Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Liver diseases caused by alcohol.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Liver diseases caused by alcohol.

I have just been watching my son on BBC TV NEWS 24, he was with a lad who was drinking Four cans of strong Lager a day, and now has serious Liver Disease, I got him up again on I-Player at 9.54 am.
    He was giving the Patient a scan then talked about it.
    Portsmouth has a big problem with alcohol related diseases and he has a special unit there in the Queen Alexandria Hospital.
    Liver Disease is now the Third cause of early death and over 600,000 people are affected every year. up 62% in ten years.
    He has just phoned me, he is on his way to London to give a talk at the Royal Society on the subject.
    When I think of all the plonk that has gone down my throat over the years. all kinds of strong spirits, ale of all kinds much of it of a very dubious nature, it is amazing I and a lot of us are still here.
    I think the only thing that has saved us was being at sea with a few weeks or months without any plonk before the next session so it gave the Liver time to heal.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 27th November 2014 at 12:02 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Liver diseases caused by alcohol.

I was in hospital early part of year, as was taken in and received all sorts of tests as thought I had some tropical fever. Told them I hadn't been out of the country for yonks, On a full body scan was surprised there was little wrong with liver and kidneys etc. which surprised me as expected the worse. Most seamen of our era apart from their reputation, heavy drinking was sporadic and not continuous, would of thought a shore worker who has more opportunity to partake would be more likely to have such complaints, Cheers John S

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is right John
    Shore people have the opportunity to be in the alehouse every day or even a drink at home so the Liver never has a chance to recover,
    I would say that I was a plonky when I was a young teenage or 20s but at sea most ships in the old days had very little booze on board if any and then with many dry days at sea we could recover easily.
    My son said if you drink have two of three dry days a week give the Liver a rest. and saves the damage.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 27th November 2014 at 12:16 PM.

4. Thanks j.sabourn, Neil Morton thanked for this post
    Likes Lou Barron, Richard Quartermaine liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Think if i lived in Portsmouth i would be hitting the plonk as well, KT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brian / John, I think the difference was as you say we downed anything, But I for one when I was actually at sea keeping sea watches never drank at all. I also think the strength of these lagers some are 10% if you throw 4 of them in you every day and have no reason to get out of your bunk all day sooner or later it has to have an effect. What channel was he on Brian and what was the program called I will watch it myself Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Terry
    here it is
    I have just been watching my son on BBC TV NEWS 24, he was with a lad who was drinking Four cans of strong Lager a day, and now has serious Liver Disease, I got him up again on I-Player at 9.54 am.

..My mates wife died in May this year of Cirrhosis of the Liver, I didn't know she drank but he told me after that she was quite a heavy drinker at home, she was only 63. Another mate lost his wife to Cirrosis about five years ago, she became an alcoholic and she died aged 53.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 27th November 2014 at 12:31 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After reading about the effects of alcohol on the liver should i tip my gin down the drain Well not bloody likely i will die of something one day but i dont think it will be drinking gin
    In my younger days i did drink a lot and had plenty of hang overs
    Now i have cut it down a lot but i still enjoy my G&T so i think i will die happy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post #7
    Totally agree with you there Lou. The Doctor told me to pack up smoking 7 years ago which I did and have never touched a cigarette since. However not to enjoy a drink or two, that is not going to happen. You enjoy your G&T and I will enjoy my Bacardi and Coke. Cheers mate!
    Regards
    John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was once told drink responsibly, I do, I am responsible for all I drink.
    Last Friday we went out on the Tram Resaurant three hours for a five course meal and all you can drink. Had my brother as driver, just as well as I ended full as.

Had my annual blood test couple of weeks ago, liver, kideys etc all working as normal.

When you consider most of us were professional drinkers we have done very well, but the problem with the younger ones having Liver and other problems is I believe not just the grog but the drugs they take with it.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was carted in a few months ago put in a side ward all wired up for the heart trace a four bed ward the other three beds where occupied by drunks all fighting each other 6 security guards and the doctor asked me do I smoke?? I told her did you ask them do they drink I thought I was in for a bollocking of the quacks they told me I have the lungs of a much younger man. try your lung capacity by blowing balloons up what you put in a balloon in one go..jp

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast