Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: This may help others

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default This may help others

This is a post that i hope may help others who may have symtoms that i had in recent Weeks.
    About 6 Weeks ago i suddenly noticed that my Taste was changing, everything i ate and Drank tasted very strange to the point that i did not want to Eat or Drink at all.
    The onset was so fast that it sort of shocked me.
    Anyway i put up with this nasty taste thinking that it was just the age that was doing this and had to live with it!
    Then as i usually do, i started to search on the Internet, and came across a few comments from others who had the same thing.
    So from their comments and suggestions i tried various things, all to no avail.
    I then came across an Article about these weird changes in taste and thought oh well may as well try this and see, cannot do me any harm.
    Well after 2 Weeks of strict following of what i had read, Bingo!! My Taste is back to normal, and Boy am i pleased to be able to taste the real McCoy again.
    Getting to the point it was a Zinc Deficiency that i had.
    The method of cure was more Zinc but not too much, a daily portion of any good Cheese such as Cheddar, Gouda, Edam etc was the answer as well as a few Tinned Oysters but those only twice a Week.
    So as said all is again back to normal, and thought that there may be others who have the same issues!
    Cheers I hope it may help some.

Zinc intake should be at least 10mg to 12mg a Day which is the daily need. So as said if you eat Oysters be careful not to have too many as they are Potent in Zinc!!

According to the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey III, 35% to 45% of adults 60 years of age or older had zinc intakes below the estimated average requirement of 6.8 mg/day for elderly females and 9.4 mg/day for elderly males. Zinc deficiency may lead to loss of appetite, impaired immune function, weight loss, delayed healing of wounds, eye and skin lesions, and smell and taste disturbances. Older adults are especially affected by changes in taste sensations because of age-related gustatory dysfunction, use of multiple medications, increased frailty, and zinc deficiency. This article reviews the finding of clinical studies investigating the use of zinc supplementation for improvement with taste disturbances in older adults.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 11th February 2021 at 01:44 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Thanks j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: This may help others

And I thought it was the beer that was off. Seriously though Vernon do you know if zinc is contained in any alcohol product ? My wife who is an avidly alcohol blamer for the ruination of mankind, and myself a purely social drinker , may give me some excuse for having a tipple sometimes, by saying it is only for the zinc content that I am forcing myself to drink this. Sounds reasonable to me . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No there is no Zinc in Alcohol , Zinc however does Help in Alcoholics as i am to believe.
    Not saying this to you JS just a point of fact! Most or should i say all Alcoholics suffer from Zinc Deficiency
    Cheers

The above may have been the cause over long period of time ,as i was at one stage quite a Heavy Drinker.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 11th February 2021 at 01:53 AM.

R697530

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Her indoors in Epernay, France ordered a dozen oysters for us to share
    as a starter at dinner, she said they were meant to be an aphrodisiac,
    heard her telling her mate at breakfast, not all of them worked.

Animal products such as meat, fish, shellfish, fowl, eggs, and dairy contain zinc. The concentration of zinc in plants varies with the level in the soil. With adequate zinc in the soil, the food plants that contain the most zinc are wheat (germ and bran) and various seeds, including sesame, poppy, alfalfa, celery, and mustard. Zinc is also found in beans, nuts, almonds, whole grains, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and blackcurrant.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 11th February 2021 at 02:27 AM.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes John Gill, N/A, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes i know all that Keith as i have done extensive research on Zinc! I just posted the Cheese and Oysters as they are the easiest to consume and get , although there are many others like your list! But as said beware too much Zinc is also not good!

R697530

8. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Explains a guy I knew, used to remove the zinc fittings on roofs.
    Good price for it, told me it was good for his health, used the money for beer so guess he was right.

But beware, one of the symptoms of the dreaded Virus is the loss of taste or smell.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty, N/A, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now there is another cargo some of us carried Zinc Ingots , with a very low stowage factor. No combustion problems that I know of. Much easier to carry than Hay. The expression for those who were enquiring what does a cargo ship carry , should be everything from a pin to a haystack. JS

PS if knew then what know now and how good for the health they were , you would probably have found one in my room , and if walked in unannounced may have caught me licking it. May have even offered you a lick as well , the ingot that is . Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th February 2021 at 07:56 AM.
    R575129

Keith at Tregenna Guest

The ‘Trevessa’ was a steamer belonging to the Hain Steamship Co. of St.Ives. She was originally a German vessel named Inkenturm and built in 1909. During the 1914-18 War she was interned in the Dutch East Indies and eventually taken over by the British Government and sold to the Hain Line in 1920. Her gross tonnage was 5000 tons. The ships of the Hain Line were named after houses and farms in Cornwall. They would be known as bulk carriers today and went all over the world, picking up cargoes and carrying them from port to port across the great oceans. By the time she left Freemantle, Western Australia, on her final voyage on he 25th May 1923 she had already sailed from Liverpool to Canada, then to the USA and then, via the Panama Canal to New Zealand and Australia.

She had a cargo of zinc concentrates which should not have been a hazardous cargo had it been loaded properly. The Lloyds Register surveyor at the port supervised the loading and he was satisfied enough to certify that the ship was correctly loaded.

https://morrablibrary.org.uk/2019/01/s-s-trevessa/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    And I thought it was the beer that was off. Seriously though Vernon do you know if zinc is contained in any alcohol product ? My wife who is an avidly alcohol blamer for the ruination of mankind, and myself a purely social drinker , may give me some excuse for having a tipple sometimes, by saying it is only for the zinc content that I am forcing myself to drink this. Sounds reasonable to me . JS
    I'll zinc to that.🍺
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#9 Zinc concentrates I loaded in Esperanze SW Australia in about 1968/69 . At that time a previous ship similar loaded had been lost . Safety measures had been tightened up . I was mate on the ship and followed instructions . Long hollow tubes were inserted into the concentrates to enable thermometers to be lowered down the tubes to take periodical temperatures nearer the core of the bulk , and these were logged. There was a certain temperature which was considered dangerous and cannot remember what it was , as all different types of cargo was carried and was only of concern whilst on board. The ultimate problem with zinc concentrates was that the water content of such instead of going down to the bilges and being pumped overboard as normal, came otherwise to the surface of the concentrates and was unremovable unless by a salvage pump , this if went unnoticed caused stability problems and unless know something about ships stability , is not a 5 minute job to explain. Let’s just say a negative GM the best place to be is not there. As said once before cargo stowage is a big subject on its own and a lot comes from experience. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th February 2021 at 10:02 AM.
    R575129

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast