Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Alzheimers Illness

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Alzheimers Illness

Not a pleasant illness is that. my brother, ex Seaman, has it and in a care home, very sad to see him deteriorate. from a Big roughy toughy Saillor to a shambling wreck waiting to die.
    Cheers
    Brian

Have moved to create a new Thread Capt,as its not really for the Jokes ,and as the Jokes are periodically trimmed these posts would be lost
    Thanks !
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 25th July 2014 at 06:54 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Alzheimer's

same here brian went to see my brother yesterday ...he is 4 years younger than me and is a shadow of what he was .......iwould wish to help more but there is nothing that can be done for him ......i had pat and two of my grandchildren .....with me and the kids were upset about the state of there once great fun loving uncle who struggled to remember them ......its a awful disease regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Alzheimer's

My dear Wife and Family went through that awful period with their dear Mother,she was such a lovely kind and thoughtful Lady in her days,and was so very sad to see her going the way she did,the worst part of it all as a lot will know is the time it takes.
    Months of heartache for all concerned ,and not nice to say but we were all relieved (although completely devastated) when dear Mum eventually went to rest!
    God Bless Olive! Always in our Memory!

Cheers
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 25th July 2014 at 12:21 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Alzheimers Illness

for years Barbara worked in a nursing home with both dementia and Alzheimer's illness{I won't say disease} it is an illness its a blessing for some who pass. most in the home were people we knew neighbours and people from our youth it made it hard when you know what somebody was to what they became I would take the dog once a week they all seem to come out of their shells even for a short while. the brain is a wondrous piece of kit and in time there will be a cure?bless them all. jp

Thanks John I have changed that Title! Sorry it is an Illness indeed!
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 25th July 2014 at 06:56 AM.

5. Thanks Doc Vernon, Louis the Amigo thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi shipmates, Last night found out one of my friends in the club a great singer KENNY is on his way to a care home due to Alzheimers, he has been getting bad over the last two years, At First he had trouble remembering words to songs, he worked for decca records, for years knew many famous singers' and he cant remember where he lives today? and thinks his son in law is out to get him? his daughter is a nurse, and looks after him but her job has taken her away, He dont think they anything wrong with himself ?they took his driving lincense a few years ago, u turns in main roads and speeding tickets and a few bumps. He still wants it back? Kenny was in the army a virgin soldier in the jungle, a very nice guy. he will be missed by all his friends not a nice way to go getting old is a B----

7. Likes cappy, Louis the fly liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder why there is Alzheimers, What is causing it.? I do not remember 60 years ago people getting it.. today it seems like an epidemic.
    Is it the chemicals that is sprayed on our food on farms.
    Weed Killers, If it can kill weeds, what does it do to us?
    Pesticides, If it can kill Insects, what is it doing to us.
    When I worked on farms in the 40s we used cattle manure, Muck Spreading,
    Now it is all chemicals. and they will not stop using it as it is cost effective,
    I remember a few years ago, in Devon or Cornwall, a lorry dumped a whole load of chemicals in the water works and the local town all got DEMENTIA,
    Cheer s
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 25th July 2014 at 09:05 AM.

9. Thanks cappy, Richard Quartermaine, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Louis the Amigo liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

did read at one stage that aluminium was one of the causes...... and the latest a vitamin deficiency.......didnt think there was many vitamins about 70 years ago ...and there wasnt much alzhiemers then.......i do know the forecast for the future is horrendous and only hope a cure is found.as the cost ofcare is very high ...between 2 and 3 grand per month in yorks .....the care home my mother was in was excellant but it was the last day of the month whe she died but an hour or so into the ist day of the next month and they sent me a bill for 24 hours when she had died about12 30 ......it caused a bit of an uproar to say the least

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Basically an aged related condition (but not always) with the advent of more people living longer these days as opposed to our parents and grandparents time there is bound to be an apparent numerical increase of the condition. We in our 70's/80's would have been considered ancient some 50 plus years ago and 'lucky' to be still alive at such an old age. We didn't talk about alzheimers at the time, because most didn't realise it existed, just putting down to our parents wanderings (if any) and what to expect when we got older, we had more local neighbourly care in the community then and would say, 'there's old Mable, must be talking to herself again as she has walked past her own front door' and someone would shout 'Eh! Mable, where you going' and that would inevitably bring them back to the present. Sadly that local community has disappeared with so called progress and older people now spend more time on their own and have no friendly neighbours to stimulate their concentration, which is what help keeps the illness at bay. That it is why it is essential for sites like this, even though we may not agree with all contributions, to keep our interests alive and the little grey cells active and accept others views, warts n all, because without those warts we would have nothing to stimulate us in composing our own contributions

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My sentiments entirely, Ivan. My mother died in 1983 aged 86 having spent years deteriorating in mind and body in a nursing home. Over these years I would go down to Sydney from Jakarta and Singapore but each visit would leave me shattered. It hurt the time when she opened her eyes and called me Allan (my brother who would have been 90 on Wednesday last if he is still alive) but hurt even more when she didn't even speak. Yes, this site, the regular revision of past activities, writing about them and keeping alert to everything around us does have a bearing on the health of our brain. The gene fear is always there and every afternoon after lunch that we are home Margaret and I have some nuts or chocolate to munch and play Scrabble. I know that my short term memory is not as good as it was so I make a point of deliberately checking myself and it seems to work. It's a nuisance to be standing in a room asking yourself "what the hell am I hereafter". Richard
    Last edited by Richard Quartermaine; 25th July 2014 at 11:18 AM.
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with Ivans comments , Tony.
    Writing does stimulate the mind, just even thinking up a silly answer, it is all exercise for the brain. which needs to be exercised as much as the body.
    .Regarding my brother, who is in a Care Home in Blackpool. I have not seen him for 12 months now, July 2013,
    Neither has his two brothers, two sisters, his Four sons, and his Grandchildren.
    His Second wife, has put the block on All his blood family.
    Last August, we had a meeting with Social Services at their Office in Blackpool. with her and her dysfunctional family. and all our family including his sons. We were told that because She is His wife. she has the Legal right to decide who can or cannot visit. He went into hospital, with DVT and a clot on the Lung. The hospital denied entry to visit him in hospital, we had to have a pass word from his wife, no chance, ask on the phone, `How is he?`, `no password, no comment.`
    We have taken legal advice on this. No chance, what she says goes. We contacted CQC, Care Quality Commission, who supervises the quality of Hospitals and Care Homes. Nothing they can do about it.

Now the Only person to suffer is Jim, never seen anyone for a year. no stimulation of a visit. just sat like a zombie, in a small room with eight other men , locked in on the third floor. They wear sanitary pads, so they just sit in their own urine and crap all day. The place stinks.
    The Second wife very rarely visits, maybe once a week for a few minutes and will not allow anyone to go.
    She has power of Attorney so there is absolutely nothing his family can do.
    She will not allow the Care Home to have the telephone Number of his eldest son. So if he dies no one would know,
    He could even be dead and cremated now and we would not know.
    and All this is legal in Law. I really do despair at laws like that.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast