Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Alzheimers Illness

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Alzheimers Illness

I will reach 90 in Dec. Let me tell you all that there are many things that keep my mind active.

One , at the top of the list is this site which I diligently follow and sometimes post. Many others and my life style keep me alive especially since I live alone. I often say that Malt whisky, Cigars, The Canadian Legion, Poppy campaign, reading, computers, compiling my seafaring history (special thanks to these M.N.websites), my young g'friend (84) she'll kill me if she ever reads this! I could go on, but the last thing is that I recently bid and bought on EBay a long lost M.N. silver badge to add to my collection for family use when I, "Pop My Clogs".

Enjoy what you can in life and always be thankful for the many things we have. Perhaps these thoughts will help others. p.s. I do have a few health issues. Cheers, Eric

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can only echo what others have said regarding this illness. My Mother died of it in 2000 aged 80. I was living on the Isle of Man at that time and because of business commitments throughout the week, I would catch the plane to Liverpool on Saturday morning and return to the Island on Sunday night. During a conversation I had with one of the Doctors he explained to me that the illness could last for 7 years before it caught up with you so to speak. She would say things to me like - Did you see your Dad whilst you were away, he should be home any day now. My Dad died in 1974 but in her mind he was still sailing with Cunard. Eventually she went into a care home which was where she passed away. All very sad. As others have said, keep the brain cells working. I tell you the day that I do not feel like a Bacardi and Coke will be one hell of a worrying day.
    Regards
    John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

john this brings to mind a lady Barbara looked after in the nursing home she used to regress saying she had to get alfs tea on he had been dead for 25 years? other days she did not want to go to school because she was on a period she was well in her 80s but she could go back to her infant days in school and remember everyone in her class? Dennis a second world war spitfire pilot. a house I did a lot of work in his day was getting dressed going onto his mobility scooter driving down the path coming back getting out of his hat coat gloves at least 20 times a day his wife molly was dedicated to him . I went to his house one day and he was sitting in his chair and just said to him come on Dennis we have work to do he answered hello john molly make john a cup of tea please molly fell back she told me they were the only words he had spoken in over a year? lovely fella both he and molly passed now but shows somewhere inside in the dark the person is in there somewhere a very sad illness that takes its toll on everybody around them and as soon as a cure is found is not to soon stem cells has brought result but why do people object is beyond me?jp

4. Likes Colin Hawken liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Funny you should say that John. My Mum could remember something that happened when I was a kid and recall every detail of the event, yet she could not remember something that I had said to her 5 minutes ago for example. It really is quite distressing to see this happening to the one you love.
    Regards
    John

6. Thanks Captain Kong, Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes John Pruden liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Alzheimers Illness:

Will not add much further: All humour is based upon the misfortune of someone or something,

NOS DA K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What I think is so sad is when there are people in their late 30s and 40s who get the genetic early onset Alzheimer's , I thought about the comments on it seems more prevalent today than it ever was , when I was school age there was a large " hospital " next to the village , and it was full at all times , my mother was the Cook there . They housed men with Downs Syndrome , Cerebral palsy , and all varieties of Dementia . The Ridgeway Hospital was where people hid their problems , now with care in the community we see many more people with these ailments , and maybe we have a better understanding so can help more with memories when people are housed in the community .
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

9. Thanks N/A, John Callon, Richard Quartermaine thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

rob not so many years ago when parents died off with downs children? the downs children were put in Walton prison at an age {18} what a way to treat our needy totally different today thankfully?jp
    Last edited by John Pruden; 26th July 2014 at 09:07 AM.

11. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

where I live now the old "Mental " institutions have all bar one been closed and the extensive grounds sold for housing development releasing millions of pounds as well as some excellent housing land . I believe that care in the community is a brilliant idea , but it needs to be done well , some of the homes leave a lot to be desired , I have seen homes here and in my native Derbyshire , and I am unsure of the required standards , but as an observation , most of the care home workers were health care assistants rather than nurses , and they all seem to be on minimum wages , attracting non English speakers , so when you have a little old lady of eighty plus who is a bit deaf being asked what she wants for her dinner , you might as well be talking in gibberish to her . Like many modern ideas , the idea is good , but I have doubts about how well it is funded and practice

http://www.centreformentalhealth.org...on_reality.pdf

At the heart of offender health care lies an indisputable fact: people with acute severe mental illness should not be in prison. No matter how much better prisons become at providing for mental ill health in the broader sense – and they have greatly improved in recent years – they are not the right place, clinically or ethically, for psychosis. Our best figures on mental disorder in prison are still those that came out of the 1997 psychiatric morbidity survey in England and Wales (Singleton et al, 1998). It found functional psychosis in seven per cent of male sentenced prisoners, 10 per cent of males on remand and 14 per cent of female prisoners – these figures are several times higher than the equivalent findings for the general population. The same study reported that more than 90 per cent of prisoners had a mental health problem of some kind and that more than 70 per cent of both male and female sentenced prisoners had at least two mental disorders. Sixty-four per cent of sentenced male prisoners and 50 per cent of female prisoners had a personality disorder. A decade later, in 2008, a Ministry of Justice survey gave similar figures. It also found that 69 per cent of prisoners had used illicit drugs in the year before custody, and that 31 per cent had used heroin. In the four weeks before custody 36 per cent had been drinking heavily.
    The relationship between the mental health of offenders and their risk of offending and re-offending is, however, more complex than these figures imply. For many, mental disorder is associated with poor social circumstances and a lack of social supports. Those with ‘lower level’individual needs may also have chaotic lifestyles.They may have been poorly educated or victims of abuse. It is their combination of problems that keeps their prospects poor and their risk of offending high. d .

So maybe if the government of the day sorted out the care in the community and the addiction to drink and drugs the money saved in locking people away cpuld be given to caring for them in a way they need , but hey out of sight ...... So locking people up in Walton without just cause is not that far away John
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

13. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

a few days a month I would go and do work for the Caledonian society it was like a Scottish widows club I would go to their houses for free and do some minor jobs new locks repair windows etc all free I must say it cost me a few bob it was well worth meeting the old girls some were targeted by so called builders that would take advantage of them price wise? I don't know how many I told not to let people in their house some would have family living with them and meeting some of the old dears some would ask who are you even though I went to the same house lots of times its sad to think some end their hard working lives like that?jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    I agree with Ivans comments ,.
    ---He could even be dead and cremated now and we would not know.
    and All this is legal in Law. I really do despair at laws like that.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Brian
    It is quite unlikely that a power of attorney would allow her to exclude vsitors.
    There are two kinds of Lasting Power of Attorney:
    1. Deals with Property & Finance and nothing to do with welfare, this is the kind that most people take out.
    2. Deals with Health & Welfare, it is rare for such to be in place and even if it does it is there to allow the Attorney certain rights regarding the welfare of the Donee, I have drawn up many of these in the course of my work as a paralegal and never ever have I seen the rights to exclude visitors.

If an old Enduring Power of Attorney is in place then this has no provision for health and welfare decisions.

Hope this might help
    Regards
    Chris
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 8th August 2014 at 07:34 AM.

16. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast