Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Food

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Food

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    What are the things that figure large in things like Doner kebabs is mechanically recovered meat which is Jet washed off the bones and crushed bone turned to paste all the stuff that nobody would ever buy along with meat from the head snouts ears etc that are processed I avoid things like that therefore don't buy frankfurters either
    ###never had a donor kebab ,...the look of them is enough.....and the smell even worse

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The whole of the fresh food industry got badly hit a few years ago by a thing called the waste directive which meant that any factory waste was very heavily penalized on it disposal with air it went down your drains or went to the tip in a skip . At that point the whole industry started to dry whey powder and sell it cheaply to the processes as additives and in one case an Irish company fermented it and created Irish cream liqueur and the meeting industry rather than pay vast amounts for disposal start of the mechanically recover everything that was on the salable and by using pressure rollers produced what was basically a pink paste that compressed all but the heaviest bones this went in do the cheap end of the food manufacturing market and contained the unsaleable stuff so just pigs heads and everything else you couldn't get a market for weren't sent to the tip it made very good use of low value protein and if I buy a ready meal which I do occasionally I check that it doesn't contain mechanically recovered meat whey powder or skimmed milk powder all of which are used as fillers and give the process a bigger profits
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

##perhaps not in the same vein rob but i know that in every vessel i sailed in we never had illness caused by badly cooked food or bad hygiene......and yet some stores taken aboard were not by any means fresh ie in india etc .....water was often the cause of short time illness on the indian coast ......in one hains boat i was in coal burning galley up the gulf food could have been easily infected with the black flies in abundance ....no fridge in the galley and heat of the coal burner like hades in there .....i see this morning another liner returning with 500 or so folk all ill with novo virus ......they are now building them for 6000 passengers ..only people i saw bad were those who acted the goat and so had there odd meal doctored.......sadly it was needed from time to time ....cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Listening to an avid Cruiser and how they help yourself deck buffet is laid out I don't think I fancy anything off the deck buffet I have heard stories of punters licking spoons putting stuff back etc I'm pretty sure that the first class deck buffet with Uni and Castle the food was put on the plate for you and anything left over after about an hour went for a swim . I'm not sure that in this day and age that the Chill chain with food is strictly observed on these type of ships although personally I have absolutely zero experience of them it is something that would be my worst nightmare of holiday
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

5. Likes cappy, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The hotel we stayed at had a buffet breakfast. We stopped eating it after seeing numerous unsupervised children picking up and then replacing food along with coughing and sneezing in the food area without shielding their mouths.

At an Asian buffet this week there where big signs telling people not to use their hands to pick up food from the trays.

SDG

7. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is a buffet service on all cruise ships and widely used by all passengers at some point.
    I have never seen any abuse of it, though that does not say it does not happen.
    But the area is closely monitored by galley crew.

But in most instances the cases of illness such as Noro virus, the most common is brought on board by those who go ashore in suspect ports and eat and drink there.
    In civilized places such as EU ports I consider it safe to at and drink, but in most South Pacific ones no unless it is bottled or wrapped.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Keith at Tregenna Guest

AVOID THE BUFFET. Why? The buffet is a huge contender for spreading norovirus. Before the outbreak is noted by the ship, utensil handles aren’t yet reversed. I’ve seen people cough into their hands and then grab the serving spoon. I leave the buffet line without hesitation. Sometimes hot food gets warm (especially if it’s towards closing time). Breeding ground for the virus and bacteria.

https://cruisemaven.com/avoid-norovi...ive-easy-tips/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The main buffet on nay ship now is inboard and strictly controlled.

There are at times though some put outside on deck for special occasions, they are the ones where the major problems come from.
    Out in the heat, limited refrigeration and not such close control.

But the main inboard one is fine.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Norovirus outbreak on Royal Caribbean cruise ship sickens 475 passengers.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/270-cruise...ry?id=60291868

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The buffets on Holland America are all behind glass and is served by the Staff when you point to the ones you want, so no one touches or coughs on it.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast