Thread: What tip

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default What tip

To tip or not to tip, that is the question,
    Whether tis nobler to suffer the outrage of a winger you did not tip, or by using arms keep it in your wallet.

Today a radio poll was conducted asking if you tip any services.
    The result 98% NO
    Here in Oz tipping is not something we do, in Japan it is considered an insult.
    Heard that in USA the habit is slowly declining.

Last year in many parts of Europe I noticed a 12.5% service charge in restaurants and bars, some even 15%.
    In a pub not far from our hotel in Kensington gardens, on the counter a machine with tip or No buttons.
    Quite a few of us from Oz in there, the NO button was well used.

On most cruise ships unless gratuities are included in the fare a daily charge of up to $15 US per person per day.
    But like Kong I sign a waiver and refuse to pay. No worries mate

What now is the general situation in UK, do you tip any one or not.

If now asked for a tip from any service I tell them.

'You want a tip mate, well here is one, Blue Boy in the 2.30 at Ascot today'
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What tip

I always sign a waiver, bit will tip if the service is very good. The cabin staff have been cut quite a bit this last few years, so the service is down anyway. I've been thinking about going on one of those cargo ship cruises to give it a whirl, but the Mrs ain't too keen.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In restaurants I always tip good service. Biggest insult you can give is leave 5p on the table, they get the message.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I was on cargo boats or tankers I used to tip my mate to stop snoring, that is tip a bucket of water over him LoL.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

James, I am surprised you can afford that much.

But on a cruise I sign a waiver, then if my winger and BR give good service we bung them a wedge at the end of the voyage.
    Have come across some crew from previous cruises we have treated this way and they always look after us.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Likes thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My Mother was a Waitress for many years of her working life in various Restaurants in Glasgow, she always said never “stiff” a Waiter or Waitress as the Tax Man estimates the amount of tips they receive and Tax accordingly.
    I always tip waiting staff ,Unless the service is very poor . I always Tip in cash as if added to the Bill and paid by Card the staff never see a penny in many establishments. As a society we are more and more required to tip (or Bribe ) to receive any good service i.e. pay in cash for trade services etc thus avoiding VAT , GST or even general tax on income.
    I also tend to tip my Barber for some reason ! I am beginning to question that practice as the price of a Haircut has doubled since Covid. I will soon have to get my Wife to retrieve the Baking bowl out the cupboard.
    Doug

- - - Updated - - -

A Canadian tip for poor service , “don’t eat Yellow Snow”
    Doug

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hardie View Post
    Waiter or Waitress as the Tax Man estimates the amount of tips they receive and Tax accordingly.

Doug
    When with Jebsens we had a few stewardesses and they had to argue with the taxman that on bulk cargo ships there were no tips as there were no passengers and everyone worked.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

About 20 years ago, my wife's sister and her husband was guests of some friends on the West Coast of the U.S.A, the husband of the U.S couple had spent a long holiday in Australia, and had caught our no tipping bug, anyway the four of them went to a restaurant as guests of the Yanks, and they left without leaving a tip, my brother-in-law was very embarrassed, because the waiter chased the four of them asking for his tip. Apparently tips made up a large part of the fellows earnings.
    In 2013, on a visit to the old dart, my wife and I were taken to dinner at a very well known London restaurant, and on leaving our son, who was also a guest of our friends asked me if I had a pound coin, me, why? to tip the doorman,so as not to cause any problems, I handed over the pound.
    Fred saunders
    R518224

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was with a Ch/Eng who always when asked for a tip said “ always heat the pot before making the tea” you should have seen the face on some cab drivers face in the US and what they added after the word limey!

11. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post