Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Personal independence payment and Disability Living Allowance

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: Personal independence payment and Disability Living Allowance

PIP has cost up to £2 billion more than keeping DLA

https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/n...wmEqCL8v88_0DY

It's ruined lives and cost more. Bravo PIP.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 17th January 2019 at 08:59 AM.

2. Thanks Tony Taylor thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Old disability living allowance DLA scheme and a personal independence payment PIP scheme are based on two entirely different systems . To simplify it the DLA was based on your diagnosis whilst the P I P is based on your individual disability so technically the P I P should be a fairer based scheme . One of the biggest problems from the side of the individuals is there is a very comprehensive booklet on how to fill the form in which I think it's 45 pages long before you fill the form in you need to have read and studied that booklet if you don't you will make some serious mistakes and end up losing the payment II huge problem is the fact that the assessment has been put out to two companies capita and ATOS who have recruited assessors with clinical knowledge and when they assess you they don't necessarily have the clinical knowledge of your complaint so it's a model through guesswork not through fact . I got my p i p award without attending the interview but having thoroughly read the form and taking advice on how to fill it in accompanying it with references from Stoke Mandeville neurosurgery at the National spinal injuries Centre it went through without a problem most of the people that I met that have had problems who tried to tackle a very complicated 45 page form on their own and what are the things they haven't realised it's through those pages the same question will be asked three or 4 times in a very slightly different way
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rob, at times one wonders, and I have seen such forms if the gov or whoever is responsible does it in such a manner as to try and put some off from making a claim.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks robpage thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

problem is most people think they don't need help to fill out the form , most do ,

The DLA form was quite simple if you had problems walking for instance if you had a stroke you were granted a mobility component regardless of how the illness had affected you when it came to p i p is your personal problem that is looked at so if you read the guidance notes with it which most people can't be bothered to do it tells you if you can walk more than 10 m then you will not have a mobility component so it says how far can you walk people write down 30 m and then don't understand when they get it refused because they've written down 30 m for all the years that they've claimed disability living allowance and then it everybody else's fault including the government that they have lost their allowance. . The system is set up full of tricks and traps I believe it was John pruden that told me he had gone for an interview 4 P I P and it was on the second floor of a building with no lift what do you do crawl up the floor and they know you can now get Up 2 flights of stairs no matter how difficult or do you say sorry you make me a home appointment . Well when you crawled up the two flights of stairs and proven to the assessor that you're capable of getting up there that isn't the time to start bleeding that you have lost the payment
    Last edited by robpage; 18th January 2019 at 06:44 AM.
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

7. Thanks Tony Taylor thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

rob always get them to come to you one doctor came out and I was in his clinic his words were what and why am I here?? most of us our entitled to much more benefits get the right people to fill any forms in never fill your own in some questions contradict each other? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In 1979 I had my left leg crushed and bones splintered sticking out and flesh torn off ,
    In Hospital in Saudi , they wanted to amputate the leg. No Problem,.
    No way , I said , I flew home and they fixed it in hospital here, I applied for sickness benefit, So invited for interview at 3pm
    On crutches I staggered into the building at ten minutes to 3, reception says Up on the THIRD FLOOR, , No Lift?? No.
    I had to sit on a step, and one step at a time lifted myself up. I got to the top at 20 past 3,
    The two "doctors"? screamed abuse at me, Your Appointment was 3pm not 3.20, we are very busy you know.
    They would not listen that I had taken 30 minutes to get up three long flights of stairs.
    I had special dressings on my leg to hold the bones together with 48 stitches in. they removed the dressings to look at it, They had no idea how to put them back. Then they said No Sickness Benefit, you can sit behind a desk and work,
    They would not listen to me saying I was a Seafaring man with no idea how to work behind a desk and who would employ me anyway. That is your problem, they told me. Tough. I was out of work for Nine Months with not a penny off them.
    I then had to get a taxi to take me to Hospital to have the leg redone. after sliding down three floors to get out of the building.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 18th January 2019 at 09:47 AM.

10. Thanks robpage, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brian in 1986 was made redundant with 8 years service with a company. Received nothing from the so called non contributory pension fund , but as per contract received 3 months wages in lieu of notice. A lot more the same happened to throughout the industry and they were offering redundancy payments from the BSF mine as 1100 pounds plus for 33 years service which at that time I refused. We were advised by numast to approach our local labour exchanges for dole money. I did and got an agreeing dole manager who paid me about a weeks dole. This was a debatable point at the time as the government rules stipulated one wasn’t entitled to such if had 12 weeks paid leave in lieu of notice of job loss. However seafarers were paid by the calendar month which was slightly more than 12 weeks so on a technical error some got and others didn’t . I was only unemployed for a week as went back on foreign flagged ships for a year. On coming back to the UK the head office of Department of health and social benefits wrote me demanding a weeks money back. Out of principle I refused and took legal advice , the dole manager said it was his decision and had nothing to do with me. On my refusal to give them back this couple of quid they said they would deduct from my old age pension when it came round. Whether they did or not I don’t even know or care , the miserable pension such as it is , would not even be acceptable to an illegal immigrant today. I have little or no faith in some of the UKs benefit schemes . If you get over this side on your travels give us a ring and will pick you up. Bon Voyage. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 18th January 2019 at 11:11 AM.

12. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John unfortunately we do not go to Western Australia, this time, just to Sydney,Townesville , Cairns and Darwin,
    Maybe another trip.

Cheers
    Brian

14. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting thread, As has been mentioned when you receive these forms to fill in C.A.B. Are always happy to assist and support genuine claims. The problem is in my area we had three C.A.B. Officers these days although most of the staff are voluntary and offer there services free two have been closed down government funding pulled from under there feet. But most housing association's have there own welfare officers who are also very clued up on Benefits and dealing with the D.W.P. As for P.T.S.D. I wonder if it was recognised back in 1971 when the crew of the Eucadia which I done a 12 month trip aboard and witnessed the missile attack and grounding of the M.V.Harmattan British seaman lost there lives aboard that ship we where in a war zone Indian/Pakistan war and alongside the day the Indian Navy obliterated the port of Karachi we where told to slip our moorings on the day the attack took place and steam south into the Indian Ocean, All our crew where traumatised witnessing this. After 30 odd days leave I reported back to the pool in Liverpool and made a few inquiries regarding the Harmattan and her crew ETC.... Know one had a clue what I was talking about including the seaman's union. There isn't a day passed after all these years especially boxing day the day she was towed passed us and grounded in Karachi I haven't paused for a few moments and thought of this incident. Have I suffered some form of P.T.S.D. All these years ? I continued with my sea career until putting the wheel amidships in 1980. And I doubt the D.W.P. Backdate 48 years...………………….. Terry.
    {terry scouse}

16. Likes j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

50 Million a year to save money, they are not going to make it easy.

K.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast