Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cures recent and now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Cures recent and now.

I had a similar situation Doc, many years ago. The kids from this school used to hop over the fence at the back of the school, as it was a short cut. This fence was steel with spikes, and this young girl, maybe 12 years old, had hopped up with one foot between the spikes to get over, the foot had slipped, and she came down with the spike right through her upper leg, and could not move. We turned up, and decided that as two of our guys supported her, we cut a large chunk of the fence surrounding her leg, and she was removed to hospital with spike still in place, and operated on. She unfortunately was not quiet , and the screaming certainly got to us. She made a full recovery, but would have carried some scar for the rest of her life, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My point in this modern day world of fibulators and mouth guards etc. etc. is that a lot of people don’t die in convenient places or in safe areas , and cannot even put them in the recovery position, so often stressed in theory, some of these areas do not have handy all these modern aids to medical assistance . E.G. in the double bottoms or other tanks in a ship, or down a sewer or up climbing a cliff face . People are sometimes very unhelpful in not choosing a better time and place to die. That’s why personally I would like to die in bed , to give every assistance to those , if any, trying to say their farewells. I have been in such situations being one of those persons trying to help and saying see you in the next world. And having none of these aids for survival , only your own common sense if you have any , if someone wants a tot or cigarette and on his way to see his maker , as far as I am concerned if he wants can have , if he or she desires . Cheers and if there is enough I’ll have one with him . Cheers again . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 21st September 2021 at 12:38 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a couple of patients waiting in their cubicles for examination when one person fainted and "fell" out of her cubicle. Imagine the shock to the other lady who was next to her.
    She shouted out and we came running. Fortunately the lady on the floor was still breathing so we rolled her into the unconscious patient position and rang for an ambulance....taking the shocked lady into the room for her test.
    By the time we came back this fallen lady was sitting up and feeling sheepish, seems she had a broken ribs and she fainted when she was changing into the gown.
    All ended well, though the other lady might've had a tale to tell; her friends.
    Last edited by Victoria Moss; 21st September 2021 at 06:47 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

According to the Ambos here in Melbourne more damage is done to patients by others who think they are helping them.
    People with no first aid training who think they haver seen kit don eon TV and know what to do.
    Some we were informed have died as a result of this, so the advice is if not trained just stay with them until help arrives, this is where the do not move bit comes in.

But yes Victoria I agree, as you know in summer our roads can get very hot.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Trouble is John this fear of interference ( getting sued) can also have dire consequences as people refrain from giving what could be vital aid when needed.
    Imagine someone trapped in a burning car, what do you do when there is likely hood that the car could explode?? Just leave them there? Tricky ethical questions difficult to translate.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#14..If you do not do the basic thing though by putting them in the recovery position there is every likelihood that they may die on their own spittle. I moved the patient in theory in a car accident and the doctor examining said immediately you have killed him. This was in a shipmasters medical course. Then again a nursing sister on child birth went through the whole rigmarole , then at the end said but if you take my advice you will tie her legs together and make for the nearest port. Everyman to his own job , those who do it for a living are the experts , to us it goes without saying a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. You can’t be gentle when applying tournaquettes and such if wanting to save life. The most dangerous thing I saw was trying to pre-empt disease by a certain national crew who used to take penicillin v tablets before going ashore.They in their tiny minds thought they were invulnerable to certain diseases . Just made it harder to cure later. That is if it ever showed. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 21st September 2021 at 07:30 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We had an incident on the LNG Carrier Ghasha , the Chief Engineer had a fall in the engine room. He stepped between a set of ladders and slipped. He landed on an angle iron bracket and crushed his nuts and scrotum. Poor guy was in agony and was passing blood. To cut to the chase the old man was Spanish and he would not alter course to seek medical aid. The C/Off was a Brit and and was keeping a good eye on the C/Eng who was not a young guy. Anyway after a day he was looking really ill and still the master refused to alter course to get treatment. Shall we say we did alter course in the end but he did not alter course voluntarily.
    The C/Eng was getting really ill now so the mate made the decision to try insert a catheter. Big problem was the urinary tract was blocked with congealed blood and this was stopping the C/Eng from passing water. We had to basically hold the C/Eng down while the mate forced the catheter up the urinary tract. As soon as it was fully installed the C/Eng started peeing into a bag which he filled with urine and blood. Another bag was fitted and it was becoming clearer and the C/Eng became more and more alert. We got him off the ship passing Vietnam. Thankfully they got him home okay and we got a message from him. The doctors in Vietnam said if the Catheter had not been fitted when it was we could have lost him as he would likely have had Kidney failure.
    A difficult decision was made and thank god the Mate made the right call.

We were late arrival in Japan by a Day? and had lost our berthing slot. Bean counters were calling for blood and the master offered up the mate as scape goat. On the way back to the gulf word got out the mate was being relieved and also was told his services would no longer be needed. Everyone onboard handed in there notice crew and all. The mate was told he would stay on and complete his trip pending investigations into what happened. Last I heard was he is still sailing for NGSCO as master.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was on the British Captain in Antwerp, waiting for orders after discharging, the mate decided to clean some of the tanks, two of the blokes started singing and the mate said get them out quick, me and my watch mate went down and tied ropes around them and they were hauled up with us supporting them, my mate got a lung full, the three of them ended up in hospital, they all recovered, thing is no amount of training could stop the hurried panic, if you could call it that, broken arms or legs would have been ignored.
    Des
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Victoria, that is the problem, do you risk helping them or is there danger that you may be hurt.

Then there are the Ambulance chasers, the legal parasites who will sue on your behalf if something goes wrong as a result of an unqualified person moving you.
    They will also sue qualified if they think there is a quid in it for them.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Likes Denis O'Shea, Victoria Moss liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John by some of your comments about life in Australia lately it must be a sad place to live. Get yourself back to your good ladies old family seat in Tipperary. It may rain a lot, so bring your big coat, the Guinness is great and the Craic is even better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast