Thread: The Thre Faces of Plague

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The Thre Faces of Plague

Most people think of plague as a single disease, but there are in fact 3 forms of it. Bubonic Plague is the most common form. Its transmitted by a flea bite, has a 2 to 6 day incubation period, and causes classic symptoms; an egg shaped bubo at the site of the flea bite and black purple bruises from internal haemorrhaging. In medieval plague cases, it also gave rise to an almost indescribably foul stench which seemed to come from inside the victim; for reasons no one quite knows, this has not been observed in modern victims. Left untreated, bubonic plague has a mortality rate of 60 per cent.
    The second form of plague is pneumonic plague, the only form that can be spread from human to human. It starts off as bubonic plague, but then bacilli escape the lymph system and invade the lungs, causing the victim to cough up blood. Relatively uncommon today. This was the main form of plague during the Black Death. Left untreated it will kill up to 95 per cent of its victims. The third most deadly form of plague is septicaemic plague, wherein massive amounts of plague bacilli move directly into the bloodstream. No one survives septicaemic plague if left untreated, and death has been known to occur within 14 hours of the onset of symptoms. Fortunately, all forms of plague can now be treated effectively with intravenous antibiotics , such as streptomycin, tetracycline and doxycycline.

Almost 2 years ago I was in hospital for over a week in an isolation ward, the hospital staff seemed always doubtful that I hadn't been abroad recently which I hadn't. I had visitations from about 6 different doctors, the only way I knew they were different was by their shape and size as all wore masks. When I was finally released I was told I had suffered from a stomach disorder, but strongly suspect they thought I had the plague. Anyhow I know I haven't got it, how about you guys on all those visits to grass huts down the west coast years ago. May even have had Bubonic plague and never knew. Sleep well. I never had to sew up anyone emitting foul stenches so must have sailed with good clean living crews. Unless was emitting too many stenches myself. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 20th May 2016 at 10:52 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The Thre Faces of Plague

The only time I came in contact with the plague was in Saigon in early 1960's when we were vaccinated against it. We loaded in the stream with lots of night food boats etc.. Must of been good vacinations as we did not catch it.

3. Likes j.sabourn, cappy, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    I still have all my vaccination certificates, I remember in Calcutta the Indian Dr sharpening his needle on a piece of emery paper then dipping it in some mixture to clean it, same needle for all the crew, imagine that happening now.
    Cheers Des

5. Likes j.sabourn, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There used to be a chap in Liverpool, name of Ross, who, while not claiming any effective barrier against certain types of 'plague', could certainly tidy you up post infection. Discreet too. (Allegedly).
    R635733

7. Likes cappy, Captain Kong, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john gill View Post
    There used to be a chap in Liverpool, name of Ross, who, while not claiming any effective barrier against certain types of 'plague', could certainly tidy you up post infection. Discreet too. (Allegedly).
    He told me you were the quietest patient he ever had!

9. Likes cappy, Captain Kong, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    He told me you were the quietest patient he ever had!
    Hmm. seems patient confidentiality wasn't his watchword then. I wasn't aware you were a frequent visitor yourself.
    R635733

11. Likes Captain Kong, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#3 Des he probably cleaned the needle in Carbon Technachloride, which some enterprising 2nd mate sold him. They hadn't discovered Aids then so you should be ok, as no one ever mentioned it at least. Cheers JS

13. Likes Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john gill View Post
    Hmm. seems patient confidentiality wasn't his watchword then. I wasn't aware you were a frequent visitor yourself.
    I was talking to him in the pub next door, what he told me put me off seeing him professionally!

15. Likes Dennis McGuckin, John Gill liked this post