Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Liver diseases caused by alcohol.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Liver diseases caused by alcohol.

We live in a world of strange laws, morals and codes of behaviour.
    Millions are spent on the war on drugs, yet the two most powerful, addictive and dangerous drugs, tobacco and alcohol are perfectly legal.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Louis look at this country join the army carry a weapon yet you cant vote or go for a pint!!!! jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In full agreement John. I have smoked and drank nearly all my life, enjoyed it all. I only stopped because I had to for health reasons.
    The point I was making was all governments are hypocrites when it comes to drug policies.

4. Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Louis I think the drugs will never stop I think its the government not getting any dosh for drugs sold on the streets is pi..ing them off.. jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I put this thread on as an interest, as we have all and still are drinkers.
    But it is also to draw attention to certain health damages that can be caused by excessive alcohol abuse.
    I must have been the biggest boozer of all time, I would be a very wealthy and fitter man but for the ale. I was known as `Alehouse`.
    But now approaching 80 in about 28 weeks, I guess I have to curb it a little.
    Most of us were saved from physical damage because of our long periods at sea where the Liver could repair itself.
    Most shore people did not have that and they are the ones who suffer the most from it.
    I have a near relative, by marriage, He has his own company and has big contracts, commissioning oil rigs and FPSOs in the North Sea.
    In fact he flies out today to another Rig. He is a screaming alcoholic. He had a beautiful home, a beautiful wife and two lovely children, He had it all, he is now living in a B and B, He has destroyed a beautiful family and home.
    He has been booked for drunk driving, fell asleep at the wheel, he will lose his license when he appears in Court in January. Just spent a few months ago, £16,000 on a eight week rehab in London and came out worse than he went in, I have told him he is going to die, not interested, my son has told him about the damage to his Liver and Pancreas, not interested. when he is off the `booze` he drinks Listerine Mouth Wash, it contains alcohol, he drinks Hand Sterilizer , it contains alcohol. He is 44 years old and is a stinking mess.
    It is OK to laugh and say I am OK been doing it all my life. but some people are seriously affected by it. It destroys lives and including innocent lives, the family.
    I haven't had a drink this year because of my chemo medication, very radical, so I guess my liver has had time to repair itself, I hope to be off it when I go back to hospital on 8 December so I can have a bevy at Christmas.
    So if my son`s advice can save one person it would have been worth it.
    Cheers
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 28th November 2014 at 11:46 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brian, what your son is saying is echoed here on the media health programmes. Moderation and have at least one, preferably two alchohol free days. I suppose I was a bit of a wuss for I never drank aboard ship but always had my share ashore. I have a day or two 'dry' a week now and apart from the radiation cancer 'cure' occasional intervention, work around the house and garden and take the dog for long walkies as I have done for the last twenty five years. It certainly is worth it.
    I look forward to welcoming you into the Octogenarian Club in June, 2015.
    Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi shipmates, we all done a bit of drinking e.t.c at sea, I still remember the rum ration on a sunday, but as Captain Kong pointed out most ships for the crew were dry? officers could drink alcohol at any-time ? you were lucky to have a few cans on the week-end so most of us were on the drink in port? but Not on the oil tankers .Crew bars were starting on most ships for the crew about 1970 maybe ? but some crew on the passenger ship allways had booze. Today young people go on the booze from a very early age next time your are out and about in any city or town centre look out for empty cans/ bottles they are every-where to be seen The cheap booze bars are still full, in Cardiff Tesco supermarket western avenue has the record for the largest amount of Cidar sold in one day in the U.K Alco pops started this drinking craze with young people. I have seen gangs of young girls drunk walking around Cardiff on Rugby days at 10 am, if this is now the way things are going, with the amount of Cheap Vodka {bogus} sold in all corner shops and private supermarkets, liver diseases will become a major killer for many more young people.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Louis mi amigo.
    you are quite right about the young ones today, they drink a bottle of Vodka before they go out in the evening and then sup more during the evening. Vodka is the worst, Rum, Whisky and Gin is far better, the quality is guaranteed.
    My lad had two young girl patients last year, both 16 years old and he had the awful task of telling both sets of Parents that their daughters were going to die. they could not have a liver transplant because the supporting organs had also been destroyed, They are both Dead now. I guess they are not laughing anymore.
    They were on the cheap Vodka. £4 a bottle in the booze shops.
    There was a case a while since, that the eastern Europeans were selling it here full of Anti Freeze.
    A TV Documentary last year showed my lad going round the booze shops in Portsmouth asking the managers, [all Asian] to stop selling to kids, they were not interested. Business is business. Cheap Cider is also one of the killers.
    He is on the front line and sees it all, not a lot of us really see what is going on here in our everyday lives.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

brian funny in that religion its forbidden to go near any booze but they will go near it to sell to you?? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Same as drugs and prostitution, John. taboo in their religion.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast