Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: This may help others

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: This may help others

John I have had sleep Apbnia for the past century or so and was given a mask to wear and a machine to pump air through it. The noise of the machine kept her majesty awake and I had to go to a spare bedroom. However I used to find the machine and the mask in the corner of the room , as must have had nightmares of drowning and ripped off and thrown it away. I gave it away and told the wife I missed her so much I was giving up wearing. How else can you keep your feet warm in winter.
    JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 12th February 2021 at 07:24 AM.
    R575129

2. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #15... Is that long back am trying to remember if we Peaked the cargo or flattened it. Would appear to me today that to peak it would be the more obvious choice , this was a bulk carrier and not an ore carrier , which are two distinctive different types of vessels , a bulk carrier having much more cubic capacity and could have left areas of tank top and access to the bilge for any overflow of water from the cargo. It was usual on ore carriers to try and peak heavy ores to try and raise the centre of gravity so the ship wasn’t too stiff. But as said an ore carrier is NOT the same as a bulk carrier and cubic wise is like comparing Andy Capps flat cap with a top hat. JS
    Don't remember leaving the bilges clear John, covered the strum boxes with burlap to prevent ingress of ore, never sailed on dedicated ore-carrier so cannot comment, but in bulker was flattened as much as possible, but not by machine or man, but only by the skill of the belt driver and foreman of the loading arm positioning and a deck mate always in attendance. The foreman and operator experienced enough to know loading their product on a ship safely was a vital part of the operation as countless mates will have told them over the years and always consulted each other. Others will probably have had different experiences.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn #20
    well i know the zinc is for your sacrificial anode and therefore will protect your hull,will the garlic keep the whales and the sharks away.
    tom

5. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

An ore carrier doesn’t have a conventional hold bilge system like a cargo vessel. They have usually one strum box in a hat box in the after end of the hold , it would be nigh on impossible to keep the tank top clear as the cubic of the hold is small. The bulk carrier I was on was a 6 hold ship and we only loaded 2 hold with concentrates . I put a post up about it a long time ago. The ship was built to go with two holds empty for stress purposes , the owners or managers in their wisdom decided to build car decks in two holds to carry 600 motor cars . They later turned round and said with these two holds full with 600 motor cars which weight wise was neglible and two hold full of zinc concentrates we could go to sea as is . I said you have already used up your bonus two holds empty , the stresses are too great. We loaded concentrates in 2 holds only so literally went to sea in a 6 hold ship with 2 holds full. I filled up all available ballast tanks where applicable to try an ease the stresses , but she literally moaned and groaned all the way to Durban . Where the other two holds were loaded with grain.I still maintain today if there had been any bad weather on that ocean passage we wouldn’t be here today . I packed the job in even after being offered a masters job probably as consolation when I told them their life story about the sheer incompetence and danger to life they had authorised. The concentrates on a large bulk carrier could have been loaded to keep part of the tank top clear and they were the usual long row of bilges the same as any cargo vessel of that period , the ship was 36000 tons deadweight so we are not talking about small weights on the wrong position . 0n top of all that the safety alert was out about the danger of the carriage of Zinc concentrates . And a log of the temperatures had to be kept. I was never more happy when the two empty holds were filled with grain in Durban , I came off there as had 13 months in , who knows what damage was done to the vessel stress wise. However I think it led a normal life before going to the knackers yard. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 12th February 2021 at 10:11 AM.
    R575129

7. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn #22
    i have made light of the fact that my wife has sleep apnea in the past, But to yourself and anybody else on this site whom suffers the same problem i apologise, it is my inane sense of humour, and i do know of the seriousness of this health problem and its consequences, and i often wake in the early hours of the morning to check if my wife is still breathing. so i do know,
    tom

9. Thanks j.sabourn, cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well john the kindling i buy comes in a large plastic bag ....one usually lasts all year ...bought one in october this year .......it was getting very low ......but we have had many very cold nights for yorkshire this winter in fact wed night was minus 16 c ...which is pretty cold .....in scotland they actually had a minus 30 c we have not had very deep snow but many snowfalls more often......i see oz has had in some parts a cooler summer....the global warm fanatics may be right ......but i have no doubt it is a normal cycle......ie global warming is all hot air .....iwonder what all these proffesors wil do for a job .....when it becomes clear .......and that little thunderborg puppet has to find something else to climb aboard...regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#23. Not suggesting you leave the bilges clear Ivan . The limber boards were always covered with burlap , even on an ore carrier the hat box was covered , however burlap does not contain waterproof qualities. With Zinc concentrates and the heavy weight and stowing in a much larger deck area it was probably possible to leave an area around the pile and leave the bilges exposed. When loading zinc ingots they required very little space but can’t remember what the stowage factor of concentrates was. On an ore carrier there was very little hold space and the only cargo apart from ore that I can remember carrying was scrap steel , and the ship could not even reach its marks for a full deadweight cargo.An ore carrier was a good ship for learners as were almost fool proof , but not quite .JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    well john the kindling i buy comes in a large plastic bag ....one usually lasts all year ...bought one in october this year .......it was getting very low ......but we have had many very cold nights for yorkshire this winter in fact wed night was minus 16 c ...which is pretty cold .....in scotland they actually had a minus 30 c we have not had very deep snow but many snowfalls more often......i see oz has had in some parts a cooler summer....the global warm fanatics may be right ......but i have no doubt it is a normal cycle......ie global warming is all hot air .....iwonder what all these proffesors wil do for a job .....when it becomes clear .......and that little thunderborg puppet has to find something else to climb aboard...regards cappy
    So cold Cappy I see that part of the Thames froze over this week. Coldest winter since 63, and that was a humdinger of one.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    So cold Cappy I see that part of the Thames froze over this week. Coldest winter since 63, and that was a humdinger of one.
    The Thames is almost fresh water, there was a good covering of snow on the beach at Blyth yesterday, almost up to the high tide mark.

15. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

####30 ah still doing your morning swim tony well done .....cappy

17. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast