Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sun Damage

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Sun Damage

Further to recent posts re: ignoring skin moles and blemishes, a small pimple on right side of my forehead, originally no more
    than !/16" in size, biopsy was done a month ago, result... squamous cell carcinoma, caused by the sun, requiring removal by surgery, which was done
    last week, the procedure involved a circular cut 1" or more in dia. with 2 straight cuts, top left and bottom right of circle, called a "pinwheel",
    the result will be a scar looking like "Z" laying on its side. Follow up check will be in 3 weeks when pathology results should be in, then
    will know if all clear, there goes my good looks, (been told a few times I look like Patrick Stewart of "Star Trek").
    Seriously though, this seems like too much information, but hope it helps others be aware, don't mess about, the damage can take 20 years to become exposed.
    Just my two cents worth.

John B

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Sun Damage

Been there done that two BIG Tumours cut out last December, no signs at all , no mole no blemishes.
    Just the sharp eyes of a good dermatologist. Saved my life.
    Thanks to them at Salford Royal Hospital.

Good to see you have found it in time, Scars make your body look interesting , I say.
    Cheers
    Brian

3. Thanks John Blaney, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you can detect them small enough they can be removed by frozen nitrogen if they are not cancerous. Otherwise it is a surgery job.
    We were all exposed to the sun and may well face the consequences in later years. Most are treatable if caught at the early stage.
    Those who were partial to the bronzy should get a check up. Well worth the effort. Liquid nitrogen is a lot better than the knife

5. Thanks Captain Kong, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

never think its nothing get it checked if at all worried? jp

7. Likes Graham Payne, John Blaney, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had my annual Medical check at the ESSO Medical Centre in 1985, the Doctor said I had a freckle on my face. been there for a long time.
    He sent me to the Dreadnought , at St Thomas`s London.
    The nurse said "Take off ALL your clothes,"
    I said` I only have a freckle on my face,`, she said "TAKE THEM OFF". I stripped naked, she said "Lie on that trolley" So I did, the I was surrounded by six young Nurses. smiling at me.,
    I thought , what the hell , it pays to advertise, so I just lay there and enjoyed the moment. I lay like that for about ten minutes , then the woman Dermatologist came in. she just looked at me and said . "What a disgusting unhealthy skin you have."
    I had just flown in from six months in the Gulf and Red Sea. a real good bronzie, she said, "You Seamen are Stupid, always working and lying in the sun, Do not do it again."
    she then said "That freckle is cancer, now turn over," Then she found one on my back I never knew I had.,
    Get off the trolley and follow me, I put on a dressing gown and followed her down the corridor to the operating theatre, and told me lay on the table.
    A Surgeon came in and cut out the one on my face and stitched it up and then cut out the one on my back with more stitches.
    So once again my life was saved from a horrible death.
    So always see a Dermatologist, and check it out, it does not always look like cancer. BUT it could be.
    Brian

9. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

anything at all your body will tell you something is wrong ask your quack get the tests see the proper people cancer can be beaten is a very hard road ups and downs change of lifestyle if needed but fight every inch of the way I am not and never will be the same but what is the alternative ?? jp

11. Thanks cappy, John Blaney, Captain Kong, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by william wallace View Post
    If you can detect them small enough they can be removed by frozen nitrogen if they are not cancerous. Otherwise it is a surgery job.
    We were all exposed to the sun and may well face the consequences in later years. Most are treatable if caught at the early stage.
    Those who were partial to the bronzy should get a check up. Well worth the effort. Liquid nitrogen is a lot better than the knife
    William,don't ever get Frozen nitrogen on your head i had two taken from my head 8 months ago the still give me trouble now, it's ok any were else but not on the nut.I have been given the all clear but never again will i have that treatment for any were on the head.I started having problems as soon as i got out of the doctors rooms. Cutting them out is favored. i have had 3 cut from the nut no problems.Them that were frozen out still give me problems now i have to apply an ointment twice a day.
    Last edited by Charlie Hannah; 22nd August 2016 at 01:03 AM.

13. Thanks Captain Kong, John Blaney, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of the problems with me wearing shorts for most of the time is thta my legs now have a permanant color, no longer white. Arms below the elbow the same and not much I can do unless I wear long clothing. My GP says I am healthy and on occasions uses the frozen nitrogen on anything he thinks might be bad.
    Just keep an eye on any odd spots and so far no problems.
    Had one 'thing' removed from my head back in 1999 and as he took it out the surgeon told me this is nothing as it is clear with no 'legs'. That he explained was bits leading from it.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Thanks Dennis McGuckin, N/A, Neil Morton thanked for this post
    Likes John Blaney, Charlie Hannah, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interestingly, when it comes to scarring, I thought about my upbringing in the tough east end of Glasgow, school was like the "Blackboard Jungle",
    the times at sea when a punch up was unavoidable, the bars where anything could happen, but always managed to a avoid assault by something
    like a bottle or a knife. My concern about scarring, in my present condition, was skillfully handled by my wife: first some reassurance,
    "Ach yer still my wee handsome Johnny", followed by a reality check and severe reprimand about how could I even think about vanity, instead
    of being grateful for the surgery, then she offered that I pour myself a whiskey, ( she very seldom will pour it for me, that would be encouraging it you understand).
    But I am grateful to the surgeon, the medical profession, and always will be.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oz John, Australia is known as the cancer capital of the world by dermatologists and I spent 12 (Oz) summers there in shorts and tank tops. And Japanese safety boots (flip flops) when I went out for dinner, otherwise I was barefoot. I'm on the nitrogen run for my arms every three months plus a full body check by my dermatologist. I have to wear inserts in my shoes and see a podiatrist once a year—my wife says she will kill me if she catches me without a shirt and slacks or barefoot. I still love Oz. though...but stay out of the sun.

Note on my avatar, Taken in the summer in Arkansas, she has me wearing a shirt.

18. Thanks John Blaney, Captain Kong thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast