Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Dreadnought seamens hospital

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dreadnought seamens hospital

The dreadnought Seamens Hospital at Greenwich was mentioned in a post recently.
    What a great place that was, it is still going but at St. Thomas`s Hospital, where they jus have two Wards for Seafarers, But still mixed with NHS Patients , due to the shortage of Seafarers.
    An old friend contacted me a while ago and he needed a Heart By pass operation, he had an 18 month waiting list at Manchester Royal Hospital.
    I told him about the Dreadnought and phoned up for him. [he was an ex seaman] He went down to the Dreadnought two days later. The Surgeon transferred him to Guys Hospital same day as he was operating there that week, and had his By Pass done, all within a few days.
    I had two skin Cancers cut out at the St. Thomas Dreadnought, very quickly seen to. all in a couple of days.
    At the old Dreadnought in Greenwich I had an operation and while there I saw a Dentist and had a tooth pulled and got an eye test and given a pair of reading glasses. It was coming up to Christmas, there was a good crowd in there and some lads I had previously sailed with.
    I put in for extra time, I was having a good time so I didn't want to go home, so they allowed me to stay for another week,
    I would go the Bathroom with my bag, get changed into my go-ashores and climb through the window to the Fire escape, I had a list off the Lads and went to the pub across the road, The Cricketers, and had a few pints, got a few bottles of Rum, packs of Ciggies and then climb back up the fire escape, got changed and back on the ward.
    We had a party one night, just before Christmas, two Nurses from Barbados were there, all hands were bevied on the bottles of Rum and so were the Nurses, we were dancing with them and having a good time, One Nurse we called Miss Piggy, was lying on my bed, the first one by the door, smoking a cig, and then the Matron, a BIG Shore Bosun look alike, burst through the door. I dived on my bed and knocked Miss Piggy onto the floor, she rolled under the next bed, The Matron went Berserk. and Sacked Miss Piggy sending her home immediately.
    We all signed a petition for her and eventually got her reinstated.
    That was a good Hospital. All the Surgeons are from Harley Street, who donate one day a week to the Seamen, it is an old charity.So you get
    the Best treatment.
    So if anyone is on a waiting list for treatment just call them and you get Instant treatment.
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Dreadnought seamens hospital

THAT hospital. In December 1965 I was referred there for a hernia operation.

Has heard a lot about the place and was a somewhat dubious about attending there. I had been told about the picture gallery and after some time decided I would go back to my GP. He then sent me on to Lewisham hospital instead.

I have heard that the place now has been converted to a university, wonder if they still have the pictures there?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Once went to the seaman's hospital in Greenwich with a broken foot.
    First thing they did was to check if I had a dose.
    Before any of you ask.
    No I didn't.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had two operations in the Old Dreadnought in Greenwich, it was so good each time I asked for extra time in there, Never stopped laughing, so different being amongst Seafarers instead a ward full of shore people who do not laugh or understand Seafarers Humour, The Staff were great and were accustomed to dealing with Seafarers who are completely different from Shore people.
    A number of lads in there who had had Hernia operations busted their stitches due to laughing too much and had to be stitched again.
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McGuckin View Post
    Once went to the seaman's hospital in Greenwich with a broken foot.
    First thing they did was to check if I had a dose.
    Before any of you ask.
    No I didn't.

No doubt you pacified them with a bunch of your Tab Nabs Den. Or maybe threw them at the offenders, broken teeth comes to mind!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now that's service for you, Den. but a shame really, you could have had them both done whilst you were there. The dose I mean, not the other foot.
    Richard
    Last edited by Richard Quartermaine; 12th July 2016 at 06:56 AM.
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Any ex Seafarer can use the Dreadnought, if there is a waiting list for your treatment or Operation at your local hospital they will take you in, in a couple of days,
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Quartermaine View Post
    Now that's service for you, Den. but a shame really, you could have had them both done whilst you were there. The dose I mean, not the other foot.
    Richard
    having done some research on the matter of Den and the broken ankle. He did not get it running away from some suspect shelia or from any members of authority.

The fact is he dropped a bag of his Tab Nabs on the ankle.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking of Hospitals

Can anyone recall or perhaps know the old Hospital (Military ) catered for all Service Personel in Southampton,i was sent there for my Appendix Op straight from one of the Ships I was on,it was very close call as it was almost ready to Burst I was told later!
    I remember it had quite small Rooms (Private) and my late Brother Greg came to visit me with a Model Aircraft! He also made me laugh so much it really hurt! The Bugger! LOL

The second night I was there managed to slip out again with Greg and we caught a Bus to the City Centre to have a few Pints! I know it was not too far either but easier than Walking with the Stiches etc. Recall they were the S/Steel Clip Type!
    Next Morning though I was in for the High Jump! And a lot of Pain both in the Head and elsewhere! Silly beggar I was in those days!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

11. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Vernon, The only military hospital that i knew of was at Netley, the royal victoria, very close to the city, now demolished. If its the one you recall , there is a couple of lips on Youtube for it. Tried to load the link, but failed, regards kt

- - - Updated - - -

Damn spell checker , should read LINK. kt

13. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast