Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Ear Syringe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ear Syringe

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    I don't know if this applies to all health authorities, but anyone in our HA, that has a problem with ear wax, this is no longer being done in HA, one of the places that now do this is Specsavers, syringe one ear £50, 2 ears £100, just info really
    Kieth, Thats the only advantage of being married to a dragon, She hisses that much steam down my listeners it dont get a chance to harden my wax
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

old Indian method of removing ear wax, place waxed hollow tube into ear, set on fire, heat draws wax up the tube.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It'as all a bit lyrical to me!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not so much Wax Problems with me , a small bit at times but quickly sorted with good Ear Drops , about once every Two Years or so. But other probs though with Tinnitus in Left Ear , now after some 41 Years got used to the constant Ringing! Never stops, only at Night though now at times worries me .

Also have that Pressure thing in both Ears , with me many times a day having to open them up by holding my nose and sniffing in get that Pop and it opens them up, rather annoying though.

This has of course all made me quite Deaf in the Left Ear especially, but also the Right one as well not too good!
    Think i mentioned before going for new Hearing Aids soon as mine are now over 5 Years old, get new set free each 5 Years here! So am hoping they may help me a bit in my hearing, its terrible at times, as i cannot hear much if there is any other noise around!

Seems this all comes from my time underground on the Gold Mines, Blasting daily, and then also in the Metal Industry later with lots of loud Banging all day long!

First started with perforation of my left Ear, had sore Ear one night after work, went to sleep and awoke with very bad pain , and Blood all over my Pillow! Ouch!! The start of the End !! Oh Dear!! The things some of have to live with, and its not the Wife! LOL
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All that ringing in the ears Ivan then you had no excuse for being late on watch. Many’s the night I’ve layen awake in bed listening to the bells cursing them for keeping me awake . Then when ringing bells at sea came out of favour
    at sea , made no difference still lay awake sometimes listening to the silence and listening for the engine noise , expecting it to stop at any moment in time. Even today if get 5 hours sleep am doing well . Probably why I fall asleep in the afternoon , exhausted with all this lying awake listening to nothing. Don’t agree with that old negro song from the Deep South “ I’ve got plenty of Nothing, and Nothing’s plenty for me “ , “ The bells the bells by the hunchback of Notre Dame “ is more appropriate for seafarers , long since vanished as a timekeeper on ships . Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#17 Sounds like the dinner gong.
    When you consider the bells were rung 9 times per watch ... Bridge and E.R.that is 54 x2 = 108 times per day. Plus during the hours of darkness from the forecastle head in answer to the bridge, plus the reporting of ships. One can assume bells were rung about 150 times daily .Life went on as normal as was peculiar to shipping . Claims were put in for Asbestosis up to a certain date. Never heard of one for titinus . Standing and ringing that forecastle head bell in fog every couple of minutes must have played havoc with the eardrums . Never heard any complaints though . Can you imagine the ridicule if you did . Men were men and women were school marms in those days .JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 12th October 2021 at 11:10 PM.
    R575129

7. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lewis, stop with this nostalgia thing, I heard the bell and it all came flooding back to me.
    Seven bells we had to wake the engineers for the 12 to 4 watch, not such a good idea with some.

As to ringing in the ears, I get that a lot but find when I answer the phone it stops.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There will be those on site who have no idea what is being talked of, so for their benefit....
    The day on a ship was divided up into sections called watches . Starting from midnight usually referred to as 2400 hrs until 0400 hrs was known as the Middle watch..From 0400 to 0800 was known as the morning watch , and from 0800 to 1200 was known as the forenoon watch. From 1200 to 1600 was the afternoon watch , from 1600 to 2000 was known as the dog watches ( 1600 to 1800 and 1800 to 2000 ) which if required someone else can explain. And from 2000 to 2400 was the evening watch .
    Bells were rung every half an hour during a watch 1 bell at the first half hour , 2 bells at the first hour , 3 bells at the first half hour and so forth until 8 bells at the end of a watch. In addition to this 1 bell was rang 15 minutes before the end of a watch , to inform the next watch they should by this time at least have their knickers on. Some ships used to ring 7 bells at 20 minutes past the last hour of the watch so the next watch on could get what they called a 7 beller or an early meal. It was usually on cargo ships the man on the wheel who rang the bell, kept him from going to sleep sometimes ?? I rather think with the more usual advent of the automatic steering and no wheelman ,was the start of this time keeping signal being phased out , maybe the OOW found the job too strenuous ???. Anyhow is rare to see it being done in 2002 when I retired . JS .
    R575129

10. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Lewis, stop with this nostalgia thing, I heard the bell and it all came flooding back to me.
    Seven bells we had to wake the engineers for the 12 to 4 watch, not such a good idea with some.

As to ringing in the ears, I get that a lot but find when I answer the phone it stops.
    Seven bells shake for the 12-4? you wouldn't need ear syringe if you did that anywhere else! quarter to or 10 to is early enough.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    old Indian method of removing ear wax, place waxed hollow tube into ear, set on fire, heat draws wax up the tube.
    Vic
    It might work with constipation also?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast