Thread: Trewidden

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool Trewidden

Anybody from the crew on here from January 1970 we did coastal Europe before heading to Madagascar, reunion ,Lorenzo marques,
    As skipper committed suicide in the straights of Madagascar we then went to Goa before heading home ,I was a 1st trip deck boy my knickname on there was Noggin given that name by Harry Cutbush

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Trewidden

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Brinn View Post
    Anybody from the crew on here from January 1970 we did coastal Europe before heading to Madagascar, reunion ,Lorenzo marques,
    As skipper committed suicide in the straights of Madagascar we then went to Goa before heading home ,I was a 1st trip deck boy my knickname on there was Noggin given that name by Harry Cutbush
    Do you know a guy named David Wood? I know he went to those places, just don’t know exactly when cause he talks a lot about his days on the ships. He was with the British Merchant Navy from 65-73. I’m looking for dad’s old shipmates cause he’s turning 70 and I have some bday surprises for yams would like to try and get in touch with old pals.

3. Thanks Doc Vernon, Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Brinn View Post
    She was a very good ship when i was on her in 67-68 for about 7 months, with good cabins, food and a great crew.
    Carrying supplies for Armed forces in Persian gulf [ lots of alcohol ] and only did about 7 ports with only 1 with a dock berth-the rest was boats to shore when we were allowed. Fantastic time despite drawbacks due to young and crazy crew.
    She was a nice ship for a first tripper.

5. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was an apprentice on an earlier "Trewidden" (Hain SS Co.) which I joined in Cardiff 21/08/1952 fresh out of sea school ("King Ted's"). We sailed in ballast to the US of A and did four consecutive trips loaded with coal for ports in Holland and Germany. We dry-docked in Bremerhaven for 24 hours which gave us the chance to go into town. I can recollect it being gloomier in the dark than in Britain - we must have knocked them about a bit. The Master was Capt L.J. White. I completed my apprenticeship with voyages on the "Treglisson" (3 trips), "Tremorvah" (2 trips), "Tregothnan" (2 trips). In Hains the 3 apprentices were worked like the sailors. We were attached to the Mates watch 4 to 8 where we steered and kept lookout. Breakfast 8/9 and then most days worked with the crew 9/12. However we did get overtime for this - 6 pence per hour. I still have the book recording my hours worked. Gerald Crease (R581527).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Graham, I think the Trevaylor which I was in around the same era was her sister ship, Those Hains boats where proper trampers all right and always a mixed crew you had to know your stuff to work the deck of one of them I got to some great ports aboard her around the Mexican Gulf and the Bahamas 7 knots at best but they where happy ships and in those days I used to look at the destination of deck cargo we loaded and some places I had visited some I hadn't very happy days indeed Terry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    {terry scouse}

8. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Graham Brinn

My name is David Stark, I joined the Hain Steamship company at their office in St Mary Axe london from the Lonon Nautical School in Waterloo in September 1960 as the Office boy. The Trewidden 5 came into the Royal Docks in London for the first time the same month and all office staff went to visit her. I only lasted in the office for a few weeks as I was told I would not kept on after my 3 month trial, no reason given. I then asked the marine superintendent, Captain Christopher, if I could have a deck officer apprenticeship at sea, which he granted. I joined the Trelawny at Ranks Mill Victoria dock after a couple of weeks. I spent 4 months on Trelawny doing the West Africa run. I was then transfered to Trevelyan joining her in Falmouth and did another 2 months to West Africa leaving her in Amsterdam. I was then transfered to Trewidden in Antwerp, when I got there I was told by the manager from London that I was going back to Trevelyan as senior apprentice with a first trip junior with me, she was then in Rotterdam. I was told that the trip was for a few weeks, Argentina and back with bulk grain cargo. However orders changed once loaded and we headed for Japan via Durban & Singapore. Once empty in Osaka we had no return cargo and spent time waiting for orders during which time we survived typhoon Nancy. We then went to South Australia for another bulk grain cargo destined for United Kingdom where the junior apprentice jumped ship. The trip that should have been 8 weeks to start with actually took 8 months docking in Hull. Typical tramp shipping. Needless to say I resigned on getting back and soon after Hain no longer existed a P&O decision.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello
    The name does sound very familiar
    And to do that trip we must have sailed together.
    So how can I help you?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes his name is familiar

11. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Crease View Post
    I was an apprentice on an earlier "Trewidden" (Hain SS Co.) which I joined in Cardiff 21/08/1952 fresh out of sea school ("King Ted's"). We sailed in ballast to the US of A and did four consecutive trips loaded with coal for ports in Holland and Germany. We dry-docked in Bremerhaven for 24 hours which gave us the chance to go into town. I can recollect it being gloomier in the dark than in Britain - we must have knocked them about a bit. The Master was Capt L.J. White. I completed my apprenticeship with voyages on the "Treglisson" (3 trips), "Tremorvah" (2 trips), "Tregothnan" (2 trips). In Hains the 3 apprentices were worked like the sailors. We were attached to the Mates watch 4 to 8 where we steered and kept lookout. Breakfast 8/9 and then most days worked with the crew 9/12. However we did get overtime for this - 6 pence per hour. I still have the book recording my hours worked. Gerald Crease (R581527).
    I was deck boy on the Treglisson did two trips on her, Ist 23 1 1954 next 20 3 1954. (R596804) about the same time as you. Terry.

13. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On a similar thread are there any 'survivors' of the Oriana's
    maiden voyage Dec 3-March 24 1960/61