Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Old age and depression

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Old age and depression

Although I have never considered of myself getting old, it is really cast up at one every day in one form or another. Usually go once a month to get the feet done. The new chiropodist was talking the usual small talk and he said he was of Turkish descent. Was asking him various questions and he said he was only 23. I was talking to him as on equal age levels and he didn't know what I was talking about. The same must also apply to some of the youngsters who come on here asking various questions and most on here probably wonder why they ask so out of the way queries and think everyone should already know the answers. When you consider there is about 60 years difference in age so what they are asking is really History, this is when I get depressed as realize how old am getting. This was further emphasized when the wife had to go for treatment for arthritis and I realized she was an old woman, so am thinking of putting my name down for one of the strange ones looking for mates from these mystical eastern countries. When I mentioned this to the wife I received all manner of threats, so the depression I thought I had beaten returned. At sea we all sailed with older seamen on my first trip to sea the Chippy was in his eighties was of Norwegian origin and strong as a bull. If anyone had called him an old man they would have had to be a fast runner. At sea in our time age was immaterial, only latterly when as I said a youngster asked me when I was in my 60"s when I was retiring as I was holding him back, was when depression starts to get a foothold. Yet by the same token I was asked to go work in the Islands for an American company, and when I said I was 67 he said so what the bloke you are relieving is 81. So age in some cases doesn't really matter as long as one can do the job. Age is something that is used by employers and government alike and will use to their own benefit. A lot of elderly people get depression and really there is no need, just enjoy life as it comes and make the most of it. No more walking up bulkheads, trying to sleep on bits of damp foam rubber, having your tap stopped, and all the manner of atrocities performed by someone else who probably himself had depression and wanted everyone else in the same boat. Life is for living as Brian Kong said, and make the most of it, if too hard up take some of the empty bottles back to the boozer and get the deposits, money is not that important any case. Should never have been invented. JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Old age and depression

If you wake up and see the ceiling then you are 100% ahead, and I don't care whose ceiling it is, only time you have a problem is if the ceiling is wooden and it's only two inches from your nose.

I still walk at least two miles a day, dance (not whilst walking!), rock and roll, as the doctor said keep moving whilst you can, it keeps the aches at bay.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1- As with JS I've never considered myself to be 'elderly', which realistically is largely delusionary- you're as old as you are. However an incident during this week illustrated perhaps how other people regard those they consider a 'certain age' Shopping in Greggs (I'd gone ashore for a loaf),for those unfamiliar with the name, it's a nationwide chain of bakers in UK. After making my purchase, I held out my hand for the change which was placed in my palm and the assistant ALMOST attempted to wrap my fingers round the change in a misguided gesture to prevent me losing it on my way home. I gave her a really hard look and left.
    Actually, she may have had some difficulty with this- a complication of Type 2 diabetes, which I suffer from, is Dupuytren's Contracture, or 'claw hand' which causes the finger joints to bend inwards. I have this on fingers on both hands, and even after two operations, it hasn't improved. Next time I'm in Greggs i'll tender the correct amount.
    Gilly
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you had hands like that at sea Gilly, would of got around you had (b)ankers doom. Your one up on a lot of seamen who had various digits missing. Was always an excuse for not getting a full round in. Cheers JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No answer to this one, if you think you are old you will look, dress and act old. On the other hand if you think you are still young people will give you strange looks when walking down the street in your Teddy Boy suit.
    The best way to deal with this problem is to become an eccentric, this way you can do whatever you want to do whenever you want to do it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't feel old, I work out with my weights and exercise bike daily. I am 80 in a few weeks in June. good diet, only two glasses of wine with dinner per week only. So keeping fit and healthy.
    All my friends keep dropping off the perch, four this year.
    I am now in the position of having more friends in Tahiti than I have in Bolton. Only two left. I am tired of going to the crematorium to see them off on their final voyage,
    I refuse to join them, ``Refuse to go , they cannot take you``,. so far so good.
    I chopped down a big tree in my garden yesterday and tomorrow starting to pave a path way with 3 x 2 granite flags, quite heavy, but I can do it.
    Keep active, good diet no crap and you will live for ever.
    Cheers
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 17th April 2015 at 09:13 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Your only as old as your shoe size" says SHMBO
    "Your as old as your tongue but older than your teeth" was my mothers reply to anyone asking her age.
    rgds
    JA {U.K. size 9}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are only as old as the woman you feel,
    But she is getting on a bit.
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Abso bloody lootly Brian. Wake up, down a glass of water. Breakfast - three heaped desert spoons of wholegrain raw rolled oats in a dish soaking in soy milk whilst hoeing into a slice of papaya. Slice half a banana on top of the oats plus a sprinkle of CSIRO barley max flakes. Finish off with a slice of continental bakers Rye and sunflower bread buttered and honey and sloshed down with black sugarless tea. From then a light lunch, usually cheese on rye, water and a good solid dinner and a glass or two of red. Before bed a large glass of water. Luckily I can now drink water and get some sleep since my prostate cancer got zapped six years and I got to sport a supra pubic catheter with a tap that I hook up to a bottle at night and sleep like a bairn.
    Margaret and I do all the work and maintenance around the home except I don't take risks on ladders to the second floor.
    Our dear old Cleo kept us on the move and she got a couple of kilometres walkies most days but rarely no walkies. We miss her terribly so have found a six month's of age puppy of the same breed; a briard, but fawn instead of black and a male. His name is Yoshi, he is coming this Sunday to take up his duties as head of security, walkies reminder and bouncer and at 84 we have no intention of getting too old to have to include him in the kid's inheritance.
    Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a cunning plan to live forever, and it's working out just as planned at the moment, kt

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast