Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: H2o

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default H2o

In a shopping center where a Toyota car was parked.

It was covered in pamphlets regarding a local power supplier and the side of the car emblazoned with more of that company.

I approached thinking this is just another EV on show,.
    How wrong can you be.

There was a rep from the power company who told me, no this is not an EV, this is the future of motoring, Hydrogen driven vehicles.

Toyota and the power company are working in conjunction for the benefit of both.

He went of to explain, Toyota will not be developing any EV, knew of that from previous readings, but will concentrate on Hydrogen driven ones.
    His company, though a major local power supplier do not see the EV with a life span of more than about another 5 years.
    The cost of raw materials and the production of copper, ten times s much in an EV as conventional ones, will be in the long run a no brainer.

By that time Hydrogen vehicles will be in production in many countries.
    Hyundai have already developed one and there are currently 6 currently on trail in Canberra buy the fed gov for the last 3years.

BP the servo company is installing Hydrogen bowsers in all new built servos and in existing ones in Tasmania.

I read today of the UK gov considering extending the life of ICE vehicles as it will not be possible to install all the charging points required by 2030.

Toyota are considered to be a leader when it comes to vehicle design, so the others will follow.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: H2o

https://www.hydrogenfuelnews.com/how...gen-fuel-made/

https://wrightbus.com/en-gb/wrightbu...-co2-emissions

I understand that Birmingham , London and Aberdeeen already have hydrogen fuelled buses in service since April 2021.

They are manufacteured by Wrightbus based in Ballymena Nothern Ireland , Wrightbus was bought over by JCB in 2019.

So a first for the UK then.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The way to go at the moment if your thinking of buying a new motor is rechargeable hybrid as opposed to self charging hybrid. A RCH can do enough milage per day for the average drive around town and if the occasional longer run then it switches over to petrol engine. Some of the RCH vehicles can average 60 miles on a charge and overnight charging at cheap rate if you on economy 7 tariff. If everyone bought electric there would be chaos. Net zero is unaffordable and unobtainable. Oil be it Bio oil will be still used in a thousand years time. Machinery cannot run without it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks James, that is of great interest to me and others who like me see it as the future.

One of our big miners here is now producing at a rate of knots and will sell much to Taiwan in a deal he has made with them.
    A number of other companies are also begining to start up on this.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Likes James Curry liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why do I keep getting this mental picture of driving a electric car from sydney to brisbane on the motorway and taking a BBQ with me to set up at the charging station while I wait for the other thousand cars to finish charging. Going to be a bloody long wait for sure. Another thing that baffles me is. I know the price of diesel, petrol and gas but there never seems to be any price sign for charging a EV. Is it free
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Les Woodard View Post
    Why do I keep getting this mental picture of driving a electric car from sydney to brisbane on the motorway and taking a BBQ with me to set up at the charging station while I wait for the other thousand cars to finish charging. Going to be a bloody long wait for sure. e
    You don't need a mental picture Les, on the Christmas Bank Holiday, there was a six hour waiting time to get to the chargers on the M5 from Birmingham to Torquay for EV's normally a 2.5/3 hour journey in a petrol car, so could do the return journey in my petrol car and still have fuel in the tank

8. Thanks Les Woodard thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    https://www.hydrogenfuelnews.com/how...gen-fuel-made/

https://wrightbus.com/en-gb/wrightbu...-co2-emissions

I understand that Birmingham , London and Aberdeeen already have hydrogen fuelled buses in service since April 2021.

They are manufacteured by Wrightbus based in Ballymena Nothern Ireland , Wrightbus was bought over by JCB in 2019.

So a first for the UK then.
    There is a project running in Orkney since 2016 where wave generated energy is used to generate hydrogen from water, the hydrogen is used to fuel some inter island ferries and also fuels some local authority vehicles. Very innovative and I believe its use is expanding, Hydrogen in Orkney - take a look -

10. Thanks James Curry thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#5, not silly as you think Les.
    Programme on Quest TV a few weeks ago, using an electric to travel the length of Norway. Pull into a charging station connect the car and start the charge. Open an auxiliary flap an plug in the electric BBQ he presto sausages whilst you want.
    Vic
    R879855

12. Thanks Les Woodard thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So why is there so much hype about EV when in fact they are no more than glorified golf carts with a higher price tag. Might be okay for local use but still no one has said how much you have to pay to get charged up at a service station. Especially when Ivan points out that a three hour trip will have an additional six hours added to it in peak traffic. Can you just imagine doing that with a few kids in the car just sitting around for hours. Think sucide rates could end up going through the roof or murders.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Les, I have done a study on these things, thought for a few seconds of maybe getting one.
    But distance is the enemy along with price, life of battery which in many instances cannot be changed
    Lack of infrastructure for charging plus time needed to do so.
    Cost of charger required at home to charge plus cost of installing and in some cases depending on your power set up it may need a dedicated circuit, more cost.

Then if you go bush, which many do at weekends, you cannot take a couple of cans of power to top up, you can however take a couple of cans of fuel.
    So maybe as a local shopping basket it could work, but anything else look very long and hard.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast