Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Dreadnought seamens hospital

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Dreadnought seamens hospital

#23 I stayed at the cockpit hotel a few times in the 70's after Connell House closed. I must have missed the trick about phoning for a girl, having said that there was always one or two in the nightclub in the hotel.

2. Likes Colin Pook liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I stayed one time at a Swiss musicians girlfriends apartment , she even had her own Amah. He was away on tour so I looked after his interests for him. Felt like that movie the world of Susie Wong travelling back on the ferry every morning back to Kowloon. Oh the days of our youth and what we had to put up with. JWS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good morning Capn, and compliments of the season to you and yours.
    DREADNOUGHT!! My G.Pp. refered me to the Dreadnought to have my cataracts removed.. A few weeks later I had a letter inviting me
    to St, Thomas' for the Friday at 15.00 I travelled up to London on the Thursday and presented myself at the eye clinic on the Friday at around 14.45
    I was called in to the examination room around 15.20 , and after the examination was asked to take a seat in the corridor for a few minutes to see the doctor.
    AN HOUR LATER!!! I was called in to the doctors, whereupon a female doctor apologised saying that the consultant had gone home as it was now 17.0
    However, she examined my eyes and studies the result of the earlier exam. and stated that definately needed surgery. I asked her when and she said about 2 weeks.
    I asked her that as I was at the clinic, could I not be operated on whilst I was there. No she said, you will have to see the consultant first. We then agreed that if I were to be at the clinic at 09.00 on the Monday morning
    I might just possibly be seen to in a couple of days. Where are you staying, she asked me--at the Simon Hotel I tod her. O.k. She says, I will make you an appointment for theMonday
    Arriving back at the hotel at around 18.00 I explained to the receptionist what had happened and asked to be allowed to stay there for the week-end. NO! you are only booked in for the 2 days, and you must leave in he morning Sat)
    I explained again that I had an appointment to see the consultant, but no way could I stop over the week-end. aND THAT WAS IT, i CAUGHT THE 09.45 train from Paddington next morning for another 300 mile journey
    Monday morning I phoned the eye clinic at St. Thomas'and apoliges for not being able to keep my appointment for 09.00. The good lady then said she would kake mw a new appointment. 2 weeks later I had heard nothing so I phoned again. Dont worry says she--I will send the clinic a e.mail for you. 2 weeks later I phoned again. NOTHING!! So I phoned again. This time She would phone them for me 3 weeks later-NOTHING!!
    Around then I had to visit my G.P. who asked how I had got on in London. Oh dear! I will fax them for you straight away, which he done in my presence. 3 weeks later--NOTHING!!

So now I have been refered to my local hospital that has a 12-15 month waiting list. I have now been warned that I will have to stop driving, which for me living in a rural area is going to cause problems..

Most disappointed

Colin
    R684420

5. Thanks Captain Kong, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#33... Colin I’ve been waiting about 18 months to date to get my cataracts done. And still no where near the top of the list. Don’t think now will be much of a benefit to a dead man the way things and time takes for this operation. One thing though. Any bits useful which are left to those unfortuanets needing, the eyes won’t be much cop to anyone, apart from the liver probably also. Cheers JS.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi I have just joined the site. I am looking to connect with people that worked or were treated at the Dreadnought Seaman’s hospital. I was the Nursing Sister on ground east ward roughly early 60s. Absolutely loved my job, the staff and other patients. The good old days! Very fond memories and would love to hear any more memories of that time from patients or other staff. I would haves been known as Sister Manifold in those days.
    Last edited by Mary Broadribb; 15th November 2023 at 12:09 PM.

8. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Marian Gray Guest

#35, Welcome to the site Mary. Feel free to add your own, good bad or indifferent whilst waiting for replies.

10. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

there was a naval hospital in seaforth it was pulled down in the 60s big place it was for seamen in ww1? and welcom sister manifold{must have been hot stuff aye} jp

12. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In Green which last summer, hospital well and truly gone.
    Some sort of uni there now from what we saw,
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4