Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The message

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The message

This explains why friends forward jokes. I've never thought of it this way before.

A man and his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the scenery when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead.

He remembered dying and that the dog walking beside him had been dead for years. He wondered where the road was leading them.

After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road.

It looked like fine marble.

At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight.

When he was standing before it, he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother-of-pearl and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold.

He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side.

When he was close enough, he called out, "Excuse me, where are we?"

"This is Heaven, sir," the man answered.

"Wow! Would you happen to have some water?" the man asked.

"Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up." The man gestured, and the gate began to open. "Can my friend," gesturing toward his dog, "come in, too?" the traveller asked.

"I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets."

The man thought a moment and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going with his dog.

After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he came to a dirt road leading through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed.

There was no fence.

As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book.

"Excuse me!" he called the man. "Do you have any water?"

"Yeah, sure, there's a pump over there, come on in."

"How about my friend here?" the traveller gestured to the dog

"There should be a bowl by the pump," said the man.

They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old-fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it.

The traveler filled the water bowl and took a long drink himself, and then he gave some to the dog.

When they were full, he and the dog walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree.

"What do you call this place?" the traveller asked.

"This is Heaven," he answered.

"Well, that's confusing," the traveller said.

"The man down the road said that was Heaven, too."

"Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates? Nope. That's Hell."

"Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name like that?"

"No, we're just happy that they screen out the folks who would leave their best friends behind."

So, sometimes, we wonder why friends keep forwarding stuff to us without writing a word.

Maybe this will explain it.

When you are very busy, but still want to keep in touch, guess what you do? You forward emails.

When you have nothing to say, but still want to keep contact, you forward jokes.

When you have something to say, but don't know what, and don't know how...you forward stuff.

A 'forward' lets you know that

You are still remembered,

You are still important,

You are still cared for.

So, next time if you get a 'forward', don't think that you've been sent just another forwarded joke, but that you've been thought of today and your friend on the other end of your computer wanted to send you a smile.

You are welcome at my water bowl anytime...

So here's to keeping in touch.

Even if it sometimes it means only forwarding on an email.

Image removed by sender.

Virus-free. AVG 2021 | FREE Antivirus, VPN & TuneUp for All Your Devices
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The message

I Sincerely hope that those members especially ladies who join the site don’t feel out of their depth as note quite a few don’t seem to follow through . May be they feel a bit overwhelmed at times , they or anyone else should never look on life in that manner.They all have their own life and experiences and are safe as they will be on here as anywhere else , so is no need to live in a shell with your own memories to brood on and be too lonely .It maybe a seaman’s site but there are less ogres than one thinks . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 12th July 2021 at 01:42 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Victoria.
    Tell your son there is always hope, I got prostate cancer at 62 I'm still here thanks to great Drs.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A stop gap for you Victoria, when I was serving my time one of the other apprentices was called by surname Nicholas he also had an older brother mate, and his father was Master in the company. His nickname of course was Nick.to get him angry I used to ask him lf he had any sisters , and then said if he had he should warn them not to climb trees , the same as any female with his surname .I had to be careful though as he was 6 inches taller than me , and I relied on his wardrobe for my smart apparel such as the rolled up trousers of a previous post. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hello victoria lets start by saying women are needed very much on the site it keeps manners going from us old ''''''' give my best to your son at this time i am sure he will come out the other side i know it is very worrying but the skill the cancer doctors have thees day is astounding they have kept me going and i will live forever even if only by posts on our great site the best thing for your son is just for you to stand by him and i am sure you will give him space and a tip dont ask him how is he all the time to a cancer victim it is like nails on a blackboard you and your son are welcome to private message me anytime i am a good listener always keep a smile when with him? your friend and shipmate jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Victoria, if you son ever wants info about life after Prostate C
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn#5
    good morning, i did remark some time ago, that your skill in in taking the proverbial, was learned whilst standing on the bridge thinking up new ways of tormenting your fellow crew members,seems i was right.
    tom

8. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#8 At that time Tom I wasn’t standing on any bridge , maybe the bridge of Sighs in Venice , but more likely down the hold bilges , doing jobs no one else wanted to do. If you weren’t capable of laughing at the job and taken it as it came , you shouldn’t have joined . Many didn’t last too long as looked for better or easier things . The sea in our era was there for anyone to promote themselves one of the few jobs one could. It saw me out throughout my working life, how many can say that.? Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn#9
    good evening, well it seems you started even earlier than i thought, then i should have known better as i have found you to be a man of immense humour, and that is not something that everyone owns.
    also because adversity and hard times can break the spirit of some men and they never get to laugh at adversity and others it leaves the twisted dry sense of humour which can only come from those experiences, and as with all good raconteurs you have to have lived it to tell the tale.
    tom

11. Likes N/A, j.sabourn, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#10. Thomas we all have different or sometimes similar experiences of the sea. I was brought up on trampships so my ideology is more to making ones own decisions as there is no one to run to , today with communications at ones finger tips maybe different for those who want to ask for advice it’s up to them, but wasn’t the way I was brought up. For the mate or master on ships I was on they made decisions themselves so a seaman’s welfare mostly depended on the ship itself. I worked for RS Dalgliesh of Watergate buildings , Newcastle on Tyne for about 4 years and found nothing wrong with them , in fact the whole family had a hard and sad life , despite their reputation , the grandson and his sister had the habit of visiting the ships themselves in port and asking everyone how they could improve their conditions . Previously one time the galley boy came to me and said he was going to ask for a spud peeler,I tried to talk him out of it as I as knew the consequences of such, he wouldn’t listen and went ahead and asked and got it , 6 weeks later he was out of a job. The crew also asked for washing machines a perfectly reasonable request 6 domestic machines arrived on board with the stipulation that ships laundry should.now be done on board , there was then a long legal battle between shipowner and union. As mate and master you had contact with ships personel all the time and was like walking a tightrope . A lot took the easy way out and chose one side or the other , and all were losers. It is very hard trying to be neutral on a ship but it has to be done . I learned in later years those same two grand children of RS himself had died and I was very sad. A shipowner is a businessman and if he is s not making money he ceases to exist. Something the unions in most cases never thought about. Cheers JS...
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 15th July 2021 at 05:20 AM.
    R575129

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast