Thread: Coeliac Disease

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Coeliac Disease

Just been informed I have Coeliac disease, and have to go on a gluten free diet from now on.apparently, some breads, biscuits, flour etc can be got on prescription, but a lot of other things are a bit pricy! ready meals £1.50 at the supermarket, cost £4 or £5 delivered from a well known firm,so I have decided to have a short break, before starting this latest rigmarole, back on the 22nd from Tenerife, regards to all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hello Ron

Hello Ron
    Well hope that all goes well with your new Diet mate,and that things will improve with time!
    Just take it easy and enjoy your break in Tenerife,a lovely place to relax!
    Now dont come back all flower like haha!
    Cheers
    Doc

PS YOU DIDNT ASK IF YOU COULD GO awol!?? LOL!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ron mate, I know how it is to be suddenly faced with something you never expected. Just hang in there, remain positive and you will learn how to cope with it all. Good luck on this one.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good luck Ron. Have a good trip.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is Coeliac disease, from the NHS site. Not very pleasant.
    Good luck with it and enjoy your holiday Ron.
    All the best
    Brian.
    Coeliac disease is a common digestive condition where a person has an adverse reaction to gluten.

Eating foods containing gluten can trigger a range of symptoms, such as:

•diarrhoea – which may be particularly unpleasant smelling
    •bloating and flatulence (passing wind)
    •abdominal pain
    •weight loss
    •feeling tired all the time – as a result of malnutrition (not getting enough nutrients from food)
    •children not growing at the expected rate
    Symptoms can range from mild to severe.

What causes coeliac disease?
    Coeliac disease is what is known as an autoimmune condition. This is where the immune system – the body’s defence against infection – mistakenly attacks healthy tissue.

Coeliac disease isn't an allergy or an intolerance to gluten.

In cases of coeliac disease, the immune system mistakes substances found inside gluten as a threat to the body and attacks them.

This damages the surface of the small bowel (intestines), disrupting the body’s ability to absorb nutrients from food.

Exactly what causes the immune system to act in this way is still not entirely clear, although a combination of a person's genetic make-up and the environment appear to play a part.

Gluten
    Gluten is a protein found in three types of cereal:

•wheat
    •barley
    •rye
    Gluten is found in any food that contains the above cereals, including:

•pasta
    •cakes
    •breakfast cereals
    •most types of bread
    •certain types of sauces
    •some types of ready meals
    In addition, most beers are made from barley.

Treating coeliac disease
    There is no cure for coeliac disease, but switching to a gluten-free diet should help control symptoms and prevent long term consequences of the disease.

Even if symptoms are mild or non-existent it is still recommended to change your diet, as continuing to eat gluten can lead to serious complications
    It is important to make sure your gluten-free diet is healthy and balanced. An increase in the range of available gluten-free foods in recent years has made it possible to eat both a healthy and varied gluten-free diet.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ron, after reading the Captains NHS thread you have my sympathy, just make sure you eat the right foods, after taking

the foods you can't eat away, there dosen't seem a lot left to choose from, watch that diet. Fred.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Coeliac Disease

Ron, Enjoy your hols and forget about the problem you have until you return. Then, unfortunately you have to pay attention. For starters, this is Coeliac disease and NOT something a damned site worse so be grateful. I have had Coeliac disease for many, many years and have also had cancer. Fortunately, I came through the latter after a bit of a long haul. I am sending you my email address in a pm so if you should wish to receive some tips from someone who knows, then contact me when you return and I'll be happy to pass on what I know. Once you have got your head around the dos and donts, you will be fine and I guarantee you will begin to feel better than you have in a long time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Gluten

Just got back from Tenerife (Puerto de la Cruz) Ron and the weather is getting better, in P Cruz there are many shops selling Gluten free products, don't wait to start using them as they will benefit your condition, not using them could be detrimental, some bullets you have to bite. My son in law is on a gluten free diet and yes, they can be expensive, but being pain free can be a blessing. Enjoy your break.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Coeliac Disease

The advice to engage with Gluten Free products right away is very sound so if available, use it. When you return, I will attempt to explain the downside of neglecting this advice. It can make unpleasant reading but do NOT allow all this to intrude on your vacation. I'm still working almost everyday on ferries ( I first set foot on a ship in a working capacity in 1953) so "Chin up"!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ron,
    Like the lads have said it's not the end of the world. My biking buddy suffered terribly for years till he was diagnosed coeliac but when he went on the proper eating regime he is back to his old self.
    Enjoy your hol.
    Cheer
    Kevin