Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Remeber when

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Remeber when

hi tony #7
    good morning, I believe your attitude is absolute, I went for my annual medical last week due to my being diabetic my blood sugars where 4.7 my cholesterol levels where 4.8, the nurse once again asked me if i wanted to take the statins, i told her no thanks as my diet now included full fat milk and cheese,and i believe that cholesterol is not the demon that we where enforced to believe it was, she never spoke but she did nod her head in reference to my statement, and then agreed that i was in good health,
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Perhaps we were lucky that all that fatty cooking changed during our younger, or mid life days? Food certainly tasted better before the fancy oils came about. In our local chippy as kids, they always had big bottles of oil on the side for cooking, but mum always had a pan full of lard, or whatever it was called for cooking.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No question that I remember being evacuated to Askrigg, Yorkshire in September 1939 but what I'm not sure of is that a spoonful dose of Cod Liver Oil was given at school, like it or not.
    Does any other 1%.er recall been given a mandatory dose of Cod Liver Oil?
    I would have killed to get an E coupon entitling me to have 2oz of sweets. Sucking on Zubes and chewing on Licorice Root was the alternative.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do remember the cod liver oil, all lining up, disgusting taste.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember when offered a sweet (candy) I was given a spoonfull of cod liver oil and malt. I had to carry a gas mask that sort of looked like Donald Duck, in shocking colors and floppy long ears. And occasionally a truck was parked in my school's playground and we had to put on our mask climb in the enclosed back, about a dozen at a time, and all sing a song. I assume the truck filled up with some sort of stuff that would not endanger the kids but checked out that the masks seals worked. Then out of the truck, mask back in its case and a run around the playground borders.

I too was evacuated to Yorkshire to Horbury (sp?), near Lupset (sp.) which was near Wakefield in 1942. I remember the Yorkshire kids all laughed at my London accent and when I returned to London at the end of the war all the kids laughed at my Yorkshire accent.

Everbody new I meet or just exchange a greeting with here in Oklakoma ask me where I come from. So yesterday when it happened, I said, pausing between each one, "South Carolina, Connecticut, New Jersey, California, Ontario, Canada, Queensland, Australia, Essex, Yorkshire and London in England". This was even happened every time I went to England on business or pleasure the first words I got was "Where do you come from?"

At times I feel like a citizen of Nowhereland. Yesterday the female cashier at the supermarket said "Where do you come from?" I just said South Carolina " and left it at that.

Cheers, Rodney
    Last edited by Rodney Mills; 8th March 2024 at 08:17 PM.
    Rodney David Richard Mills
    R602188 Gravesend

6. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oops! i forgot this part. my mates and I got a job after school all sitting around a long table with a heap of bits of sweet coupons and our job was to sort them into piles of coupons by month. Londoners day tripping to Southend on Sea for the day would use the coupons to by sticks of Southend on Sea sticks of "Rock". We got paid sixpence an hour. And had to turn our pockets out before we left to show we hadn't pinched any coupons.... Except we would stick a handful down our pants into our underpants and sell them to our neighbors. When I left school and had to quit that evening job and go to work for real, I took a cut in pay.

Cheers again, Rodney
    Rodney David Richard Mills
    R602188 Gravesend

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Kieran View Post
    I do remember the cod liver oil, all lining up, disgusting taste.
    Well Johnny, our mother believed in healthy remedies but it was Halibut Orange capsules she dished out, I once made the mistake of biting one it was horrible.
    Our father used to relate every Saturday night their mother gave them brimstone & treacle to keep them regular as they used to call it.
    I found this postcard in ebay and could not resist buying it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Bill.
    When our kids were growing up in NZ my wife gave them a Halibut Orange oil tablet everyday, they loved them called them their Orange booglies their weird name for sweets.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

10. Thanks Bill Morrison thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mum got the Cod Liver Oil tablets and a bottle of orange juice concentrate.
    There was very little in the way of breakfast cereals like today, bread and milk for breakfast.
    Drink the cabbage water after boiling the guts out of it.
    In the winter porridge every morning, and toast cooked over an open fire.
    Chestnuts cooked the same way and sausages then tasted like sausages with mashed spuds and gravy.

But now every year a full blood examination along with full medical exam.
    Told when in hospital end of last year I was extremely fit and healthy with arteries inn pristine condition.
    Not bad for some one who abused his body, as most of us did , at sea with drink, women and too much drink.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You have missed out one , everlasting piece of magic, of our young lives.
    The steam locomotive.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast