Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: The jobs we did before and after our Sea life .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The jobs we did before and after our Sea life .

James 125, I finished in the fire service at 54, after 30 years service, one year later i would not have had a choice, compulsory retirement was 55 yers old, i believe since i retired the rules have changed however.
    R689823

2. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

125, What you are displaying James is ,envy, pretty destructive trait, surely you had the chance to join the police, fire, ambulance, etc??, but you chose to go down the career path that you did, another interesting word, choices, life plays itself out, and we end up where we are, but i don't envy anyone, i am very happy with my life as it is, just got to hope that it all hangs together a bit longer, lol
    R689823

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#132 I was told that the senior officers in the big tanker company’s retired at 55 , when I was with Whitco Marine on one it the Temple Boats one of , one of their sister ships had the ex master of the Queen Mary sailing as second mate , he too retired in his early 50s but got fed up and went back to sea for something to do. Depends what you want . No two people have the same aspirations in life. I reached 65 which was always my target and lucky to make it . Doubt anyone going to sea today will be so fortunate . Certainly not in the British Merchant Navy , even I couldn’t do that . JS ...
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 30th November 2022 at 11:17 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a few years at sea, but when it came to settling down I found it very hard. I got married, had a son, but just couldn't settle in any jobs but seagoing. My friend was a skipper on a coaster, and asked me to join him with a view to becoming mate next time he came home, which was every week nearly. I was over the moon about it, getting home so often was going to solve it all.
    My dad begged me to work with him at Ford, but I just couldn't.
    My skipper mate got stabbed and was out of it for a few weeks, so my dad said he'd do everything he could about getting me a decent job at Ford and came up with an idea, begging me to take it. I said I would take it for one month, then I'd be off to sea.
    The money was huge, and I was offered a job on the transport, which was probably the best transport job in Europe, driving all over the place, usually home every night, with the odd week away to France and wherever else a Ford plant was situated. Of course my dad got me in through the back door, and there was a big stink about it. But, all went well and I spent 36 years at it, a great pension at the end with an enormous pay off to boot.
    My dad got me out of a big hole for which I'm eternally grateful.
    Strange how one awful thing can happen, to make something else wonderful happen.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#132 Keith , perhaps a bit of envy. Never bothered my backside about a private pension fund just built up a property portfolio over the years. Did not see the need to pay some assurance pension fund managers a commission for doing something I was well capable of doing myself.
    I am more than happy with my lot.
    Concerning the fire service doing a few fire fighting courses over the years was enough for me. Good on you for getting your ears singed , not for me. Must admit though never met a firemen that was not a good snooker player or a good window cleaner either.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Tindell, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#134 I once sailed with an ex Thames bargee. He served his time as the boy , the only other member of the crew was the skipper. He was a very good seaman . Does anyone know if there are any of the old type of Thames sailing barges being worked as a commercial enterprise today ? Or have they all finished up as museum pieces. JS
    When one considers the variety and the types of vessels today the learning curve will always be there . Years ago things were much simpler . However I would say there were huge differences in trade and types of dfferences between passenger and cargo vessels The only thing they had in common was the same or similar in the carriage of cotton and passengers was that they had similar spontaneous combustion levels. The stowage of cotton was entirely different to passengers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 1st December 2022 at 02:20 AM.
    R575129

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 1st December 2022 at 05:24 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

12. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like #134 I to found it very hard to settle to life ashore.
    Took work with an agency for a while, it helped as I was sent all over the country with them.
    Did eventually get permanent work after about 3 years then met my wife.

Retired at 62 because I could but have worked three days a week ever since, over 18 years, as a volunteer at the local community health center and Men's Shed.
    So do we ever give up work of some form?

But can you stay home with your wife 24/7, you need your own time just as she doers.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes James Curry, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

135, James, yea, know what you mean, i did not build a property portfolio in my time at work, but did manage a very nice yacht, via window cleaning, but windows did not pay as much as HGV,, lol
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fantastic career, I started out as Fitter and Turner Vic Rail then Commonwealth Engine works, then Shaw Savil UK, returned to Aus, Ingersoll Rand Field serviceman, back to maritime college Tas and ASP Ship management As Engineer on Coastal/International shipping now retired 😁

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast