Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Remeber when

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Remeber when

That orange juice was something I forgot. We would be sent to a local kind of wooden chapel, to get some bottles of it every week. I'm sure it was free coz I don't remember paying for it, maybe the cod liver oil was free too?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Mum got the Cod Liver Oil tablets and a bottle of orange juice concentrate.
    There was very little in the way of breakfast cereals like today, bread and milk for breakfast.
    Drink the cabbage water after boiling the guts out of it.
    In the winter porridge every morning, and toast cooked over an open fire.
    Chestnuts cooked the same way and sausages then tasted like sausages with mashed spuds and gravy.

But now every year a full blood examination along with full medical exam.
    Told when in hospital end of last year I was extremely fit and healthy with arteries inn pristine condition.
    Not bad for some one who abused his body, as most of us did , at sea with drink, women and too much drink.
    John, try making your own sausage; I been making my own for a few months now and after a little experimenting have the right recipe for me.
    So I buy mainly steak mince and the other ingredients are relatively cheap. I make Lorne style sausage in a conventional bread loaf tin and just slice it as required then freeze a batch so I can use as needed. Very tasty, one drawback, the family likes it also, so my stock does not last long

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#14 what do you expect Syrup of figs. cod liver oil was free. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi johnny kieran #21
    good morning, the orange juice as far as im concerned was sublime and was never matched by any other soft drink i ever drank since,
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am 75 years old, so I am just outside the 1%. However, being born in 1949, I have memories of everything spoken about here. I consider myself part of the golden generation not only because I grew up in the 1950s and 60s but also because, at the age of 21, I stepped off a plane at 04:00 on a tropical morning at Bombay Santa Cruise airport to join my first ship as a Junior Engineer with the British India Steam Navigation Company. So I got the experience before everything changed due to the advent of containerships, bulk carriers and supertankers. At the risk of being accused of self-promotion, I have written a book on each subject. Broken Hill is about growing up in the 50s and 60s post-war UK. Ocean Tramp is self-explanatory. If anyone is interested in reading them, I will send a complimentary copy of each book to the first person who replies with a delivery address. Otherwise, they are both available on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CPQ7H9..._sft_tkin_tkin. It would be good to get some critical feedback.

6. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#24 Especially with a drop of Gin in it ? JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i was born in southampton in a old house near the docks on january 10th 1938.we had a morrison shelter in the middle room where we would crawl in during an air on the docks.bombed dumps were my playground.at the age of 16 years i went to sea as a deck boy in the merchant navy.i did 15 years at sea then i got married and came ashore.i have worked all my life,got no regrets,still alive and kicking.
    R614684

9. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We called them an Anderson Shelter Michael, half buried in the garden and covered with my grandfathers tomato plants are one of us getting mixed up with the names , or were there 2 geniuses . Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    We called them an Anderson Shelter Michael, half buried in the garden and covered with my grandfathers tomato plants are one of us getting mixed up with the names , or were there 2 geniuses . Cheers JS
    The Morrison shelter was an in house shelter usually for people with no front or back garden.
    You are correct about the Anderson shelter, half underground with half above, some folks really fancied them up with plants.
    Our shelter was a brick and concrete one built in the back-yard, no garden.

12. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes my wife and I are both 1%ers, me 91 and my wife almost 90, last week we celebrated our 70th wedding anniversary, reared 5 kids, have 23 grandchildren and 36 great grandchildren.
    I remember the taste of toast done on an open fire and beef dripping with salt and pepper.
    Left school November 1949 just under 14 years of age, by the time I went to the "Vindi " in July 1949, I had, had 4 jobs, first one an errand boy for 2 grocery shops, had a bike with small front wheel and a dirty big basket in front, the two shops were at either end of the town almost, and the main street is a one in ten rise and fall, so going down hill with full basket I had to make sure all my all my 8 stone or so was on the saddle.Memories of Granville of "ONLY FOOLS & HORSES"
    Yes we are the 1%ers, we even played football with our gas mask tins, no game boy or such.
    We walked to school all 4 miles of it both ways, AH them were the days.
    Fred Saunders
    R518224

14. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast