Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Food

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Food

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    The British Meat industry avoids hormones and antibiotics this is why I think it's important that we do not import us beef which has a high hormone content and avoid Brazilian and Thai chicken which is higher antibiotics if you buy British particularly Red Tractor or RSPCA approved then you don't have any of this problem at all it's about buying British quality
    Well Rob the ink has just dried on a new agreement between Oz and UK to supply beef, lamb and many other goods as soon as BREXIT is in place.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Likes john walker liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Seems odd as the Times reported last year: Australia to call for UK to accept hormone-treated beef to secure a trade deal.

The Times reports that Australia could demand the UK lift the ban on hormone-treated beef in order to secure a trade deal. The Australian meat industry has briefed their government that if the UK upholds EU hormone regulations, “Australian producers will struggle to materially increase supply to the UK market.” The Times reports that International Trade Secretary Liam Fox is sympathetic to this call, arguing that it would reduce prices for consumers. However a spokesperson for the Department of International Trade has said, “This government has been very clear that the UK will maintain its own high animal welfare and environmental standards in future free trade agreements. To say anything else is untrue.”

?

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 21st January 2019 at 05:27 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pretty much the world outside Europe uses testosterone oestrogen and all kinds of quite Potent hormones in beef chicken and to a lesser extent lamb . This is why I avoid Brazilian and Thai chicken they contain very high levels of hormone to develop the chicken breasts this means that the chicken came to have underdeveloped legs and in its short life it isn't a happy chicken you'll find a lot of these are used in processed foods . I boringly read country of origin with all meat products which means that I avoid an awful lot of them I tend to buy British produced Red Tractor or anything else that is British produced to a high welfare standard . If you want cheap then enjoy the hormones personally I would rather have less but a much better hormone free quality and I would suggest that the British farmers have higher welfare levels than possibly anywhere else in the world so I am very very happy to support them . In the UK we grow chicken with minimal amount of salmonella in the States they grow up much more intensively and wash the chicken with chlorine to get rid of the salmonella personally I would rather have it salmonella free from the start . When my wife was ill with breast cancer now some 12-13 years ago a microbiologist friend gave me some information on how the breast growth or bone in chickens had tenuous links two cancers as it happens in my late wife's case it was a different cancer and there was no link but it did make me sit up and look
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    Pretty much the world outside Europe uses testosterone oestrogen and all kinds of quite Potent hormones in beef chicken and to a lesser extent lamb . This is why I avoid Brazilian and Thai chicken they contain very high levels of hormone to develop the chicken breasts this means that the chicken came to have underdeveloped legs and in its short life it isn't a happy chicken you'll find a lot of these are used in processed foods . I boringly read country of origin with all meat products which means that I avoid an awful lot of them I tend to buy British produced Red Tractor or anything else that is British produced to a high welfare standard . If you want cheap then enjoy the hormones personally I would rather have less but a much better hormone free quality and I would suggest that the British farmers have higher welfare levels than possibly anywhere else in the world so I am very very happy to support them . In the UK we grow chicken with minimal amount of salmonella in the States they grow up much more intensively and wash the chicken with chlorine to get rid of the salmonella personally I would rather have it salmonella free from the start . When my wife was ill with breast cancer now some 12-13 years ago a microbiologist friend gave me some information on how the breast growth or bone in chickens had tenuous links two cancers as it happens in my late wife's case it was a different cancer and there was no link but it did make me sit up and look
    I totally agree with what you say Rob; There is a food program on TV where they go to source of various foods, the one comparing grass fed beef to corn fed beef was covered.
    On the corn fed beef lots, they give antibiotics to the cattle to make it easier to transition from grass to corn diet. Also, when questioned about growth hormones, the so called expert replied that it was ok because they use an implant in the ear of the beast to give a slow release dose, but we cut off the ears before processing, so thats all right then !
    No mention about the hormones already in there.
    Also most European producers of pork and chicken routinely dose with antibiotics to "prevent" disease, so as Rob says, stick to Red Tractor and you cant go far wrong.

6. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here in Oz all the cattle that go for export are reared in a natural manner.
    That is they are grass fed and kept out in the open.
    Some of the beef exported from Oz is of the highest quality available, we do also export live to Indonesia but they are of a different breed.

Our best are Black Angus for top quality beef, all grass fed.

Similar with our sheep, all top quality Lamb that goes for export.
    Problem is it leaves us at home with often second quality meat.
    One should not always take for granted what is in the papers, fake news is all the go just now.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Here in Oz all the cattle that go for export are reared in a natural manner.
    That is they are grass fed and kept out in the open.
    Some of the beef exported from Oz is of the highest quality available, we do also export live to Indonesia but they are of a different breed.

Our best are Black Angus for top quality beef, all grass fed.

Similar with our sheep, all top quality Lamb that goes for export.
    Problem is it leaves us at home with often second quality meat.
    One should not always take for granted what is in the papers, fake news is all the go just now.
    John,
    the price of Aus beef here is very competitive! Probably cheaper than in AUS!
    I have not been to Aus since 2012 and beef and beer prices were much higher than here (I always found that beer price was a good indicator of the cost of living)

10. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    John,
    the price of Aus beef here is very competitive! Probably cheaper than in AUS!
    I have not been to Aus since 2012 and beef and beer prices were much higher than here (I always found that beer price was a good indicator of the cost of living)
    Just, checked price of Aus beef rump, £7.99/kg. but you have to buy a big lump (they will butcher up to your requirements though).

12. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The nearest you can get to a perfect diet is Baked Beans on toasted Wholemeal bread. Its got every nutrition the body functions on. I always enjoyed a square meal at sea...……………………… An oxo Terry.
    {terry scouse}

14. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    The nearest you can get to a perfect diet is Baked Beans on toasted Wholemeal bread. Its got every nutrition the body functions on. I always enjoyed a square meal at sea...……………………… An oxo Terry.
    Thought that was Weetabix

16. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just, checked price of Aus beef rump, £7.99/kg. but you have to buy a big lump (they will butcher up to your requirements though).
    That would equate to about $30 a kilo.

The price depend ere on where you shop, but bulk is always available.
    I often buy that way and cut to my liking and freeze until wanted.

But yes, all prices are a reflection of wages.
    Draught beer now about $5 a pot which is about half pint.

- - - Updated - - -

Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

18. Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast