Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Young and old.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Young and old.

Perihelion was that a blue funnel boat John?
    When I was at college Byrom st Liverpool doing my 2 engineers ticket and the Lecturer mentioned Calculus I thought he was talking about a Blue funnel A boat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John.
    it was Douglas Bader's legs that came down on a wing and a prayer, when he was a prisoner.
    Des
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#11. I always thought he was a Roman Emperor A long distant relation of Brutus. JS...
    Last edited by j.sabourn; Yesterday at 07:15 AM.
    R575129

4. Likes Lewis McColl, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What a laugh trying to teach my husband to swim in Perth.
    He had what I could only describe a s a "leaden" bottom, no real floatation at all!!
    Still I did manage to get him to be able to float in case he needed to, as for the "Australian Crawl" no way.
    The boys were taught to swim in the summer holidays in Kalamunda pool so they still have some style to their strokes.
    Being brought up near the sea in Sydney I used to go to the beach in Cronulla to swim, back then on my own.
    It was only when the "Wanda" murders took place ( the next beach along from where I used to go) that my father insisted I stay close to the patrolled beaches. That case is still open as no one was found for those girl's murders in broad daylight too.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon, Marian Gray thanked for this post
    Likes Lewis McColl, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Learnt to Swim in the best possible way!
    One day at Sea Point Pool as i was walking along the Pool edge my late Brother Greg just came up behind me and pushed me in the Deep End too!
    And that was day one of my Lesson to swim! And that i did with a splutter and a lot of Splashing! But it did the trick, and after that no problems !
    Even went to the Diving Board a short time later and tried that as well, a few Flops though then got better!
    Senior Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have never been a strong swimmer, and can remember being somewhere in the Med, and anchored off, and looking ashore was a lovely beach with the ladies in small swim suits etc, and three of us decided in the 1hr lunch break to swim over and have a beer. we all jumped in and started off, and at that point realised i had dropped a clanger, this was much further than it looked from the deck of the ship. The other two were much stronger swimmers, and went ahead, i was knackered, and at about half way , hung on to a small buoy for a rest, and then carried on and made the beach. Realised that by that time i could no way swim back, so all three of us managed to get a local with a small boat to run us back on board. The upshot was logged for missing most of the afternoon. The daft things we did, and got away with when young, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wink Re: Young and old.

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    That Greek fellah who had wings , Alcarus or something similar sounding ? . JS

Maybe it was him that wrote that wartime song coming in on one wing and a prayer . Douglas Bader must have sung that often to himself having no legs . JS
    ...and please,no quips about the honourable Group Captain being' legless'-we've all been there--some more than others.Drunken Sailor.gif

My pseudo Blue Flue fleet Blue Funnel (2).gif would include the steam ships Atrocious(awful),Prophylaxis (preventive drug) Epistaxis (nose bleed) and Phallus oo-er....)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Shaw View Post
    ...and please,no quips about the honourable Group Captain being' legless'-we've all been there--some more than others.Drunken Sailor.gif

My pseudo Blue Flue fleet Blue Funnel (2).gif would include the steam ships Atrocious(awful),Prophylaxis (preventive drug) Epistaxis (nose bleed) and Phallus oo-er....)
    Don't forget the Clytoneus um!!!

11. Likes Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Victoria.
    I believe they know who killed those girls on Wanda Beach, the same as the man that took the Beufort kids in Adelaide, I believe they traced a car he hired. and they think he killed a little girl in Tasmania, he was a sailor on a naval ship, he was caught in Sydney for another child murder, they traced his service and he was in every port at the exact time of the murders, but no proof.
    Des
    Last edited by Des Taff Jenkins; Today at 01:47 AM.
    Lest We Forget

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Victoria Moss liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Des,
    I think I heard about that person too. Trouble is no real proof and I suppose that sailor is dead now so we won't be getting any kind of confession any time soon.
    So difficult for the families involved.... Wanda was just all sand dunes back then but had the best waves to surf.
    However I did heed my father's warnings and stayed close to the proper Cronulla beaches as they were patrolled by lifesavers. Better anyway as I was short sighted and often lost my towel after coming out of the surf as those lifesavers kept moving the flags!
    In the end they laughed so much at my attempts to locate my gear they agreed I could leave my belongings at their station.

15. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2