Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Driving school

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Driving school

On my way home today there is a section of road that goes from two to one lane with a sign saying merge.
    I was on the outside lane with one car in front, on the inside lane one car.
    As I was about half way along the merge line the car behind attempted to pass me forcing me to the middle of the road.
    With cars coming towards me I had to do a sudden stop and heard a noise behind me, thought the car behind had hit me.
    Stop, get out to look, no damage may have been something in the trunk moved and made the noise.

Look up and there is the driver of the other car shouting at me, it is a Driving School car with the name emblazoned on the side.

I told the driver. 'the law says you give way to vehicles on your right.'
    'Get F he cried, that F law does not work, now F off you stupid C.' read the F road rules

'Sorry mate maybe you should read them'

F off you stupid C, get the F off the road'

He then began to stand up, though he was going to get out of the car, so gently pushed it closed.

"I can have you for F assault you C, get the F off.
    I then drove off and when home phoned the driving school.

The guy I spoke to was not exactly bothered by his tone, said he would speak with the driver and phone me back, never did.

I then phoned the local Police station ad explained it all.

'We will go to speak with the Driving School, no way should such drivers be teaching pupils to drive'
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Marian Gray Guest

Default Re: Driving school

John, I stand to be corrected I'm sure as it's been 45yrs since I sat my test but when I see a merge coming up I veer to the left asap. If I don't know the road and it happens I always indicate and thank when let in. If a driver is entering a road he has to wait before he can merge with those on the right.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#2 Marian when I came out here in 1991 there were no roundabouts in WA .when they did arrive a few years later people were going round them the wrong way and all sorts. While in the UK I never held a full licence as was always failed on some minor point. Arriving in Australia I had to get a licence pronto due to joining and leaving ships in some outpost of the once Empire and finding my way by hire car to civilisation . I took 3 lessons on an automatic car with a one legged instructor , went to the police and was examined by a police officer whose words on completion of the test was She’ll be right mate . That served me for the next 31 years. Don’t think that Australian drivers are top of the pops . They usually get to be better by trial and error. Cheers JS
    There was one time in the uk think it was 1957 when a bunch of us young seafarers were up at nautical school , one of the students father died and left him a Ford prefect , that little car about 8 of us used to cram in and we were on L plates , it was a time of a crisis due to the suez or something and the government lifted the rules of having to have a licenced driver with a learner , we made use of as no one held a licence apart from a learners one, and we all took turns , any bad habits I learned was in the uk , and was my story if ever managed to get picked up for speeding in Australia. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 20th June 2023 at 10:16 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The rules entering.

Here is a step-by-step guide:

When first entering the slip road, you should build your speed up to match the main carriageway
    You should apply the MSM routine to inform other road users of your intentions
    You should apply the PSL routine to check your road position, speed and observations on the approach
    You should assess the traffic flow in the left-hand lane of the carriageway/motorway

Now all I have to do is find out what the MSM & PSL mean? Soinds dodgy to me

Driving here now is like the SAS moto, Who Dares Wins.

Than God we have these smart motorways now in the UK , who was the clown that came up with that concept

6. Likes Tony Martin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

James, as my 17 year old granddaughter has just passed her test I have quizzed her for the meaning.
    MSM stands for mirror signal manoeuvre
    PSL stands for position speed look
    Regards Michael

8. Thanks James Curry thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Martin, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Probably like most of us never picked up a highway code since I passed my test in 1966.
    I used to enjoy driving and have done a far amount of driving in Europe. Italians & French drivers have to be the worst in western europe.

10. Likes Michael Black, Tony Martin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have to agree about French drivers, can't comment on the Italian ones as never been, drove a lot in the states on holidays there.
    There are some idiots on the road in this country though, like you, I've never seen the highway code after passing the test.
    Regards Michael

12. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I live in France on occasion , I used to have a french registered car they were not to bad, not great but not bad. You have a British registered car and they view it as a challange to get past you. That and tailgating

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Regards the french and driving one thing they could teach us Brits is how to drive on a motorway. Not often do you see them middle lane hogging. They indicate make the pass and indicate back into the inside lane again. How many times have we seen some ass sitting in the middle lane here for miles.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #2 Marian when I came out here in 1991 there were no roundabouts in WA .when they did arrive a few years later people were going round them the wrong way and all sorts. While in the UK I never held a full licence as was always failed on some minor point. Arriving in Australia I had to get a licence pronto due to joining and leaving ships in some outpost of the once Empire and finding my way by hire car to civilisation . I took 3 lessons on an automatic car with a one legged instructor , went to the police and was examined by a police officer whose words on completion of the test was She’ll be right mate . That served me for the next 31 years. Don’t think that Australian drivers are top of the pops . They usually get to be better by trial and error. Cheers JS
    There was one time in the uk think it was 1957 when a bunch of us young seafarers were up at nautical school , one of the students father died and left him a Ford prefect , that little car about 8 of us used to cram in and we were on L plates , it was a time of a crisis due to the suez or something and the government lifted the rules of having to have a licenced driver with a learner , we made use of as no one held a licence apart from a learners one, and we all took turns , any bad habits I learned was in the uk , and was my story if ever managed to get picked up for speeding in Australia. Cheers JS
    Your right about L drivers not requiring a qualified driver with them during the Suez crisis. My granduncle had many failures before but was allowed to drive his self during the crisis. The result was after thing returned to normal they had to pass him.
    Bill.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast