Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cures recent and now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cures recent and now.

Most on this site will remember the old cure for Shock,
    Keep the patient warm and wrapped up in a blanket. Give him a cigarette and if had spirits such as Whiskey or Brandy give him a tot. Must have been a pleasure a few years back to suffer shock. Today is just the opposite.
    Rescusitation of a lifeless or nearly lifeless person , stretch them out on the ground pull away at various limbs , breathe into his mouth and thump his chest. Today no breathing into the mouth without a safety device on the patients mouth to prevent passing of germs. For Gods sake your trying to save a persons life ,that person is as good as dead if he is unfortunate enough if he gets a rescuer who goes by the stupid rule book.
    When people hold people such as sports celebrity’s up for hero worship I scratch by head when our Police , Fire Brigades and Ambulance personnel are standing there in the shadows. They face such scenes on a daily basis.
    JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Cures recent and now.

your right john a high number of people{smokers} picked up in the war died after a cigarette due to the oil fumes they breathed in and another a soldier shot full of hole on a stretcher his mate giving him a smoke? jp

Keith at Tregenna Guest

There was a belief that when the first soldier lit his cigarette, the enemy would see the light; when the second soldier lit his cigarette from the same match, the enemy would take aim at the target; and when the third soldier lit his cigarette from the match, the enemy would fire, and that soldier would be shot. Though apparently, no references have been found to the superstition during the First World War, probably helped coin the phrase as in baseball, three strikes, and you're out though less fateful.

K.

4. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If he or her was a sprinter she was gone. “ on your marks ,get ready , and go. “ and your gone. There was a well known joke about the cigarette in the first world trench warfare but can’t remember it, but involved two trench snipers Tommy and Fritz, which involved the conversation shouted across no mans land , where Fritz was tempted to shout ya and popped his head over the parapet and was immediately shot by Tommy. JS
    R575129

6. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Not heard that one, there was one about Camel cigarettes and hearing 1,2,3. 1,2,3 and
    the punch line was it's the camel that counts.

A fave, not sniper related but always tickled me:

It's WW1 on the straits of Gallipoli, the soldiers are ready to charge from their trenches.

The British officers decides to make a rousing speech to his troops: "Listen here lads,
    did you come here to die?" and the Australian answers "Nah mate, I came 'ere yesterday!"

k.

8. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John.
    When I was in the building industry I did an advanced first aid course, ended up being the first aider when building Parklea prison. My son has recently gone into age care as a carer, I offered him my old first aid books, he said they were obsolete, no one did half those things anymore.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

10. Thanks N/A, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

I took my first aid course in Manchester years ago,
    the instructor was ex police and had a great sense
    humour, the way he taught, you could not forget.

Agree, much changed after, though still recall his
    teachings now.

K.

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Spent some time doin g first aid courses, I am the first aider for the Men's Shed.

Been on a number of up date courses and now understand that what they taught me 17 years ago is now almost obsolete.
    I was taught mouth to mouth on a dummy, now they use what could best be called a body like balloon, or reach for the defibrilator they can be found anywhere now.

As to Dr ABC long gone, do not move the patient unless in a precarious situation.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    John.
    When I was in the building industry I did an advanced first aid course, ended up being the first aider when building Parklea prison. My son has recently gone into age care as a carer, I offered him my old first aid books, he said they were obsolete, no one did half those things anymore.
    Des
    Did my first aid course Years ago when employed in the Durban Fire Dept. Besides Fire Fighting Duties we also had Ambulance Duties, so were always on the go@!
    Come Fireman, Driver, First Aider, Delivering Babies you name it we did it!
    One i wont forget is the Night a Drunk got locked inside the Durban Undergrounf Loo, as he could not get out he undressed completely, and tried to get out over the Steel Bars (Pointed they were) he got hooked on one of them impaled right through his Groin. I had to prise him up and over with all that Blood oozing down on me! Was terrible and all through this the Bloke never even uttered a groan! Think all that Booze had made him completely lame in his entire Body! What a night and what a sight!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a similar situation Doc, many years ago. The kids from this school used to hop over the fence at the back of the school, as it was a short cut. This fence was steel with spikes, and this young girl, maybe 12 years old, had hopped up with one foot between the spikes to get over, the foot had slipped, and she came down with the spike right through her upper leg, and could not move. We turned up, and decided that as two of our guys supported her, we cut a large chunk of the fence surrounding her leg, and she was removed to hospital with spike still in place, and operated on. She unfortunately was not quiet , and the screaming certainly got to us. She made a full recovery, but would have carried some scar for the rest of her life, kt
    R689823

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast