Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cataract Surgery

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Cataract Surgery

I am also waiting for the cataract operation, my right is virtually useless from a detached retina some years ago, and seeing that i have only one good eye, which at the moment is ok for driving , just, so i have an eye test every six months. Apparently a cataract has to each a certain degree of *ripeness* before the op can be done, so i wait, but try not to drive at night time, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just thought of a story that was around when I lived at home.They reckoned a blackman used to stand outside the Gladstone Dock gate many years ago and he would charge 2s6d (half a crown) to lick the cataract from the eye.I've just remembered after having the cataract done you didn't walk out of the clinic and that was the end of it,drops had tobe taken and some kind of an eye patch worn each night.I wasn't bothered about blared vision as my wife was driving,but I've just remembered my brother had his done in the same clinic he went on his own on the bus,the clinic forbid him to travel on public transport on his way home for lack of vision,he had to get a cab costing him over £25.00.

Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

my late father had both done six months apart and had an annual check up at Derby Royal Infirmary eye patch removed 24 hours later , he was due for a check up March 2000 , rang to cancel his Friday 3.30 appointment and was told by the reception they were a very busy clinic , before had chance to explain why I was giving less than 24 hours notice , she hoped he had a good excuse , after I explained his appointment at the Crematorium was 11.00 she lost the angry mood and was ever so apologetc
    e
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

4. Thanks Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have had both eyes done, one in a private clinic, as the NHS Lothian had gone over the prescribed 18 weeks, had the other eye done by NHS Lothian, no problems, now see in high definition and full colour

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had my right eye done 2 years ago at the freeman hospital Newcastle, after looking through a mist for 18 months, now all is clear.
    The actual opp. takes about 20 min. no pain at all, the only problem is that you must try to keep the eye ball still. The freeman has 3 operating
    theaters going at the same time its like being on a conveyor belt.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had my second one in August and not too impressed with the final result constant irritation especially when using the drops, but believe this was caused by the nurse who gave me the injection prior to the op, also the procedure did not seem to be as good as my first op in 2001, sight wise the vision is fine.

8. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    I am also waiting for the cataract operation, my right is virtually useless from a detached retina some years ago, and seeing that i have only one good eye, which at the moment is ok for driving , just, so i have an eye test every six months. Apparently a cataract has to each a certain degree of *ripeness* before the op can be done, so i wait, but try not to drive at night time, kt
    Seems a few of us have similar probs Keith
    I had a detached Retina as well in 1983 at Work,just saw a sort of Curtain closing on me at the time,my Boss rushed mr to Westmead Hospital where they Operated immediately,no going home or naught there and then,
    Used Laser Surgery to fix it,but I was quite sore after that as they took the Eye out of the Socket, I looked like I had gone some Rounds with Mike Tyson LOL
    I since then have had not too bad Vision until these Cataracts started.
    I also now see all things smaller with that Eye,it was weird getting used to that!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To those that have eye problems, I hope the problems are resolved for the good.
    My problem is scar tissue at the rear of both eyes, hopefully will get the all clear when I get a check up next month.
    Vic
    Last edited by vic mcclymont; 7th November 2018 at 08:18 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Eye health :- I have retinal screening every twelve months due to type two diabetes, so far so good. My optician has picked up Macular degeneration disease in both eyes (dry type) not treatable usually age related. Can also be genetic, my dad had it and was almost blind before he died. Eldest brother and sister also have it. Most people do not realise they are affected until impairment stage is reached. Always have your eyes checked guys

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Norton View Post
    Eye health :- I have retinal screening every twelve months due to type two diabetes, so far so good. My optician has picked up Macular degeneration disease in both eyes (dry type) not treatable usually age related. Can also be genetic, my dad had it and was almost blind before he died. Eldest brother and sister also have it. Most people do not realise they are affected until impairment stage is reached. Always have your eyes checked guys
    Ditto Ken but I Have no Macular Degeneration thank goodness otherwise would have double whammy! Check up as well once a Year though. Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast