Thread: Over 60

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Over 60

Good Advice For People Over 60!

By Arnaldo Liechtenstein , Physician

Whenever I teach clinical medicine to students in the fourth year of medicine, I ask the following question:

What are the causes of mental confusion in the elderly?

Some offer: "Tumors in the head". I answer: No!

Others suggest: "Early symptoms of Alzheimer's". I answer again: No!

With each rejection of their answers, their responses dry up.

And they are even more open-mouthed when I list the three most common causes:

- uncontrolled diabetes
    - urinary infection
    - dehydration

It may sound like a joke, but it isn't.

People over 60 generally stop feeling thirsty and consequently stop drinking fluids.

When no one is around to remind them to drink fluids, they quickly dehydrate.

Dehydration is severe and affects the entire body It may cause abrupt mental confusion,

a drop in blood pressure, increased heart palpitations, angina (chest pain), coma and even death.

*This habit of forgetting to drink fluids begins at age 60, when we have just over 50% of the water we should have in our bodies. People over 60 have a lower water reserve. This is part of the natural aging process.*

But there are more complications. Although they are dehydrated, they don't feel like drinking water, because their internal balance mechanisms don't work very well.

*Conclusion:*

People over 60 years old dehydrate easily, not only because they have a smaller water supply, but also because they do not feel the lack of water in the body.

Although people over 60 may look healthy, the performance of reactions and chemical functions can damage their entire body.

So here are two alerts:

1) *Get into the habit of drinking liquids*. Liquids include water, juices, teas, coconut water, milk, soups, and water-rich fruits, such as watermelon, melon, peaches and pineapple; Orange and tangerine also work.

*The important thing is that, every two hours, you must drink some liquid. Remember this!*

2) Alert for family members: constantly offer fluids to people over 60. At the same time, observe them.

If you realize that they are rejecting liquids and, from one day to the next, they are irritable, breathless or display a lack of attention, these are almost certainly recurrent symptoms of dehydration.

Inspired to drink more water now? Send this information on to others! DO IT NOW! Your friends and family need to know for themselves and help you to be healthier and happier.

It's good to share! *For people over 60*
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Over 60

Good excuse for me to drink more beer. Have got 24 years to make up for . Just told the wife and she says nononononono. That is my nickname for her as well. JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Obviously John your good lady wife looks to have a stutter.
    Maybe if she tried yesyesyesyes one hundred times it may remove the offending ailment.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like us all john as we get older she is going through a bad spell at the moment but slowly recuperating, she"ll never be 17 again the same as us all, has always been active both in mind and in the public volunteer area and when you are forced to slow down, it hits some harder than others I suppose. Just bought her a new car today and being delivered friday maybe she may say yes yes yes yes then. But being old fashioned maybe all these modern aids on it may be a bit of a stumbling block initionaly , I know they are to me. JS.
    R575129

6. Thanks cappy, Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Indeed JS so correct , like Her Indoors here still at 74 Working full time (well 4 days a Week) but getting up at 4.45 am each Morning to catch the 5.20am Train to Parramatta a 1hr and 50 min Treck Each Way. Come Sun ,Hail, Snow its of to work she will go! Getting back at 6,30PM , so a long day for her but will she give it away, no way Hosay!

If she stayed at Home it would drive her Mad, as she had tried it at one stage for just on a Year, Oh Boy! I had to go out every day LOL.
    But she loves it, i have given up asking her to think of retiring, she will do it in her own time.

Well lets hope that the New Car will put a big Smile on your dear Wife's face and she will then have something to keep her occupied! Mind you if you too have your own Car that means now that there are two for you to Wash each Week! LOL
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You get to the stage in your life when you do want you want not what society says you should.
    If Rene wants to work good luck to her, and why not what would she do all day at home?

As to a new car, well John once she gets used to all the bells and whistles I am sure you will be fine.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sold mine 3 months ago Vernon , we are now down to a 1 car family. I let her choose the colour and keep her own number plates so she doesnt lose it at the shopping centre. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 13th May 2021 at 06:01 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    I sold mine 3 months ago Vernon , we are now down to a 1 car family. I let her choose the colour and keep her own number plates so she doesnt lose it at the shopping centre. Cheers JS
    when you sold your motor 3 months ago what did you do with that old wooden leg of marys wot you used to keep in the boot ....the one you made flexy for her with the ball bearings from the shields tugs engine i believe it was the northsider......the one you kept from siezing up with axle oil .......i am writing quietly so gwen doesnt hear....cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now I only kept it there Cappy so you couldn’t switch it on the proper one she wears , it was the right leg and she required a left footer.when you switched legs it was real cruel have you ever tried to run with 2 left feet. Was saving it for Ivan but forgot it was in the car. They reckon he dances with 2 left feet and thought at the time he may of bought it. But there you go easy come easy go.maybe the new purchaser of my old car might find a use for it.Might sell the new owner Ivan’s address in case he wants to part with it. So will be up to him to barter as long as I get my 20% dealers fee. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well john if ivan got it ...he could do a jake the peg ...with a wooden leg ...would be difficult doing the hokey cokey though with marys dangling in the middle.....suppose the song would be ....IM IVAN THE PEG
    WITH MARYS LEG

ITS VERY FURRY COS MARYS HAIRY ETC

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast