,1959

xx

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed on the Duquessa and used this site to track an old friend.
    Was saddened to hear that he had died on the Royston Grange.
    I was unfamiliar with this event as I was probably sailing with Saguenay of Montreal, at that time.
    I bet you had some great times in BA
    3rd ref. eng

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Duquessa 56-57

Dear Tom,
    Sailed with Ron Platt on the Royston in the early 70's , unfortunately Ron was on the Royston when all hands were lost
    John Heaton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello all,
    just came regarding this vessel across this site this evening, was interested in the comments about the Royston Grange, i was the captains Tiger on there up until the last fatefull trip which i missed through illness,would be interested to hear from any members regarding this vessel and crew

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Rachel , I am Lewis Firth, a deck boy on the Royston Grange 1970-1971 then the Harwicke Grange in 1972 , so if your Dad was was on them then I probably would have bumped into him but as was so long ago I cant really say much else, except the officers beat the crew at darts on tournemant nights, happy days, good luck with your search, I am always looking for my old shipmates.

10. Likes Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Royston Grange Tribute:

A remarkable tribute to the Royston Grange: A relative of a former crew member has named his Canal Boat Royston Grange in tribute to his father, a crew member not on board on that fateful day but never forgot his shipmates and shared in the agony of the loss of the ship and many friends.

K.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

12. Likes Charlie Hannah, Frank Thorp liked this post
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast