Thread: Covid Vacs

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Covid Vacs

hi cappy #627
    i think being cantankerous is a part of getting older,
    but i think its time to let the grudge with the guy from perf slide, mind you ive just checked the converter and 3s 9p is now worth £3 93 so keep at it as every penny counts.
    tom

2. Likes cappy, Denis O'Shea, j.sabourn, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A true story when moaning about 3/9d in comparison with the fees required by the NHS for translators alone. Here in Australia any immigrants had to be conversant in the English language not so long back to gain admittance. My next door neighbours in previous establishment their brother and family wanted to emigrate but he failed the English test , I immediately thought he must have come from South Shields , so was surprised to hear he came from Birmingham. It appears to me today that our politicians have not followed through with this law , as half the people I talk to I dont understand a word they are saying. As regards Cappys 3/9d he really means 3.9 Annahs which most people know refers to part of the Rupee language. My advice to anyone who likes to collect small change is go for the Roubles. We will all be using them soon. The language test is an obvious lie,who ever heard of an Englishman born and bred being unable to converse unless of course he is dumb, but should have tried talking with his hands at least in the dumb language. Cheers JS..
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 28th April 2022 at 04:59 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can no longer bear to read any posts on Facebook.To a proofreader like me the standard of literacy amongst contributors,even on some of the so-called more intellectual sites with university educated respondents,is appalling,to put it mildly. It immediately arrests my eyes and offends my senses.It is as if I am reading a foreign language at times and akin to Alan Turing cracking a code with his Enigma machine. But perhaps that is what such social media reading is all about-you have to learn the language,and then crack the code. Not for me !

I have to truthfully say also that I think the standard of literacy on our site here is commendably very high and never upsets me enough to comment about.
    I don't want to sound pompous,or as one respondent on a FB group said to me ."U now,mate u sownd lyke a pump-ass tw*tt".
    See what I mean?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Everyone should know the word is Twott , and is abbreviated from the word twotters , originally twitters . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes the British vocabulary would be lost without it’s 5 vowels Marian. Can anyone off the top of their head convert CCPR to USSR . USSR is union of the Soviet soviets republics how about the other one ? Anyhow any of the vowels would be better in the word tw*t than an asterisk. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marian Gray View Post
    John and here was me thinking it was tw*t, which actually has two meanings the only one I was aware of growing up was - ''a stupid or obnoxious person'' till I was informed otherwise not so long ago.
    The second meaning could be a slang word for a part of the female body.
    Fouro.

8. Likes thomas michael, Keith Tindell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn #632
    good morning, obviously your referring to the singer in the tv show,( only fools and horses ) whom couldnt sing any song with a R in it,
    tom

10. Likes Keith Tindell, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Everyone should know the word is Twott , and is abbreviated from the word twotters , originally twitters . JS
    Or it could be a a polite word for twat.

Fouro.

12. Likes thomas michael, Keith Tindell, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marian Gray View Post
    #630, Graham I'm not on facebook, twitter etc, mainly because the level of aggression amongst subscribers which seems now to be par for the course. Even reading comments of something posted on Youtube re music, films, even Newspaper reported items mostly disintegrate rapidly when one or two vehemently disagree.... I do though very occasionally stoop to read the SNP's supporters rantings on twitter that's always good for a laugh! Laughing of course as we all know, is very good for your health
    Don't do twitter Marian, SNP supporters on Facebook, are not good for a laugh as they all appear to be as thick as two short planks.
    They are the only ones (SNP) who are correct everyone else is out of step.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi marian #633
    good morning, most slang or swear words have connotations with the old sailing ships and in cities or sea ports the vocabulary stretches the imagination with words that are known to have been used since the vikings, and in fact i believe the word without the astrix simply meant a ( cut )
    tom

Page 61 of 72 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 ... LastLast