Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Medical Then/Now

leratty Guest

Default Re: Medical Then/Now

I would avoid the salt tablets but over dosed on the lime juice. Still love it to this day. As for pills, well so far so good none yet though was told a couple of years ago my blood pressure was high then told by another it was not quite within the level. I was against taking them anyway as told by the first Dr (same surgery) once I started could not go off them. Was not happy about that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    cappy takes 3 tablets a day ......wonder who takes most on the site and does anyone takenone
    31 for me +liquid morphine?jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This thread reminds me of the Port Line medicals during the early fifties, the Doc would take his time asking you to cough,
    he'd look into your eyes and say do you feel alright, Me, answer yes. can you see alright, Me, answer yes. can you hear alright,
    Me, answer yes, OK then you are alright, Passed.

Fred.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#12 JP you must really rattle. JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Take a couple of paracetamels for what has now become a rare hangover. And I attribute that to the fact that the old body has got well used to Ron Bacardi and lately Captain Morgan spiced. Apart from that nothing.
    Regards
    John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From the time of taken medicals every 2 years from the age of 15 to 50, and then every year from 50 to 60, have always had high Blood pressure. As soon as one hits 60 then all things seem to change, the shipping doctor out here, most people went elsewhere as he was considered too strict and seemed to be setting the standards for an astronaut. At 60 he suddenly considered my BP too high and wouldn't pass me as fit unless I got down. This meant taking tablets for the rest of my life to get it down to what is considered normal, even though it had never in my whole life been that. With reading glasses was the same in the uk in the 80"s, because I couldn't read the bottom line on the card which I don't think anyone can, he tried to fail me, and I sincerely think they had been told to fail people as they were on their way out, however I got glasses and read the bottom line, didn't do any good though as no jobs from the pool after this date. I have known people at sea with false legs and one eye. ( apart from one eyed and one legged Mary.. Cappy) and nothing said. To me the medicals were used to the shipowners advantage when he had no further use for British crews. John S.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #12 JP you must really rattle. JS
    john our family doctor thought I had moved from a young age because the first time I went again all my doctors had died off and the practice moved? so when I went in they had no record of me I was 55 now I am never away and they are good quacks I never moan about this and that your life can change in minutes without dying so I enjoy every minute of it when I think I have had enough there is more than enough in the cabinet to send me on my way with dignity I will never finish up with someone feeding me on a spoon?jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi shipmates, Hi john pruden, bad news my friend some of us may end up beening fed off a spoon, its a good thing? but others will be on a drip not so good at the end ... I could still pass a pool medical, if it was the same doctor....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Louis i remember the old quack in blue flu he was blind as a bat if he was writing he had his head about six inches away from the paper? never seen glasses as thick?jp

gray_marian Guest

#18.................,Louis, My hubby is an all or nothing type of guy. No nursing home for him! If he has to be spoon fed, I've to hit him on the head with a hammer!! Wee bit drastic I thought.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast