Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The jobs we did before and after our Sea life .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The jobs we did before and after our Sea life .

#119 The minimum wage is just that,the minimum you can be paid for an hour or day, throw in minimum sick pay,holiday pay and it equates to not enough to live on. As the majority of hospitality work is casual by nature and seasonal , it is a difficult industry to work in if you have to support a family. That is especially true if living in the U.K.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John don't get me wrong ref the minimum wage, Some people these days are doing 3 different jobs a week just to make ends meet. Ask yourself this though NHS workers and other public sector workers are wanting an above inflation pay rises in certain parts of the country
    Simple fact is the country cannot afford these increases. As for the train drivers they are a joke, Shame the RMT never gave the P&O workers the same backing they are giving the rail unions.
    Concerning nurses pay, when we joined the MN we started at the bottom and worked our way up. Nurses can do the same. Another thing about nurses they now have to go to University and gain a degree if they wish to be an RN.

The typical NHS Registered Nurse salary is £29,548 per year. Registered Nurse salaries at NHS can range from £19,997 - £363,420 per year. This estimate is based upon 814 NHS Registered Nurse salary report (s) provided by employees or estimated based upon statistical methods.
    I know medicine has moved on a lot over the years and all NHS workers deserve more , but how many people in the private sector have company pension schemes?
    Was it not always the case that those in the public sectors accepted lower pay scales but had a decent pension at the end of the day . Police , Firefighters not many had to work until 65 to pickup a good pension.

How many here when they were born had a specilised midwife? My entry into the world was by Mrs Flemming who lived next door. She was the woman in our area was the first to slap many an ar-se.

Dining out the leat expensive thing on the Bill is the food and drinks.
    Last edited by James Curry; 29th November 2022 at 05:37 PM.

4. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Again James i would suggest that those in the private sector were to put in to their pension pot at the same rate as a lot in the public service, they would also have a nice pension, you mention firefighters , who i can equate to, firefighters today pay 17% of their salary toward their pension, yes, thats right 17%, so does not come as a nice present after 30 years service, and one that means via medicals that you are on an annual contract.
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think if you asked the average railwayman, he would tell you that the main issues are conditions. The bosses want them changed to the detriment of all railwaymen. It affects every aspect of their employment, from hours worked, to pensions. Take all those demands from the bosses away and they would settle sooner, the pay thing is just a part of it.

7. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#123 Keith, at least the Fire service have an employers pension fund they can contribute to a lot in the private sector do not have an employers scheme.
    At the age of 40 if I invest £50k my pension fund will be £140k if It year on year it achieves 5%
    My nephew has just retired after 30 years in the NHS his pension fund/pot is £1.2 million okay he made cosultant but is 57 years old.
    Yes I am jealous.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#124 I was listening to the news yesterday and Kay Burley was talking to one of the rail network bosses cannot remember his name she was asking why the railways cannot operate a reliable Sunday service. The answer was they cannot force a driver to work on Sundays it is up to the individual drivers to inform their mangers if they will be available to work Sunday shifts. I assume Drivers and other rail staff get rest days during the week and operate to a shift rota. If so why can they not operate a reliable service on a Sunday.

How many half days a week or rest days did we get at sea few and far between.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Russ Irving. Apprentice Electrician with NorthWest Electricity Board (Norweb) 1966-1970
    Electrician Norweb.
    Electrical engineer officer 1971-1972 SugarLine Ltd.
    Electrical engineer officer 1973-1983 P&O General Cargo Division.
    Electrical Service Engineer 1983-1987 Sparrows Offshore Services.Based at Sellafield.
    Electrician BNFL Sellafield 1987-2009.
    Busily retired, Catching up and not looking back!!! My seafaring days were the best move
    I made,saw the last of the good years and alas the begining of the great decline .
    I guess I swallowed the Anchor and happily got out just at the right time.The up and
    coming people don't believe it and will never know .Cest la vie !
    Best regards and good luck to everyone !!!

11. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#127 Don’t forget Russell your now back to earth on 50 cycles , and they’re not bikes .enjoy your retirement and make the most of it whilst still can
    Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Russell
    Welcome, enjoy the stories on here about the past and ignore the present and you will enjoy yourself, not quiet as good as when you where at sea but close, some good yarns to be found on site. Vernon sometimes revives them for our perusal.
    Cheers Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Minimum wages here in Oz are strictly controlled by the Fair Work Body, a semi gov one that sets rate of pay.
    We have an Award Rate system, that means all industries have a set mim wage that must be paid.
    It also includes rights to sick and holiday pay, rates for penalty's such as over time and when you work.
    In may work Sunday or public holiday and be paid at 2.5 the regular rate.

One problem for industries such as aged care, where pay rates are at the lower end, any increase in wages will be passed on to those in care.

The big unions such as the CFMMEU have the power to retain massive pay rises, most of which is passed on, higher wages adds to inflation in many instances.

However the ones that we need the most such as nurses are very poorly paid for the work they do.

Hospitality is low on workers and will remain so here until next March when the overseas uni students return.
    Thye fill many of the casual positions in the industry.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast