Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dodgy Dental Dealing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dodgy Dental Dealing.

I received notification recently that the dentist that treats me has decided to only treat patients privately. My family and myself have attended the practice for over 50 years as nhs patients. The usual reasons for his decision were trotted out, equipment costs, covid, staff wages etc. It is a group practice and other dentists are available nhs. However, better the dentist you know so i was offered several options.pay monthly ,pay as you go or remain nhs and take my chances with some unknown (to me)dentist.
    We opted for pay as you go although when i made an appointment for a check up i was asked to pay in advance. So, pay before you go! We were told that privately, the dentist would spend more time with patients- more time? Who would want to prolong the experince of being strapped to a chair suffering the trauma of root canal surgery and rinsing blood into a bowl?
    Seems the whole country is going this way.
    I attended a clinic recently after being referred by my optition for cataract surgery. I attended 2 days later to a private clinic used by the nhs. Fast tracking indeed. Prior to my visit i had 2 phone calls offering ime upgrades to the proposed procedures- at a price. I hadn't realised there were so many options. I refused, opting for the board of trade job. As it happened, after testing they decided my condition didn't warrant treatment just yet. The nhs have been using private stuff for years and it's obviously political. I have certainly used it along with my family on occasion and waiting in line for intensive care at my age is never an option.
    Gilly
    Last edited by John Gill; 9th January 2023 at 04:49 PM.
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Dodgy Dental Dealing.

On the Island here John, i don't think we have a NHS dentist, if we have he won't have vacancies, so i like you have been private for some years. I have to go in 10 days time for a standard filling, £175, he offered me a crown for one of my other teeth, no thanks, £800. life gets very expensive as you get older. kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the subject of cataract, 4 years ago i had to stop driving for a while , due to a cataract, was told the waiting list was 2-3 years, so asked about private, and was told £3000 and almost straight away. So that is what i opted for, unfortunately lock down came, and they had to stop private operations, the wing for private is in the hospital, and they needed the beds. The surgeons from the hospital are the same ones that do the private ops.So 6 months later they were open again and thats where i had it done. My wife at that time had had a knee replacement op, so she could not drive either, i was 79 years old at that time, and lost with out the car. all shopping had to be taken on the bus, i know millions of people have to do that normally, but when you have a car sat on the drive its annoying, but in suppose one day i will have to stop driving, i am now 82. This throws up another potential problem, my wife is 4 years younger than myself, and she is insured to drive my car on my insurance, so if i have to stop driving, she will have to take her own car insurance out, that will cost mega money, but we will face that when we have to. kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does not sound good ack over there.
    We complain here at times but service here looks a lot better and cheaper.
    My wife needed treatment, went to the local community health center to see the tooth man.
    Examined and told go away.
    Two weeks later a voucher for $865 from Medicare for her teeth treatment.
    Had her cataracts done on Medicare at only $ 75 for some extras.
    Think I might give NHS a miss nest time I am over there.

WE do have private dentists, most are, but for seniors Medicare here in Victoria is just great.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

good to finally hear you liking the ALP in Vic unlike the NLP mob here in NSW as we get bugger all for dentists unless you line up at the emergency ward of the hospital
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

6. Thanks John Gill, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was just at the dentist last week. Check up was fine but needed to see the hygienist for a clean to clear some tartar build up. Check up was about £24 hygienist was about £42, for the two of us that was about £122. I can remember when the dentist would do the descaling and polish as part of the check up, now it's a visit to the hygienist.
    Regards Michael

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Expensive teeth, i,ve only got three, and two of them are loose, lol
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just got 4 upper front teeth on a denture a week or so ago .......perfect fit ....nhs 298 quid ......had the last set for 22 years .....eating rivets man eating rivets lol cappy r683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most of our dentists are private, the first dentist I had for many years was aa one man operation, did everything himself and was good... He even did the billing himself, make out forms and prices, give it to me to sign and send it in to the insurance co. My benefit package I received on retirement from the police is paid for by the province, the ins pays 85%, I pay the difference. Of all the years I was with him I never was asked for the difference... After He died, I got a new one... very modern and up market outfit....Big reception area, two people, three hygienists and the dentist. Called in every six months for check up and cleaning, if anything shows up the dentist is called in to look things over...Most times never see her.. When it comes to pay they do everything, my wife is also covered under my benefit package and as she is still working, has her own benefit package, paid for, which I am also covered under... So when my bill is made up the remaining 15% is applied to her package, same applies to her on my benefit...Not a bad system, quite happy... regards Stan.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I Had to have a cataract Op three years ago, private hospital $1,700 didn't cost me a penny all on Medicare she did 7 patients in a day is that good money or what.
    Still have most of my teeth but no bottom back ones, had a set of drenchers made about thirty years ago but they have been in the drawer for ever.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast