Thread: The glorious fourth of July

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The glorious fourth of July

62 years ago I emigrated from Canada into the USA. *We applied and received our documentation at the US consulate in Winnepeg. *The consulate officer when he approved our application told us to raise our hand and repeated after him "The pledge of Allegiance". I was holding my five-month-old son, and I raised his hand too, holding him and his little arm gently up in the crook of my left arm. My first wife and I repeated the pledge after him.

On connecting to a US train in Minneapolis to Los Angeles, The US immigration checked passengers i.ds. When they saw we were entering the USA as immigrants they made a real fuss of us, welcoming us and wishing us all the best in our new home.

I have received nothing but kindness and quite frankly tired of having someone say I just love your accent. Considering I have lived here longer than their grandparents. *However, it is meant kindly, as the Yanks have a love affair with G.B. and the British

Tomorrow is our national holiday the evening air will be permeated with smoke from millions of BBQs and the oder of sizzling hamburgers and hotdogs, and roasting corn -on-the-cob, followed by many scoops of ice-cream, all washed down by ample beer.

Comes dark, it won't be "The rocket's red glare. the bombs bursting in air...gave proof through that our flag was still there,,," it will be millions of dollars' worth of fireworks celebrating the glorious fourth.

Y'all could wander down to Macdonald's and join us in the celebration, after all it was Brit colonial citizens fighting a Hessian King and his Hessian army of occupation and I believe every time*the Brits fought the German army, the Brits won...The Saxons don't count.

So, a happy fourth to everyone.

Cheers, Rodney (a yankee doodle-dandy)
    Rodney David Richard Mills
    R602188 Gravesend

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The glorious fourth of July

And as an off Rodney my dear Father in Law will have turned 101 on the 4th July as well! Sorry off Topic!!

Like you though also with 2 Young Kids in 1981 took the oath of allegiance here in Australia, and not looked back at all! But of course i do still miss and love my Home Country! Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My sister in law turns 80 on the 4th.

Rodders, enjoy the day, at least you celebrate with vigor and mad antics.

Our similar, January 26 Australia day is a great day for most, apart that is from the drongos who claim the country was stolen from them.
    Most of them are not genuine Aboriginals, only 821,600 of them, the rest are just 'box tickers'.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Likes Doc Vernon, Rodney Mills liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hope you enjoyed the day Rodney, no dounbt the Irish Americans will fill there boots. Any truth in the rumour that Sitting Bull had an Irish grandpa?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking about Indians in the US. My dad showed me a piece in the local paper from his home town in Ireland about 50 years back. It was an article about a man from that town, that was "massacred by savages" a hundred years previously. He was in the US army, and I believe a relative of my Irish Grandfather. The whole article was copied from the local paper and called "A hundred years ago today" I wonder what happened to that paper? I'm sure he would have kept it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

July 4th 1766, so in three years it will be 250 years since the Poms were kicked out.
    Obviously not popular then, preferred the French in some quarters.
    Now all yanks look for Irish heritage but the Poms from what I hear are now welcome.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes Rodney Mills liked this post