Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Eyes

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Eyes

Keith, I was also given this option and also chose long. It was many years ago and there will be continual advancement. I do find it more comfortable to use reading glasses but for driving, glasses are not at all necessary. Yesterday was not much fun. my two yearly over 85 driving test by the licensing authorities. Whew! Passed.
    Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

2. Thanks Mike Hall, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, N/A, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That was good Richard! Excellent going mate!
    Just a question you say Two Yearly Tests ?? I was always under the impression that one only had to have one Test a Year when reaching 85 and over?
    Cheers

Added Only saw this now Richard,so one has to have a Practical test every two years after age 85 that is again at 87 89 etc.
    Thats if you want to keep your unrestricted Licence. Or you can opt for a lesser Licence no [Practical but Restricted to certain times and distances,with Yearly Medical as well.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 13th February 2020 at 12:35 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have my two year test coming up in October, told last time not big enough yet to do.
    So have long distance driving glasses, made up as sunnies, long distance one for TV with a tint but not enough for my liking and then the reading galsses.
    Plus two pairs of magnifiers, one in each vehicle and a pair down at the Men's Shed.
    Fitted for all eventualities.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re Added:
    That's right Vernon. Annual medical form is sent every 12 months from Roads & Maritime that has to be completed by your GP. Every 2 years you also have to make an appointment for a practical test which is about a 15 to 25 minute drive around town as directed. Just a drive around - no parking or the like but you are being tested for your driving skills, particularly strict observance of the road rules, signs, pedestrian crossings and the like. The restricted license is 5 km radius of your home but reluctantly they will increase this 10 or perhaps more if a very good reason can be given.

There is a Medical and driving tests folder available from Roads & Maritime in Katoomba Council Chambers.
    Cheers
    Richard
    Last edited by Richard Quartermaine; 13th February 2020 at 10:12 AM.
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

7. Thanks Doc Vernon, Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allman View Post
    I don't know how many of you will have seen the pictures of the Coronavirus quarantine accommodation at Arrowe Park Hospital on the Wirral. Two blocks of staff accommodation flats. On the right of some of the pictures published of them in the national press and TV, just seperated from them by a narrow single lane service road is a red / brown bricked building which is part of the main hospital. It is in fact the eye clinic where I went for my operations and examinations and to where I have to revisit in May for a post operative / checkup. I sincerely hope that things will have improved with regard to the Coronavirus before I have to go there. ' Ce la Vie '
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Chris, You be careful mate, It going to be rife on the Wirral by the time you take that walk along the Brown /Red brick wall, I myself have self quarantined, I am in lock down the only time the missis goes out these days is to get my medication a litre bottle of scotch see I am also self medicating. That way the only one I can fall out with is myself...………… Very iffy that appointment mate Terry. oooooooo
    {terry scouse}

9. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The first of them where aloud home today Chris, Nothing to worry about mate here are the first two let out, Strange thing was they where told not to change a thing until they got home as they where discharged
    Attached Images Attached Images
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You never know Terry they may have gone out of sight but I have to say it is certainly a spectacle I have no wish to see. It lens itself to speculation and certainly causes raised eyebrows.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mike.

I too was as nervous as a whore in church at the thought of operation on my eyes, probably even more nervous than anyone else. You see (no pun intended) I was born with my left eye having only peripheral vision. Imagine a blank disk on the center of an eyeball and only seeing around the edges. Well it never bothered me as I was born that way and had 20/20 in my right, and combined it made me safe to drive and lead a normal life (vision wise).

When I went for my physical for the M.N. the lazy doctor gave me a card to hold over my left eye to read the chart an I automatically did what I had always done...I cheated! And I passed the vision test. To me it was normal and I didn't think anything was really wrong with my eyes.

Comes my 80 year and I was a candidate for what you are going through, time for lens replacement and some stupid whanker of a doctor who referred me to the eye surgeon and gave me a "friendly heads
    up" by telling me I stood a "chance" of loosing the sight in my RIGHT eye (the good-un).

I had the surgery because I had no choice, but told the good-time-girl in the church pew to move over.

No sweat buddy, piece of cake, no pain, or problem. I'm back to seeing a seagull on the horizon fluffing his feathers.

Written in haste and not proof read for spelling etc..

Cheers Rodney

13. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rodney - I had no real choice either. I have Glaucoma and it was, have the op on both eyes or go blind - so it was a case of OK ' lets do it '. I did it and what a relief it was, a success in both eyes. Pain free operations, brilliant surgeon and support staff and wow no glasses anymore except for small print. Cannot believe how good to see again properly. OK I have to take eye drops daily for the rest of my life, because of the Glaucoma, but a small price to pay for having what I think is brilliant eyesight. Its daunting yes, but the outcome far outweighs the initial worry. The surgeons now have it all down to a fine art and I know that Mike will be well looked after and that he will have a great outcome. As I said before the worst part is the waiting and the worrying, the rest is a doddle, a nuisance but a doddle. You will be fine Mike, honestly you will.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

15. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

I also have had what was told to be a lazy eye since childhood and now
    apparently is full of cataract, my dilemma was if my eye op went wrong,
    I would be blind. though my good eye had cataract in the centre, I managed
    especially at night without the sunlight.

Thankfully, the op went well and have asked if I can have my other eye
    operated on in case of any further or future probs with my now near
    perfect eye. My lazy eye would give some sight touch wood if needed.

After not driving for thirteen months, I am grateful to the team that
    looked after me.

Keith.

17. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Likes Rodney Mills, Ken Norton liked this post
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast