Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Smoking

For the past three weeks I have been engaged in a major battle with my will power to stop smoking.
    It is a hard fight, a little voice in my head keeps saying just have one it will do no harm.
    The reasons I am trying to quit are, when I take my two dogs out for their daily walk I am stopping more often to catch my breath and also I am fed up standing outside in the wind and rain to have a fag whenever I go out.
    The worst times for me are the mornings. My daily routine has been to read the newspapers on line and log on to this site with lots of coffee and cigarettes, now it is just the coffee.
    The fight is far from over, the drug will not let me go easily and I know it will be a long time before I can say I am an ex smoker.

2. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Smoking

Lou
    With strength and perseverance you will I know succeed ,its will I know be hard,but if Irene could do it then I am sure you can!

Watched our very good Neighbour (when in Penrith) die a very painful and slow death!
    It was not a very pretty sight !

Emphysema is not a very nice thing to have,and by the sounds of it Lou,you have to beginning of it!
    Take Care and do try very hard!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Thanks Louis the fly, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, alf corbyn, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Louis I visited a doctor in the hospital he was about 25stone first thing he asked do you smoke I replied do you drink? I felt like saying do you over eat fat bastard!! after that we got on. I smoke always have. to many things going on with me I enjoy a cigarette {not going to say fag} cappy would be right on that one. in an industrial city put a white sheet out for a few days and see how white it is after a day or two.jp

6. Thanks EIFION thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Captain Kong, alf corbyn, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Louis is there a "Fagends" near you probably in a local Health Centre.You can get a choice of different things to help you quit all completely free all help with the struggle and you can be monitored each week to keep you on your toes.Well worth a go,good luck in your quest.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

8. Thanks Louis the fly thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Louis
    Try one of those electronic cigarettes as an aid to your willpower. Go for the ones that have a liquid filler. You may look a bit daft but everyone I know who has used them, say they were a great help in assisting them to give up the cigarettes.
    Keep trying and good luck.
    rgds
    JA

10. Likes Louis the fly liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I stopped the final time about 30 years ago, I say that but have had the occasional cigar before retired in 2002, nothing since then. It took me about three goes, stopped for 2 months, and 9 months once, and then restarted with a vengeance. When I fell by the wayside before I retired I used to buy a packet go into a pub and smoke the whole lot excluding the carboard packet, and sicken myself. Usually away working at the time, as wouldnt dare going home smelling of cigarettes. If I could of been a social smoker would probably never have stopped but was a compulsive one, never had a cigarette out of my hand. How anyone can afford to smoke today beats me. You have to go cold turkey, just stop, I know it takes some doing been there. Best of Luck, if I could do it, so can you. Cheers John S

12. Thanks alf corbyn thanked for this post
    Likes alf corbyn, N/A, Louis the fly liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The method i used some 45 years ago was that i went and bought a dinghy for about the price weekly that i was spending on cigs, every time i weakened and thought of a cig, i went and looked at the dinghy, to remind me. So treat yourself to something of value, and try it. it worked for me. As a matter of fact for some years after packing up i would dream that i had started again, and wake up with huge relief that is was just a dream. i would never argue on the health front, when i was smoking i was about 11st, stopped smoking and now a big fat ba*****, KT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

louis please dont think im being a do gooder ......but i was a terrible smoker......coughed till isaw stars......got up for a pee during the night and had to have a ciggy ..............just think of this if you have gone one day without a cig ....you have got it beat cos now you no you can do one day ....youcan do another ...then the next.....then you will find one day it doesnt be the ist thing you think of when you wake up .......just do that mate......you will win

15. Thanks alf corbyn, Louis the fly thanked for this post
    Likes alf corbyn, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Arton View Post
    Louis
    Try one of those electronic cigarettes as an aid to your willpower. Go for the ones that have a liquid filler. You may look a bit daft but everyone I know who has used them, say they were a great help in assisting them to give up the cigarettes.
    Keep trying and good luck.
    rgds
    JA
    John, there are reports published which say that these can become addictive, in fact a lot of restaurants here in Devon (and I believe other parts of UK) have banned them because their smoke is annoying other diners. Not having been a smoker I can imagine it must be hell trying to give it up, so my sympathies are with those who try, good luck.

17. Likes alf corbyn, N/A, Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Louis make an appointment to see your GP and tell him/her that you want to pack up smoking. They will perscribe a course of tablets which have a 95% success rate in helping people to kick the habit. I packed up 5 years ago and never think about cigarettes now. I think the tablets are called Champix, or some such name like that, but your Doctor will know. Good luck with it.
    Regards
    John

19. Thanks Louis the fly thanked for this post
    Likes alf corbyn, N/A liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast