Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dreadnought seamens hospital

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Dreadnought seamens hospital

#18... I beg to differ slightly on the version put out by shore people re poxy sailors. My first hand view of seamen in general was that they did not hide the disease like so many ashore. Treatment for such was always free to them. Many prominent shore people suffered with VD , Churchill’s father being a prime example. A seaman had no wish to hide during my era at sea , most went to a clinic before going home, and were checked out so as not to pass on. Jokingly amongst seamen themselves it was said you weren’t a proper seaman until you had received 7 cures, one for each ocean of the world. All in all as regards VD and general self cleanliness I would say a seaman was much more likely to have higher morals than any shore worker. And didn’t go to the lengths of some to try and hide. JS

Whenever I think of that biblical statement all those millenniums ago, “The sins of the father shall be visited on his children “, my probably bent mind immediately goes to the adminsteration of a penicillin jab , and not jag , as Rob would have it, later when penicillin had run its course was streptomycin , as administrator of this injection sometimes brought up some weird sights and plenty of exclamations of innocence of catching off the toilet seat. Maybe why a lot of certain religions don’t use. Cheers JS

The most dangerous mis thought out prevntative action I saw was with chinese seamen who used to buy penicillin V tablets ashore in a chemist, and before going ashore off the ship used to gulp these down like smarties, they were great believers on preventative cures before they happened, but in this case were backing a loser. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th December 2018 at 05:02 AM.

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anne had her own very high class Flower shop, the very best in Bolton,
    she employed two girls .
    One day one wanted the day off to go to the clinic, she told Anne she had gonorrhea ,
    I was helping in the shop at the time having just retired from seafaring, I was not happy with her working there with a dose, I made her have her own cup seperate from ours . but she started having more time off for the clinic , she also said then she had Chlamydia.
    so I told Anne to sack her, which she did. A year later she called in the shop as she walked past pushing a pram, she said she had just had the baby and the Council had just given her a Three Bedroom Council House to live in. she was 18 years old.and on Benefits.
    So this justs encourages promiscuity amongst young people,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    Anne had her own very high class Flower shop, the very best in Bolton,
    she employed two girls .
    One day one wanted the day off to go to the clinic, she told Anne she had gonorrhea ,
    I was helping in the shop at the time having just retired from seafaring, I was not happy with her working there with a dose, I made her have her own cup seperate from ours . but she started having more time off for the clinic , she also said then she had Chlamydia.
    so I told Anne to sack her, which she did. A year later she called in the shop as she walked past pushing a pram, she said she had just had the baby and the Council had just given her a Three Bedroom Council House to live in. she was 18 years old.and on Benefits.
    So this justs encourages promiscuity amongst young people,
    At one time, The Cockpit Hotel in Singapore room service list - "Flowers in your room call 131" they would send up three girls to choose from.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brian, i think when you said the word, promiscuity, surely you had a smile on your face????, i know you were the same as the rest of as youngsters, after IT, wherever we could get IT !!!!!, the big difference in our time was , if you got a girl pregnant, you were expected to do the honourable thing, and support the mother, and the girl was held in disgrace to a degree. Nowadays its completely acceptable, and no one takes any notice. happy hunting ground for the male species, just my thought, kt
    R689823

6. Likes Captain Kong, Colin Pook, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#18 that article appears to exemplify the myth of seamen and venereal diseases which might have born some truth in Georgian and Victorian times but has no place in modern history. The Dreadnought hospital at the time of its first conception on a hulk on the Thames and later when constructed at Greenwich was more used to treating the contagious diseases like tuberculosis and cholera also things like bronchitis and scurvy plus also the assorted fractures and lacerations that came about through the seaman's occupation. They did try to treat venereal infections at the time but the majority of venereal diseases were treated at the Lock Hospitals which had been established solely for that purpose in London in 1747 and in other cities around the U.K. through Victorian times. Venereal diseases were common in all parts of society and were not just common to seamen. Lock Hospitals were opened across India in the 1800's due to the amount of soldiers that were infected. The Admiralty even payed for two to be opened in Portsmouth in 1858 and another in Plymouth in 1863.
    Venereal disease had become such a problem in society that in 1864 parliament had enacted the contagious diseases act the acts allowed police to arrest women suspected of being prostitutes in certain port cities and garrison towns around the U.K. If a woman was found to be infected she could be interned in a Lock(ed) hospital for 3 months this was extended for up to a year in an amendment in 1869. The Acts themselves created a lot of controversy as many people at the time including campaigners, politicians and all parts of society were prone to social diseases (The Victorian name for Venereal Disease) they sparked the debate between men and women over women's inequality in society. It was an early issue that led to women organising themselves politically.

8. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#23 I bet some greedy baskets took them all . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th December 2018 at 01:06 PM.

10. Likes Colin Pook liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#25... in another post I mentioned the bars in japan as having A or B on their doors. A class B bar denoted they were off limits to US forces. This was because a case of VD had been contacted there.
    Reminds me of that old joke on site somewhere where he Abbess of a nunnery gets all the nuns together and says....sisters I must tell you we have a case of gonorhea in the nunnery, oh goody says the Irish novice at The back, I was getting sick of that Chardonnay. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th December 2018 at 03:20 PM.

12. Likes Denis O'Shea, john walker, Colin Pook, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Out side the docs office in a queue for a jab which cured most of the VD at the time.

You had to be at the front of the queue or you felt the pain of a blunt needle, could do ten at least with one.

Never saw it but heard of the 'picture gallery' at the hospital, some terrible photos by all accounts.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Likes j.sabourn, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You only had to look at it the Shipmasers Medical Guide on every ship John to see some of the most exquisite coloured photographs. For any one of a nervous or clean minded disposition would either put them off sex for life , or go running for medical checks at every port. When doing the course on childbirth in Liverpool you should have seen the number of green gilled ruffy tuffy seamen making extreme headway in knots towards the exit door. JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#28... Now John you are letting the cat out of the bag. I only ever knew standing in a queue to receive smallpox, cholera, or yellow fever jabs. I heard there were a lot of Smith’s and Browns in those queues you are talking about. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 17th December 2018 at 11:24 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast