Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: trecarne

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default treneglos

hi Hank, yes i've defenitly got my dates right i've just checked my discharge book and its sounds like you were on the boat the trip before me, i signed on in liverpool but i think the rest of the crew had joined her in Bristol,none of the names you mentioned ring a bell,but i remember the bosun looked a bit like Les Dawson,

2. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 4john boys

Hi john, good to hear from you, Yes John Carmichael, the 3rd Officer told me about that trip, ran out of stores twice, 5 weeks in Yokohama (that can't be bad M8) and finally loaded iron ore for Glasgow. I can just imagine the scene now in 'Betty's Bar'. Sorry I didn't sign back on in Hamburg. Love to do it all again tomorrow. Take care M8...... ....JdLp

4. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi I sailed on her about that time as deck apprentice. Regards Ian Roberts

6. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi I sailed as apprentice in the Trelawney,she was built in 1949 two hatches forward,two aft and one on the boat deck,powered by a four cylinder doxford. A great ship fond memories. Regards Ian Roberts

8. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Part of time at sea

Hi Glenn i did 7 months on the Trecarne in 1961 as deck boy,my second trip & one of
    my best trips ever they were really good days, we spent four weeks in Yokahama and from there after being at sea for four months we got word to say that we were to go straight to Newcastle thinking they meant the U.K. but it was Aussie instead which was really good news. I stayed at sea in different until I ended up doing 26 years on the containers OCL later taken over by P & O.
    I finished up as boson and we were all made redundant with the fillipinoes taking over in 1999. I then took early retirement at 59 and retired to Spain and never looked back.
    If I had my life over I would do it all over again no regrets at all. Cheers Pete (Wheatley)

10. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

G'day Pete and welcome to the site. If you care to list all your ships with some dates you may well hear from some who knew you. So sit back withn a cold one and enjoy the voyage.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Joined the Trevanion in Cardiff on the 9th of April 1952 as a deck boy straight out of the Vindi out to Panama and on up to Vancouver one week on and 2 off as peggy the rest of the time cleaning holds and erecting shifting boards and feeder boxes a good crew although we had one old Norwegian who when we arrived in Vancouver was flaked on a mooring rope having made his own hooch tried, but was horrible but he was a good teacher to us deck boys a great trip would do it all again
    Don

14. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool trevaylor

Just browsing through and like everybody brings back memorys. Joined the Trevaylor in Leith 59 think if memory serves me right she had just come back from Durban maiden voyage. Full cargo of maize 6 weeks in Leith discharging,full Leith crowd on deck and eng/Rm except 1 at that time a junior ordinary eng/rm boy?
    Anyway we had a Ben Line charter out to Christmas island,loaded about 1000 tons naffi stores in KG5 then out through Panama. Spent whole day or two measuring ship as never been through before. Then out to Christmas island,10 weeks at buoys. Seemingly they had just finished last test of H Bombs before we arrived,we loaded all equipment they didnt need. Also when we sailed had 2 guys to look after transport that was loaded + the 1st dog ever brought off island. The only guy i mind on deck was old bosun cockney little bloke good guy. All Abs were from Leith as were down below crowd, 3 cadets 1 was in love with 2/3 birds, writing to them before sailing from london,managed to get addresses mixed up. The answers he received in Panama were good. Regards Jim R666795

16. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Alex

I was on the Trewidden in 1970 sailing through the French Polynesia. Do you know of any shipmates on this voyage?
    Dave

18. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Great Tre Boats

Nice to read all your messagers about your trips on Hains boats. My trips are-
    Treglisson 23 Jan 54 - 7 March 54 Deck Boy
    Treloske 1 April 54 - 14 July 54 Deck Boy
    Trevose 6 August - 18 October54 Deck Boy
    Trevose 27 October - 7 April55 Jos
    Trewidden 24 Jan 56 - (paid off early got some steel in my eye) 4 Feb 56 SOS
    Tregenna 16 March56 - 5 August 56 SOS
    Great days wish we could do it again. Mick Spencer Nottingham

20. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast