Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Young and old.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Young and old.

Most of us have lived through the times of vaccinations and inoculations of what once were considered childhood diseases , even though we still caught with or without the big needle. For those who knew the staff at South Shields marine school before the big new establishment at Westhoe , when the pre-sea school was run from an ex youth hostel in the same area ,might remember the head of the school Capt. Bill Moore who also wrote various papers and books on seamanship I believe. I was very surprised to hear he had died think it was in the late 1950s. On making enquires I was very surprised to hear he had died with chicken pox . Apparently it can still be a big killer of elderly people, whereas youngsters just seem to take it in their stride. Disease is always going to be with us , Chicken pox, measles etc.I look on as the forerunners of present day newcomers. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Young and old.

Diphtheria and Scarlet fever were the big ones when I was in short pants, we had what we all called a fever hospital near us, very busy place back in 36 to 40, a lot of funerals went from there, empty desks at school. I got double pneumonia when i was four from playing down the river, spent four months in hospital driving the big matron crazy, in these days of TV adds showing how kids can drown in a backyard swimming pool I don't know how I survived. I know I was taught how to swim by my Dad towing me out into the sea and leaving me to get back to the beach as good as I could.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whenever one saw an ambulance it was “ Touch a collar, Touch a collar, Never follow Fever “ , was the young girls saying . Thinking back I must have played with the girls , they wont play with me anymore. JS.

I always said "Touch Hair Touch Hair
    Never go there "

Still do to this day Honest!
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 16th September 2021 at 07:51 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#4.. Most people think that sailors and fishermen can all swim. They would be surprised if they knew of the many who didn’t . I always imagined that fishermen especially would be able, living and working so close to the water would, but came across many who couldn’t .It never daunted a seaman whether he swam or not. The attitude that the sea was for fish and ducks prevailed . Water may have been necessary for drinking to support life, but stronger stuff was preferred . Cheers JS
    R575129

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #4.. . I always imagined that fishermen especially would be able, living and working so close to the water would, but came across many who couldn’t . Cheers JS
    John, in my time on trawlers very few fishermen could swim, the Arctic fishing grounds around Bear Island and North of Iceland were very cold even in summer, you were dressed in thigh boots, difficult to get on as you never wore them oversize as you need to feel the deck, heavy woollen knee socks (tights not invented then), heavy trousers and jerseys, gutting gloves, as little bare skin as possible to prevent frostbite and sticking to the steelwork and cushioning getting battered by the heavy steel bobbins. Even olympic swimmers would have difficulty coping with that lot, those that did survive after going over the wall was because air was trapped in their clothes or they had been swept back on board, alas most were just dragged down by their wet gear.

7. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That Greek fellah who had wings , Alcarus or something similar sounding ? . JS

Maybe it was him that wrote that wartime song “ coming in on one wing and a prayer “. Douglas Bader must have sung that often to himself having no legs . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 15th September 2021 at 11:53 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whenever wax is mentioned I always think of that joke which could be true if one wanted it to be so, of the things one could purchase. In a Japanese bathhouse i.e.The Wax Treatment. The details too gory to put on here as ladies present , but certainly cleared the ears out. Those two Irish lads if they only knew and waited till the sun was in Perihelion they wouldn’t of had so far too fly. Another theory picked up from one of John in Ozs posts on the overheating of the earth and hence climate change often discussed on here. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John.
    it was Douglas Bader's legs that came down on a wing and a prayer, when he was a prisoner.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#11. I always thought he was a Roman Emperor A long distant relation of Brutus. JS...
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th September 2021 at 07:15 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Learnt to Swim in the best possible way!
    One day at Sea Point Pool as i was walking along the Pool edge my late Brother Greg just came up behind me and pushed me in the Deep End too!
    And that was day one of my Lesson to swim! And that i did with a splutter and a lot of Splashing! But it did the trick, and after that no problems !
    Even went to the Diving Board a short time later and tried that as well, a few Flops though then got better!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast