Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How was your sunday?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default How was your sunday?

Some 11 years ago whilst undergoing a routine Colonoscopy Iwas in formed I also had a small number of Diverticulitis in my colon. Over theensuing years they gave me no trouble and I tended to forget about them, untillast Sunday that was.

A pleasant morning we had taken a walk along the Altonaforeshore, some 7 kilometres with the intention of visiting the tall shipsberthed in Williamstown later that day. We were about half way back from thewalk when sudden bowel pains took me, the result of last nights Chines no doubtI considered. After a significant dump we continued on our way. Back to thevehicle and off to Williamstown. But on the way I had to return to the sametoilet, the pains were back. Another dump but as I arose I was overtaken by afit of feinting. Staggering outside I managed to get hold of the power pole forsupport. At this time I did not see him but Achmed was observing me. Istaggered back to the vehicle, climbed in and slumped across the wheel. Howlong I went from waking to unconsciousness I am not sure.

Never in my lifehave I passed out apart from that caused by an excess of Dr. Gordon’s elixir ormaybe Orangeboom, this was something new for me. During my life I haveexperienced many episodes of anxiety but this, apart from the first meetingwith my mother in law, was the scariest moment of my life. I had totally lostcontrol of my very being not knowing what was happening to me and at a pointwhere I did not know if I was on the way out or something worse.

I became aware that I had broken out in a sweat and openedthe door just in time to vomit on the shoe of Achmed.
    ‘You are in need of help my friend I am going to call you anambulance’. At that point he could have called me anything I was past caring.
    It was at this point that Terri became alarmed; as I hadleaned out of the cab she was able to see the mess. I was sitting in a pool ofblood and on the floor mat a pool of blood and crap. This had obviously passedwhilst I was out of it and never felt a thing.
    Achmed assisted me to the sidewalk and sat me on the naturestrip whilst Terri phoned my brother for further assistance.

The ambulance arrived in short time, Achmed keeping mecompany whilst I waited. He the explain to the ambos what he had observed. Iwas taken into the ambulance and laid on the bed. Question, more bloodyquestions, then off we go. Terri later told me any one seeing the area nowwould think maybe a murder had taken place, so much blood everywhere. Thedriver assured me I would be alright as his father was a gastro surgeon and hewas convinced I had a burst Diverticulitis.
    His assistant, a tall extremely good looking lady held myhand and comforted me whilst taking down further information.

Arriving at Footscray hospital I was taken into emergency,placed on a gurney and had all my clothes removed. Blood was evident over mostof my lower half and the nursing staff began the clean up whilst asking morequestions. The conclusion was that I had suffered a Diverticulitis rupture thatcaused the bleeding. They then began the process of repair; no less than fiveneedles were inserted into my veins for a variety of reasons. That along withother needles over the next 72 hours, I had more pricks than a UCL steward on agood Saturday night. I was then given a very quick litre of saline, in the dripin 40 minutes. I was to receive a further 3 over the next 16 hours along withhalf a litre of Plasma.
    Told to rest and sleep as much as I could, I would have doneso but being awoken every two hours for vital signs to be checked made it veryhard to do.

Up to a ward where I was put on free fluids, that is pleasedrink at least three litres of water per day for the next 48 hours. Dinner thatnight consisted of two glasses of fruit juice, a red jelly and some been soup.
    I concluded that iswhat it was as when I asked the nurse she told me it was bean soup. I know whatit has been but this was more like half an Oxo cube in warm water.

Breakfast was more juice and a Green jelly, lunch morejuice, more been soup with even less Oxo in it. Dinner more juice, more beensoup and a Yellow jelly. Had I known the colours of the jellies I would havekept them and played traffic lights, something to amuse me as the day wore on.
    Over the next 48 hours more doctors visited me than youcould poke a stick at, but by Tuesday morning I was allowed real food, no morejelly or been soup. It was by now evident that I may be allowed home Tuesdayafternoon after a bowel movement. Unlike many movement of Beethoven and othersthis would not be to music but was accompanied by wind chimes. But no fateagain played a hand, more blood evident though it was old blood.
    Eventually I was told Wednesday morning I could go homeafter lunch, a lunch without been soup I may add. In all the service I receivedwas first class and the real food very good which puts to bed the concept thathospitals are often not so good.

I now await the date for a further Colonoscopy to see whatdamage has been done, I am also waiting for a Hernia repair, result of myProstate operation back in March.
    With so much luck of this nature maybe it is time Ibought a Lotto ticket.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You sure have been through the mill John hope every thing works out for you and cut out the bean soup it makes you f +++t to much

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How was your sunday?

HI John.
    I only just sent Vernon a get well message for you, and here you are well already must be some Welsh magic in it. Glad they fixed you up ok, you must stop eating those diverticulitis try lobster instead much better than bean soup even.
    Anyway look after yourself mate.
    Cheers Des

redc.gif

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Louis Barron View Post
    You sure have been through the mill John hope every thing works out for you and cut out the bean soup it makes you f +++t to much
    Too right Lou, I have developed enough over the last few days to sail the Cutty Sark half way round the globe.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default get well soon

Hi shipmates, Hi happy john in oz, Hope you soon recover from your ordeal, not a nice way to spend a sunday !!!!

john sutton Guest

I had a colonoscopy many years ago in the days when I could afford the BUPA premiums.
    A nice young lady shoved a tube up my nether regions and looped the tube over some brackets.I felt compelled to ask her what she told her friends in the pub when they asked her what she had done that day.

Next she called in the consultant.A jolly soul with a beard.I,m lying there on my side facing the wall with a tube stuck up my arxe and he asked me if I was OK.
    The only answer I could give him was "I,m alright if your not Jeremy Beadle"
    john sutton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now you've been and gorn an dunnit. I've got the same diverwotsit in my chutney locker. I'll never wander to far from home again.
    Hope everything turns out alright John.
    R 627168 On all the Seas of all the World
    There passes to and fro
    Where the Ghostly Iceberg Travels
    Or the spicy trade winds blow
    A gaudy piece of bunting,a royal ruddy rag
    The blossom of the Ocean Lanes
    Great Britains Merchant Flag

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, mate very sorry to hear your story, and hope it all goes well for your recovery. Looking on the bright side you should now be OK your three prob's are up. All best wishes.
    George
    in Southampton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    If it wasnt for the Bad Luck you would have No Luck at all.
    Excellent account of your trauma tho`. Your Terrie must have also been in shock at the sight of you and all that blood.
    Hope it all goes OK from now on.
    After my episode in Honolulu they sent me two DVDs of my CT Scan and it shows that I too have some Diverticulitus,
    I can seen it quite plain on the Computer screen so I just wonder if and when that is going to happen to me.
    I have a 21 year old Swedish Nurse on stand by just in case.
    All the best mate
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keep your cheeks tight John and you will be ok.
    Best wishes mate.
    Graham R774640

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast