Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: May be of interest.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default May be of interest.

This may be of interest .

Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. announced its obtainment of approval in principle (AiP) from Nippon Kaiji Kyokai (ClassNK) for a cargo containment system (CCS) offering the world's largest capacity (40,000 m3 class per tank), developed for use on a large liquefied hydrogen carrier.

The CCS was is designed to contain cryogenic liquefied hydrogen, reduced to a temperature of –253°C and one eight-hundredth its initial volume, for shipping by the sea in large amounts. This containment system has the largest capacity of its kind worldwide used in liquefied hydrogen marine transport. The CCS was developed using design, construction, and safety technologies fostered through the building of the SUISO FRONTIER, a pioneering liquefied hydrogen carrier built by Kawasaki that boasts a 1,250 m3 carrying capacity. In addition, the CCS utilizes a new type of insulation structure.

Bet that would make some bang if involved in a Collision at sea.

Liquid Hydrogen has an expansion of 850 to 1 when it becomes a gas.

Main reason for posting this.

Hydrogen is the first element on the periodic table with one proton and one electron. This also makes it the lightest element on the periodic table with a weight of just 1.0079 amu (atomic mass units). It's also the most abundant element in the universe.
    so why all this rush for EV cars , a con job. Hydrogen has to be the fuel of the future.

Last edited by James Curry; 12th June 2023 at 10:52 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: May be of interest.

James, look around Hydrogen train in London, Hydrogen trucks on the roads,
    Toyota has a Hydrogen car as does Hyundia.
    It certainly is the fuel of the future and from one account I read there are some natural deposits of it around the globe.
    One of our biggest miners had begun a green Hydrogen plant and will supply Japan, Singapore and Philippines with it.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting James, I sailed on a vlcc which had at the time, the largest single cargo tank at 30000 CBM , if my memory serves me right. MARPOL brought in regulations shortly after limiting the size of cargo tanks on crude oil and chemical tankers, 2000 CBM on chemical tankers.
    Rgds
    J.A

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John I sailed on LNG carriers average tank size was 35,000 cubic metres. They are a lot bigger than that now,
    There are basically two types . Membrane and Moss. mem.jpg Moss.jpg
    Phot 1 is a Membrane type and Photo 2 is a Moss type, forgive me if I am trying to tell you what you will already know.
    The Membane type is a a cheaper build than the Moss, but a problem with the ealy Membrane type was sloshing and it was possible to cause damage to the tanks. Advantage with Moss was less sloshing as it had a smaller gas space. The tanks for Moss type were usually Aluimmium and around the equator of the tank it was about 15" thick The tank was just a sphere and sat in the main deck. What you see on a moss is not the cargo tank. That is just a steel protective cover and void space. It was possible to enter the space to check the insulation whish was basically dry foam and attached with staniless steel bands wrapped around the tank. It was possible to walk under the tank.
    The membrance tanks were just that massive tanks gtt-has-developed-the-mark-74547.jpg inside-a-moss-tank-photo-32262.jpg
    The insulation on the Membrane tank again are PVC foam and placed in sections into balso wood frames supported by plywood frames.

In both systems there is a gas space into which is a constant injection of Nitrogen to maintain an inert barrier.

The construction costs of a Moss tank I believe is nearly double the cost of a membrane. But also as older Moss tonnage head to the breakers I believe the Cargo tanks on ocassion have been recyled into new builds.

You may find the attached article interesting.

https://www.mtc-utm.my/wp-content/up...8_Paper/J2.pdf
    Last edited by James Curry; 13th June 2023 at 07:41 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

James
    Never got near to sailing on gas carriers, on my first trip to sea, the 3rd mate was an ex shell guy who had sailed on the methane princess and when I was doing my mates ticket there was on guy who was on a gas tanker that had suffered an explosion whilst in port and he was only saved by being blown overboard, he had suffered burns over large parts of his body and had to wear a special bodysuit to assist in his healing process. A good friend of mine, a chief engineer nearly lost his life on a gas tanker when his B.A set failed, due to poor maintenance, whilst he was inspecting the inert spaces around the gas tanks.
    Think they were ex Bibby line gas tankers we regularly used to see when I was working on Mexico Pacific coast running petroleum and diesel up the west coast ports on Pemex charter, loading in Salina Cruz and discharging in ports all the way up to the Mexico/USA border.
    Rgds
    J.A

8. Thanks cappy, N/A, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Never sailed on a ship with BA, only those comical smoke hoods, fed by a guy on a foot pump. Interesting to me when you say a BA set badly maintained John, got me to wondering what the procedure for wearing and servicing of those sets, presumably compressed air, as opposed to oxygen. Were they checked on a regular basis?, a log book with each set ? someone monitoring from the outside for duration etc. I have a particular interest in BA, and its operation from previous job.
    R689823

10. Likes Tony Taylor, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    Never sailed on a ship with BA, only those comical smoke hoods, fed by a guy on a foot pump. Interesting to me when you say a BA set badly maintained John, got me to wondering what the procedure for wearing and servicing of those sets, presumably compressed air, as opposed to oxygen. Were they checked on a regular basis?, a log book with each set ? someone monitoring from the outside for duration etc. I have a particular interest in BA, and its operation from previous job.
    In Shell I think it was the 2nd mate who maintained the BA sets, could be wrong memory. Kit was used very regularly on drills/exercises. All crew divided into lecture groups and each area of emergency actions, e.g. fire fighting, first aid, BA, Emergency fire pump etc. was demonstrated and crew trained on each on rotational basis so eventually everyone should be conversant with all the kit.
    In 79/80 one of my close neighbours worked for Tyne & Wear brigade and I had more BA time in than him.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They seem to use oxygen an awful lot especially when coming out of anethseptic I was hallucinating for hours after an operation and thats what I put it down to . Found myself crawling along the floor of the ward after climbing out of bed. and there were no bell bottoms down there. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#7. If his name was Tarn , Tony, he became Fire Chief for Northumberland I went to school with his older brother , the one I knew spent a few years on the coast as master before coming with me as Mate offshore in the North Sea. JS
    R575129

14. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #7. If his name was Tarn , Tony, he became Fire Chief for Northumberland I went to school with his older brother , the one I knew spent a few years on the coast as master before coming with me as Mate offshore in the North Sea. JS
    Cant recall his name but don't think it was that, he moved away in 82 ish, got a position at the fire training school in Moreton in Marsh? I think; , he will be retired by now. Only knew one guy in Northumberland brigade by name of Ord, from Seaton Delaval

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast