Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Houlder Bros.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Houlder Bros.

Quote Originally Posted by corrientes View Post
    Yep, I remember the early reveille!!!! I did sail with Tommy Head but it was on the Langton Grange not Duquesa. I had Eric Lockheed on the Duquesa. Carole did give me a heads up on what happened to all the staff some years ago and also kindly sent me copies of some photographs she had of various groups. When I get hold of your email address, I'll be in touch.
    Hi Bill I hope this gets through How did you get my post yesterday I replied to someone who sailed on a couple of ships i was on You asked for my address its clivefronks@gmail.com Did you manage to contact Bob Palmer and Peter Anderton i see Mike Wilson is on these sites was he in R S N C with us i think he was S L C What did you think of Houlders Way of getting around the stike The other ship i think was the Oremina she was on a layby berth in Port Talbot we two apps and 3/o went over to get her alongside discharge berth when we sailed to Cherbourg for the Spanish crew We were on the mates watch with Capt Hedger as A.B he came up to relieve Hughie Moatt on wheel at 0500 we left him there he was probably o.k he had Mr Goffey the mate to talk to All for now Bill Clive

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK Clive, I have your email now thanks and will send something later. Bit busy outside at the moment trying to clear a few things up before the rain comes.
    It was me replying to your posts, there is no problem there. It is easier to discuss old sea school matters and some Houlders things outside the open forum. I'll email tonight. Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by corrientes View Post
    OK Clive, I have your email now thanks and will send something later. Bit busy outside at the moment trying to clear a few things up before the rain comes.
    It was me replying to your posts, there is no problem there. It is easier to discuss old sea school matters and some Houlders things outside the open forum. I'll email tonight. Bill
    Received your post Bill if id known you were in Bristol i could have come over My uncle lived in Bedminster he was Station Master at Bristol Temple Meads his son my cousin Roger was a Senior Consultant on health and safety on the oil rigs in the North Sea Bill did you sail with any of these apps who were with me Ted Pearmain Bob Watson Roy Southgate Hugh Moatt Pete Shirbon i know that Ted Pearmain was 3/o on the Shaftesbury Bill i left houlders in1964 and sailed on the Graigwerdd for 19 months then various others but left the sea in 1970 went to work at British Steel for 9 years but our department was to be made redundant so i resigned and went back as 1/o on the Stolt Llandaff Chemical Tanker All For now Bill noted you were up early sending posts at0726 Ta Ta

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Orelia

I remember the Houlder ships from my time on the Orecrest, there were usually a couple either docked or on the hook and waiting to go alongside in Port Talbot. I recall Orelia, Oregis and the Orepton particularly. Ah! the good old days and great nights out on the town.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

46 years friday 11 for royston grange disaster gone but not forgotten

6. Thanks N/A, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

8. Likes rob mcc liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Single-light window with an image of a ship and praying figures at either side of the dedication.

artist: Frederick W. Cole

Church of St Paul, Barry, Vale of Glamorgan
    south wall of the south aisle

An almost identical window at the Church of All Hallows-by-the-Tower in London is signed by F.W. Cole and dated 1973, providing the date and maker for this window.

Dedication: 'Remember Captain George Boothby and crew of the "Royston Grange" lost with all hands in the River Plate. 1972. R.I.P.'

For an account of the tragedy, see the Official Journal of the United Kingdom Maritime Pilots' Association, 9 January 2012. The ship caught fire when it hit an oil tanker in thick fog, which explains the fire at the top of the design.

Memorial Window - work from Stained Glass in Wales

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...y-set-14088550

10. Thanks Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post
    A small tribute.

Regards Keith.

St Paul’s at Barry Dock held its last service at 10.15am on New Year’s Eve – with people from all the Anglican Churches of Barry joining the local congregation for the celebration. Anyone know what will occur with the stained glass windows ?

Another job.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Dave,
    I sailed on Mabel Warwick as 6th Engineer from Nov 1962 till April 1963 after having served my time at Central Marine Engine Works. She was also an ore carrier built in 1960. She was broken up in Eleusis in 1983

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed on the Fort Ash to Buenos Aires and Montevideo in Jan 47 I suppose she was hired by Houlders

15. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast