Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hains of St. Ives

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hains of St. Ives

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    Finally got to the museum in St Ives today after 2 previous attempts , and to the Hains steamship room. Saw a photo of my old ship, she started life as Harpagus, and the front section was blown off by a mine in 1944 in the approaches to Arromanches, the stern section was towed to Southampton, and thence to the Tyne, a 190 ft section was bolted on and sold to Hains as the Treworlas. I joined the Treworlas in 1958 in the glorious rank of Peggy!. She was finally grounded on a reef in the Red Sea somewhere, and became a total loss in 1960. Quite a chequered career , kt
    ###proper ships keith ..regards cappy

2. Likes Keith Tindell liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Finally got to the museum in St Ives today after 2 previous attempts , and to the Hains steamship room. Saw a photo of my old ship, she started life as Harpagus, and the front section was blown off by a mine in 1944 in the approaches to Arromanches, the stern section was towed to Southampton, and thence to the Tyne, a 190 ft section was bolted on and sold to Hains as the Treworlas. I joined the Treworlas in 1958 in the glorious rank of Peggy!. She was finally grounded on a reef in the Red Sea somewhere, and became a total loss in 1960. Quite a chequered career , kt

Did you visit the Hain Line pub ?

Wetherspoons. Tregenna Place. St Ives.

Keith.
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 25th September 2017 at 10:47 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Keith, just got your message, no, did not visit the pub of which you speak, completely unaware. Which pub is that?, certainly seems another visit coming on, cheers kt

Keith at Tregenna Guest

The Hain Line

Tregenna Place
    St Ives

St Ives once had its very own shipping company called The Hain Line. From the 1850s, Captain Edward Hain, who was from a long line of local fishermen, built up a small fleet of sailing ships. The company later switched from sail to steam and expanded rapidly. During 1906–c1930, these premises were the Hain Shipping Office and then the Hain Estate Office. The building later became part of Curnow’s Hotel and then a nightclub, in 1978.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/a...n-line-st-ives

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that Keith, we have just had a bad meal in HelstonEnter, weather spoon, but a pint of beer at £2.25, would certainly look in on the one in St Ives, kt

Keith at Tregenna Guest

I tend not to eat at Wetherspoons, though the buildings they have taken over / use/ saved are usually unique. One in St. Albans was amazing, did eat at that one. Enjoyed it. Have used the crossing for years in and out of Wales and recently for a change went via the older bridge stopping at Chepstow. The Wetherspoons at Chepstow was a great stop over did eat and loved the local dishes, Cawl (Traditional soup) Faggots, rarebit etc. Locally, here I do pop in on occasions and burger and chips including a pint for a fiver is not bad when shopping.

Though I have not eaten at the Tower Hill branch, it is always packed with old friends for the MN service and a great meeting place.

K.

8. Likes Keith Tindell liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

As I said in a previous post, have just returned from a stay in Cornwall, and drove to St Ives, and caught the park and ride bus into town, found the museum building along the front, but unfortunately the museum is now closed, the notice says ,due to unforeseen problems, but they have workmen working on the building. No time scale given,but I will return and catch it open eventually. Kt

St Ives Museum

The Museum is located in the heart of the old St Ives fishing community of Downlong. Formerly the building housed a Pilchard Curing Cellar, Bible Christian Chapel then a laundry and cinema.

The British Sailors Society Mission occupied the first floor until 1968 when the St Ives Museum were offered space. Over the next few years the famous Troika Pottery vacated the ground floor enabling the museum to expand further. This independent museum is administered entirely by volunteers. 'I was advised by a very learned elderly friend of mine that this museums is one of the top three he has ever visited in his life. He was not wrong! Thank you' 'A must see treasure trove for every St Ives visitor'.

St Ives Museum
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 27th September 2017 at 11:20 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hain S.S. Co. T shirts & Polo shirts .

Who wants one ?

I cannot download the photos here, for some reason; so please E mail me for photos laurie.ridyard@googlemail.com

Laurie.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

####jeez laurieyour stating to sound like george robey ......give them to charity man lol cappy
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie Ridyard View Post

Who wants one ?

I cannot download the photos here, for some reason; so please E mail me for photos laurie.ridyard@googlemail.com

Laurie.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie Ridyard View Post

Who wants one ?

Laurie.

Thanks Laurie,

I will e.mail you, then can possibly add the pics here for you.

I would imagine a fair few with Hain links will be interested.

Keith.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast