Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Houlder Bros.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Houlder Bros.

Evan you have the right family there surname R as in my post #91.So maybe I got lucky or the brothers were away at sea,
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

2. Likes Evan Lewis liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Continuing.no.95. (Taking my Daily ,when possible ,Fix.)

We joined the Elstree Grange,in (Santa Portablo.) Ship way above ,the usual ,type, that entered the Port ,in those days. Mainly a full crowd,Locals, few exceptions,in the Engine Rm. or so.

Across to Hoboken ,Noo.Jersey! Phillie ,Baltimore , and down to the land Of "Cervezas ,Bif. Steak, Y Papas fritas, con dos Wavels. Gracias!"

The Food on board was really good . The ship a Sam Boat. Sunday Lunch ,Three of us in the Cabin, one single ,one Double Bunk. Corky George and I (Ex Vindi. Mate) in the lower Bunks. Attempting to sleep-off our Lunch repast.Just dropping off,to Sleep. Loud noises ,and shouting ,further down the Alleyway.

Big Oz ..He'd settled and Married ,in our Area. Having come ,to the Port Talbot Pool, via Loading the wheat aboard the Passat , (Sister Ship, to the Ill-fated Pamir) Four Masted Barque.. Which ,incidentally ,aboard the Athel Foam, we were Hove To , in the same Storm .in that Area . unaware then though.at the time.) : Back to big Oz."from off shore Barges in the Spencer Gulf. South Aus. Was in the Bunk ,above me.
    'The Passat. had taken a Bristol Channel Crew, a number of Port Talbot, A.B.s signed on ,for the Experience,
    disenchanted ,by arrival time Oz. "Hit the toe".Thereby ,the Big fellow ,joined Her.

Anyway ,Big Oz, slides down ,past my Bunk. Says "I'll go and settle that lot, now". Door opened, Out He goes . Seconds later ,Door re-opens , Enter Big Oz. Leans over to me .pointing at his Left eye.'Look at this!" Climbs ,back up to his Bunk. Within Secs. Was Sleeping ,Like a log. One punch (R.) ,gave Him ,the best sleep,he'd had for,a long time.

Another ,Sunday, same ship , homeward -bound, Tea-time. .We shared the same Messroom. Deck and Engine.together.
    Lovely Tea, Steak-eggs chips etc,We'd just about finished. A little late, in comes Herbie ,one,of the greasers.
    Don't know what inspired it. But R, .Who would have known him ,over some years. Same Pool, etc.Pushed his Plate aside, Walked deliberately to the Now fairly full ,Gash Bucket,placed it under the Tap,in the sink. Topped it up. Turned ,walked back , picked up Herbie's as yet,untouched plate,emptied it on Herb's head, And sealed it with the contents of the Bucket.
    Getting back to the original Posting.

Re. the Blairspey ,and ,the Capt's Threat, "I'll deal with you Lot ,when we get Back." Nothing had happened ,at discharge of five or so days ,at the Buoys ,off Gravesend.

Get to Swansea, for Pay-Off. Tie-up. walk Midships ,to "Put the Gangway out" There ,in the early morn. Out of the Mist, Slowly a Hurry-Up Wagon appears. Full of trepidation, Capitano's words are recalled. He means it ,we thought. As it happened ,they only wanted one person. R. Seems ,He'd Taken a Advance Note ,on some occasion and ,had failed to Sail. One more little Memory. little group of us ,Sent up to the Royal Docks to join the Swiftpool. R. went to a different job , further in. Shortly after arrival ,that early evening, off we went to the Roundhouse.All Girls Band there, singing ,"DOWNTOWN " and about Fifty or so Harpist Seamen , Joining in ,with all its connotations .
    Enters R. .Appears he'd transgressed on his Ship . "Not wanted on Voyage" as it were We clubbed together ,to enable him to get to Paddington and a train home. Sad ! As Like everyone else, had his good Points Too.
    p.s. Thanks for the opportunity , re. this posting '

4. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, Jim Brady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Mable Warwick was an Ore Carrier built by Wm Grays at Hartlepool in 1959. at the time the biggest ship built there. I served a marine enginneering apprenticeship with Grays and sailed on her in 1961 as engineer. She was powered by a Sulzer oil engine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was on her from the yard, trials and first few trips. Capt Owen.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi dave Capt Oddy was also Master of the Oreosa with Mr Goffey c/o in1959 when iwas a cadet In the seamans strike at that time Houlders got around the strke by recalling Capts and Mates on leave to sail as A,B s to enable a sister ship and ourselves to sail to Cherbourg and sign on a Spanish crew who left on return to U k strike over C/o Mr Goffey told myself and Hughie Moatt[cadet]to buzz off up the road until the sister ship sailed later so Capt Oddy couldnt find me We were on Aberavon Beach at midnight when she went out of the locks Clive Fronks R689941

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wonder which mastermind was behind that one!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Bill ive sent you about six posts But my computer skills are limited so im of the belief you didnt receive so try contacting me again

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Clive, I have not received any private messages or emails. Don't know what you are doing wrong. Click on my name and select "Send an email". I'll get that and be able to reply to you directly

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back again we were with John Perrott Do you remember i played the bugle for Reveille one hour early for which i got four hours the culprit was his nibs John Perrott he called me i thought it looked dark Bill you must have sailed with Capt Head on the Duquesa he was on the Swan River when i was cadet i applied to join United Steamship OF New Zealand when i got my 2nd Mates they told me i would have to live in either Auckland or Wellington or Tauranga or two places in Oz but i didnt take it up re Carole Rose did she tell that Mr Sleeman after R S N C went teaching Masters class in Cardiff iused to go back to see Mr Sleeman and Mr Ball i used to go for a pint with them Please reply again Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yep, I remember the early reveille!!!! I did sail with Tommy Head but it was on the Langton Grange not Duquesa. I had Eric Lockheed on the Duquesa. Carole did give me a heads up on what happened to all the staff some years ago and also kindly sent me copies of some photographs she had of various groups. When I get hold of your email address, I'll be in touch.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast